Guangzhou Warnings and Dangers

by l_joo
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by THLIN

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Guangzhou

• Taxi driver in Guangzhou (Daylight Robbery)

by jacyee Updated Aug 11, 2009

You heard about the 100 RMB bill switching that takes place. How about getting over-charged more than 5 times the normal price ?

This took place on July 30, 2009. I left HKG and arrived at Guangzhou railway station. Immediately upon our arrival after crossing the gate at customs, a man presented himself as a taxi service. As it was pouring outside, I seized the opportunity and found it convenient.

On the way to his vehicle, he insisted to carry my luggage which I certainly found normal.

I made the biggest mistake of my life by first accepting this ride in a van (not a green taxi) despite I was warned to use only taxi with meters. When I got to this so-called taxi (van), another guy asked me to pay immediately which I did not find odd at that time as sometimes you can be in a situation where you pay for your travel expenses beforehand.

He asked for me RMB 280 ( a regular taxi would cost 50 RMB for the same trip) and asked me for another RMB 100 if I want to take the highway option. I refused and I took the RMB 280. Once I was inside the van, I made sure that I could opened the window (just in case) and I pretended calling someone on my mobile.

I arrived at the hotel safe and sound. I even gave 20 RMB as tips to the driver as he asked me for "tips"...This is one of the only english word he knew.

So lesson learned: Never never never get into this type of taxi service at the first exit of the railway station and instead go take a taxi at the official line up location...
    (Yes I admitted that I was stupid (big time)and naive in my decision).

And by the way, do not count on the authority to crack down on such ops... there is no such thing in this part of China

If you can avoid Guangzhou, please do so as this city has (unless you are attending the Canton Fair) is full of Scammers, fake bills, fake goods, beggars and of course people like my filthy scum piece of garbage taxi driver

NB My wife and my daughter were travelling with me.
    Rgds
    Never-will-be-back-in-Guanzghou

• Trains
    • Business Travel

• Beware of Guangzhou taxi scam

by Ex-Buckeye Written Sep 17, 2007

I hailed a taxi from Landmark Hotel Canton going to Baiyun Airport. On reaching the airport, the driver claimed the fare was RMB120. I paid using a RMB100 note and a RMB20 note. Just as quickly, the driver handed me back a RMB100 note and told me that he cannot accept the note as it was snipped in the corner. I distinctly noted that I had given him an older note but the one he returned to me was fairly new. As I was in a hurry to check-in, I reluctantly gave him another RMB100 in exchange. My concern that the RMB100 note was a fake one was proven when I showed the note to a cashier in the cafe terminal. She remarked that it was a remarkable counterfeit piece. So anyone who is taking a cab in Guangzhou and possibly any other cities in China, do be very careful of this scam. I made a mistake of not sitting in the front passenger seat beside the driver. This gave him ample time to fish out a fake note to exchange for a genuine piece.

• MJL's Profile Photo

ALWAYS RECONFIRM YOUR DOMESTIC...

by MJL Written Aug 24, 2002

ALWAYS RECONFIRM YOUR DOMESTIC (and Chines carriers' international) FLIGHTS !

If you are going to meet local guide, she/he usually asks to see tickets and she/he will reconfirm them. However if you are travelling alone without a local guide remember reconfirm tickets at least 2-3 days before flight. Use airline's ticket office or ticket office in your hotel.

I have made several domestic flights in China and every time at least one flight have been changed, cancelled etc. During my last trip flight from Guilin to Kunming was cancelled same morning and I was transferred to another flight.

• simcard's Profile Photo

What a bath!

by simcard Written Oct 8, 2003

I was walking on the Haizhu bridge and saw people watching down at the pearl river. I walked up and caught such a funny picture. A man was bathing himself in the water. Oh no, the water is yukky!! But he seemed to enjoy himself so much - maybe also knowing he had audience?

• Confucius's Profile Photo

Common sense and caution crossing Canton streets

by Confucius Updated May 16, 2007

As with any other large city in China, (or throughout the world for that matter) one should use caution when crossing the streets of Guangzhou.

Not all crosswalks have "Walk" and "Don't Walk" signals, so you must use your eyes and your own discretion. Yet even when a "Walk" signal exists and gives you the green light, you still have to be wary of vehicles making right turns. Never assume that pedestrians have the right of way anywhere in Guangzhou.

Recently Guangzhou banned motorcycles from downtown streets. This was done in response to the high number of crimes committed by motorcycle bandits who snatched purses in drive-by muggings.

Look both ways when crossing the streets of Canton

Kids selling Roses

by Sobe-A-Rush Written Apr 15, 2005

Many of the busy areas like Tee Mall, Bar streets and Garden hotel area have quite a few kids selling roses and mainy go after couples. They will follow you for a long time and its super annoying, so maybe dont walk together around them...

kids selling roses at a bar street
    • Business Travel

Beggers near Tee Mall

by Sobe-A-Rush Updated Apr 18, 2005

Near Tee Mall there is a lot of Beggers, a lot of kids, like 3-10 year old just jump on to your legs and wont let go till you give them something. Also quite a few kids selling roses to couples and when they see foreigners thell walk after you forever, maybe just walk serperate

• Singles
    • Seniors

Cell Phones for Sale

by Sobe-A-Rush Updated Mar 9, 2005

At the Metro stations and on the streets people will come up to you with phones. Some of them are fake phones but still will work, some of the phones will be real so just make sure. My friend bought one and the guy had the phone in his jacket, showed us that it worked and the cam aswell. Walked acouple more meters and he ended up selling him a toy phone. Quickly said to put away because of cops and the guy walked away. It would turn on and say low battery and just turn off, it ended up to be a toy phone with weights in side the frame.

• Singles

• THLIN's Profile Photo

Madarin?! Cantonese!!!

by THLIN Written Jan 3, 2009

If you are like myself, a Mandarin speaker, you might find it a bit difficult to move around in Guangzhou since Cantonese is much more widely spoken here. I have encountered a few occasion that we could not talk to each other due to the language issue.
    Well, this is not really a big deal, but it is just annoying sometimes.

• Drugging in outdoor shopping market

by rachhillberg Written Jul 6, 2009

When I was in Guangzhou for the first time on business I was touring around an outdoor shopping market near the Holiday Inn. I was being careful and carrying my backpack on my front but I guess I wasn't careful enough. I felt a prick on my arm and ignored it at first thinking it was an insect but then a few minutes later I started feeling very light headed and almost drunk. I am very sure I was drugged so that I could be a better target to be robbed. Luckily I did have a travel companion who assisted me back to my hotel. I am a very independent female traveler and business women and have never felt as afraid for my life as I did in Guangzhou. This city is extremely crowded, polluted and the people for the most part dishonest and looking to rip you off. Be very careful when visiting this city and do NOT go alone!

• aznsophisticat's Profile Photo

Taxi Drivers outside the Airport

by aznsophisticat Written Jul 7, 2007

We were outside the Guangzhou Airport at night, looking for a taxi, when we were faced with a swarm of men offering amazing rates and fast "delivery". My parents were quite trusting of them, so they selected a taxi and started packing our possessions in it. After a while, we got into the taxi and it started driving away. Suddenly, we noticed that the taxi was driving farther and farther away from where we wanted to be. My dad started calling his brother, who told him that we were nowhere near the hotel we were to stay at. When we began confronting the taxi driver, he was very evasive. Every few minutes, he would call someone else while speaking in a dialect that we could not understand. Finally, my father made him pull over to ask for directions, then drive us to the right hotel. We alerted the police- so the lesson is, make sure you are riding in a taxi owned by a reputable company.

• sutedja's Profile Photo

NO INFORMATION PLEASE!

by sutedja Written Mar 21, 2011

When I visited Guangzhou, I use travel agent to have sight seeing in Guangzhou. My Guide is very nice person. But when someone ask him about direction or things he explained (e.g. in museum) he never replied anything and keep silent. Then at the end of the tour, I ask him that is it common in Guangzhou that people will not reply anything when someone in need of help for direction or something else? He said, yes...it is common. Then I think to myself that, never expect help from someone when you are lost or in danger. Very mean country! So well prepare yourself before visiting Guangzhou or even China.

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Extreme humidity

by Skibbe Written Sep 8, 2002

If you go in the summer, prepare for the heat. I've never sweated like I did in Guangzhou and I'm from Texas. Do like most locals and find a drink and a shady spot in one of the cities many large and well maintained parks.

Finding a little shade in a Guangzhou park

• Fake Liquor and other Scams by Liquor Stores

by rodeoride Written Oct 9, 2012

Cheater liquor stores abound. They would sell you liquor but many turn out fake. Real bottles but fake contents. Clerks even pulled a trick on me by showing me a bottle of maotai that broke when i lifted it up. Obviously the bottle was defective from the beginning but the clerk demanded that i pay for the liquor which she pegged at RMB 10,000. Outrageous!!!! So be careful about different liquor scams such as these....better buy your liquor at big supermarkets to be safe

• Imran_Sk8_GZ's Profile Photo

My experience.

by Imran_Sk8_GZ Written Mar 28, 2014

Im starting my second year here as a teaching in Guanzghou. First off I am Pakistani by ethnicity and am born and bred in the USA so I really look foreign. I can speak a brief amount of very practical Mandarin and I live in a very Chinese neighborhood/area that has few to no foreigners and everything here is not catered to English speakers what so ever. I am writing all of this because I think you guys have had bad luck. I've met a ton of foreigners who come here and have a fun and safe time. In fact I feel safer here than I do back home in Los Angeles, California or even when I was going to uni in San Francisco. Point being my experience here has been safe and fun as well as the other foreigners i Know.

Instant Answers: Guangzhou

• Jul 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I am english my wife is from gaunzhou we have a family apartment here .
    I have travelled many places and to be honest if you use common sense have your wits about you its fine . I dont speak any chinese and i have been on many tours on my own with local travel companies.
    Never been ripped off always found them polite and very helpful so i dont know what all the fuss is about the only trouble i had was with an american guy who showed absolutey no repect for any chinese people so maybe if you look for trouble you will find it .
    I've been backwards and forward to canton for years and i will def go back again soon .
    If you want trouble try london or Manchester or many of the other cities in Good old blighty because they get paid by the goverment to be trouble buy drugs and get drunk .
    Chinese people work hard and have good family values and some have a really hard life no benefits like us .

• Feb 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Well, i have read various crime stories, I am going to GZ for the first time to attend an exhibition. I have been in contact with some representatives of companies who deal in the products that I want to order from GZ for my business abroad Most of these representatives use gmail or yahoo mail etc...not their company's official email address. I have been offerred by a couple of representative that they can meet me upon arrival at the airport, show me their factory or showroom first and then drop me at the hotel, which I have accepted. I know its could be risky. The fake notes swap, even ATM is not safe, attitude and all these things are very serious. I am a North American but my look is Middle Eastern, and I do not speak any chinese language other than English. Is it safe to trust some companies representatives to drive you around? Any advice, appreciate, Mike.

Guangzhou Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Guangzhou warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guangzhou sightseeing.