Guangzhou Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by THLIN

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Guangzhou

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

Sick Building??? Just a word...

by kimberbakos Written Aug 26, 2002

Sick Building??? Just a word of caution for you who are thinking of staying at the White Swan. Of the families that I have know who stayed there, at least 1/3 of them got very sick during their visit. The symptoms are dizziness, nauseau, and a sense of 'other worldliness' that can't really be put into words. It was like a bad drug reaction and left me unable to even write. My friend was so dizzy she could hardly walk. This has happened with many people travelling at different times, so it isn't something that anyone caught from anyone else. I don't know what it is at the Swan that causes this reaction, but it is so prevelant that I thought it was worth a mention.

• One problem about living in...

by Alister Written Aug 25, 2002

One problem about living in Guangzhou or any city in China is that many Chinese no little or nothing about Western life and habits (I'm from Melbourne, Australia). In short, the Chinese are obsessed with food and meal times. They will often be shocked to hear that you haven't had dinner at 8:00 pm at night. They will be equally suprised to learn that you don't eat steamed rice with all of your meals.

Almost every Chinese I come across thinks that the Australian, American or British diet consists only of sandwiches, hamburgers or a slab steak. I find myself continually being asked whether or not I eat and am accustomed to eating Chinese food. I explain that I like Chinese cuisine, but do not eat it every day I spend here (I've lived in China over three years). Chuck agrees with me.

• w3ejijunchen's Profile Photo

Just becareful When you across...

by w3ejijunchen Written Aug 24, 2002

Just becareful When you across the streets. And please don't go to Guangzhou in Apirl, if you just to visit Guangzhou, because there will be a very market meeting during that Apirl and another days around fall. You can not find a hotel.

• luciano's Profile Photo

Don't go to the CITS if you...

by luciano Written Aug 24, 2002

Don't go to the CITS if you need any information!
    If you are near the train station, you better go to the 'information office for travellers' (or something like that) on the street that goes west from it, between the bus stations. Attention! there are at least three bus stations: one on a corner, crossing the avenue from the train station, and the other two just a couple of blocks to the west, facing each other.

• foboftheyear's Profile Photo

Scandalous cab drivers

by foboftheyear Written Dec 27, 2007

If you're a foreigner and don't speak the language well, make sure you go in a group if you ever take a cab from the Guangzhou airport (or anywhere in Guangzhou for that matter). A lot of these guys are out to take advantage of foreigners whenever they can. So try to stay in a group of 3 if you can. They usually don't dare to try anything when you're in a bigger group. I've even heard of horror stories of people getting kidnapped and had their organs taken (Yes, organs as in kidneys, heart, etc). This is extremely rare but its always better to be safe than sorry.

• School Holidays

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Hotels crazy prices increase during Apr-May

by l_joo Updated May 2, 2012
    Windows view of my hotel during May

Be warned to those coming to Guangzhou on April 15 till May 5 each year, the reason is the yearly trading fair & meeting in the city of Guangzhou during these time of year. It is believe (according to what local peoples told me) with an estimate 10000+ of representatives and traders coming from all directions to gather at Guangzhou and therefore hotel prices gone up by 200 – 300% during these period. Budget hotels too grab this golden opportunity to increase their price.

Also be warned that the temperature of May is crazy hot at an average of 30+ celsius, you will be sweat like rain only after 30 minutes of walk on the street, the wind too is hot like hair dryer. The best way of waering is sleeveless singlet and short pants with a pair of sporty shoes, with or without underwear is up to you.

Even taking a city bus or a Metro is a big torture during this period because you will have to fight for a place at anytime.

Photos uploaded are the low budget hotel (deep inside a residential district, far away from city center) that I stayed during May, the price increased up to 168 Yuan for a single room, normal price is 80 Yuan.

• Photography

• Fake Liquor and other Scams by Liquor Stores

by rodeoride Written Oct 9, 2012

Cheater liquor stores abound. They would sell you liquor but many turn out fake. Real bottles but fake contents. Clerks even pulled a trick on me by showing me a bottle of maotai that broke when i lifted it up. Obviously the bottle was defective from the beginning but the clerk demanded that i pay for the liquor which she pegged at RMB 10,000. Outrageous!!!! So be careful about different liquor scams such as these....better buy your liquor at big supermarkets to be safe

• happy128's Profile Photo

threathening one day trip shopping stops

by happy128 Updated Mar 7, 2013

The tour guide will take you to shopping stops, beware of the jewelry shops, looked like a scam to me. The same trick: always the boss will come to entertain guess, give a ridiculos price discount, a few thousand price tag jade/jewelry offered at Rm100-200 as a friendship gesture.

Beware of Kanghui Travel agency, we signed up a day tour Gaungzhou city tour with them , paid over Rmb200 per person, the tour bus was was really old and no air-conditioner, we almost suffocate throughout the journey. The jewelry shop male attendants looked like gansters, very fierce and threatening when we refused to buy anything.

• Imran_Sk8_GZ's Profile Photo

My experience.

by Imran_Sk8_GZ Written Mar 28, 2014

Im starting my second year here as a teaching in Guanzghou. First off I am Pakistani by ethnicity and am born and bred in the USA so I really look foreign. I can speak a brief amount of very practical Mandarin and I live in a very Chinese neighborhood/area that has few to no foreigners and everything here is not catered to English speakers what so ever. I am writing all of this because I think you guys have had bad luck. I've met a ton of foreigners who come here and have a fun and safe time. In fact I feel safer here than I do back home in Los Angeles, California or even when I was going to uni in San Francisco. Point being my experience here has been safe and fun as well as the other foreigners i Know.

• pkfops's Profile Photo

Say No To the Flower Children

by pkfops Updated Sep 24, 2002

Say no to children who want to sell you a flower. If they persist tell them you will call
    the police; that works.

To avoid pick pockets, I carry a small amount of cash and a credit card in a thin two fold wallet in my front pocket. ( a water proof wallet that can be found in a sporting goods store)

Other than that the locals are warm and friendly.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Surrounded by water

by Gili_S Written Dec 26, 2007

The city is surrounded by water and in some places there is no fence or barrier between the road and the water, so watch your step.

• Chris_Dahlia's Profile Photo

In Shantou, you can see...

by Chris_Dahlia Written Oct 4, 2002

In Shantou, you can see motorbikes everywhere. It is the most common traffic so to say. Be careful when you cross the road. Look out and not to be knocked.

Instant Answers: Guangzhou

• Jul 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I am english my wife is from gaunzhou we have a family apartment here .
    I have travelled many places and to be honest if you use common sense have your wits about you its fine . I dont speak any chinese and i have been on many tours on my own with local travel companies.
    Never been ripped off always found them polite and very helpful so i dont know what all the fuss is about the only trouble i had was with an american guy who showed absolutey no repect for any chinese people so maybe if you look for trouble you will find it .
    I've been backwards and forward to canton for years and i will def go back again soon .
    If you want trouble try london or Manchester or many of the other cities in Good old blighty because they get paid by the goverment to be trouble buy drugs and get drunk .
    Chinese people work hard and have good family values and some have a really hard life no benefits like us .

• Feb 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Well, i have read various crime stories, I am going to GZ for the first time to attend an exhibition. I have been in contact with some representatives of companies who deal in the products that I want to order from GZ for my business abroad Most of these representatives use gmail or yahoo mail etc...not their company's official email address. I have been offerred by a couple of representative that they can meet me upon arrival at the airport, show me their factory or showroom first and then drop me at the hotel, which I have accepted. I know its could be risky. The fake notes swap, even ATM is not safe, attitude and all these things are very serious. I am a North American but my look is Middle Eastern, and I do not speak any chinese language other than English. Is it safe to trust some companies representatives to drive you around? Any advice, appreciate, Mike.

Guangzhou Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Guangzhou warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guangzhou sightseeing.