Kaiping Things to Do

• Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Kaiping

Li Yuan: Gates of Genghua Village

by cal6060 Written Sep 17, 2013

These are the old main gates to Genghua Village (賡华村). This was the initial gates that were used to enter the Li Yuan. The gate on the left has the upper floor to allow the security guard to rest also safeguard the village. It has traditional roofs with gold and green color. The gate on the right has a simple outlook with traditional Guangdong motifs crafted on the roof. If you look carefully, there are crafted ribbon and arts of western design on the edge of the panel roof.

Li Yuan: Yun Mei Buildings

by cal6060 Written Sep 16, 2013

Yun Mei Building, Li Yuan

Yun Mei Buildings look beautiful with typical Guangdong architectural style. I could not find any information related to these buildings. I am guesting they were old school building and a library. Toward the end of the building, I also found an old structure. Based on the Chinese characters crafted on top of the building, it was the Yun Mei Village's newspaper publication office.

In Chinese: 云眉, yun mei

Li Yuan or Li Garden

by cal6060 Updated Sep 16, 2013

Li Yuan Stone Arche-Gate

Li Yuan (立园) means Li Garden in Chinese. It is called Li Yuan because the village was built with the focus of the Garden with a combination of western and the Chinese landscaping. Li Yuan was built by an Oversea Chinese in America, Mr. Xie Wei Li from 1926 and completed in 1936.

I usually have seen some pictures of a place before I visit, but not Li Yuan. It was a total surprise to visit this attraction in Kaiping.

From the main entrance, I was greeted by a huge yellow stone arched-gate with two Chinese characters "立园", the use of the founder's name Wei Li. Then, I passed by a garden with a roll of houses looked like old school buildings named Yun Mei (云眉). It was nicely built but was not open for visitation. Along the way to the Genghua Village's main entrance, there is a performing stage. It was a Kungfu dancing show during my visit. The gate to Genghua Village is unique to the western design of the Chinese roofs. Pan Li Mansion (泮立楼), Jiong Mansion (炯庐), Le Tian Tower (乐天楼), and Ming Mansion (明庐) are lined in one straight line and behind of Huang Mansion (晃庐), Pan Wen Mansion (泮文楼), and Wen Mansion (稳庐).

Li Yuan was built harmoniously the elements of Chinese traditional gardening, Southern China Watertown style landscaping and Western architecture. The garden is arranged in three main areas; grand garden, mansions and small garden. Each area is separated by man-made canals while connected elegantly by footbridge and pathways. The grand garden includes the Western design structures; The Bird Nest and Vine Pavilion. Yu Pei Villa (毓培别墅) is a mansion in the garden separated by canals with the Little Garden.

The Tiger Hill is situated behind the village, which bring prosperity in Feng Shui theory.

Diaolou Buildings are open for visitation: Pan Li Mansion, Jiong Mansion, Pan Wen Mansion, and Yu Pei Villa.

Also read, the emigration history of Xie Family.

Admission: 100 Yuan; or Joint Ticket with other Kaiping Attraction 180 Yuan.

Ever Joint Hotel

by karen75 Updated Mar 16, 2008

A picture of the Ever Joint Hotel and the Bank of China building on the other side of the river from where my Grandparent's live. Apparently the Ever Joint Hotel (pretty bad name for a hotel !) is a five star hotel in Kaiping. Living in North America, I can't say I would rate it five stars but for Kaiping, it's the best of the best. I had a chance to view a room since my Aunt booked one after my Uncle had flown in from Beijing or Shanghai (was there for business) and visted with us for a few days in Kaiping. They have since purchased an apartment overlooking the Tan Jiang River and the Ever Joint Hotel.

The Ever Joint hotel serves Dim Sum in their restaurant.

• Business Travel

Glass Boat

by karen75 Updated Mar 16, 2008

The Glass Boat isn't a real boat. It's a restaurant where we went to eat just about every single day we were in Chang Sha. The food is pretty good and the prices are really cheap (if you're not from China). I think for the locals, it's probably a bit pricey. I had the plate of fried rice every time I went. My family had all sorts of stuff like Congee, Fish, Fried Noodles, etc etc.

• Massage

by Kaiping Written Dec 11, 2007

Kaiping is a relatively boring city but one of the great things to do is just having a nice massage. I would recommend foot massage which is really cheap about $50rmb for two hours. Its great to have when you have wander all day and your feet is tired. A body massage will cost about the same and they do an excellent job. I usually fall asleep half way and wake up energize afterwards. A tip of $5rmb or more is always welcome by the staff because most of them make less than $50rmb a day but it is not required.

There are also other mature massages in Kaiping but I will not go into it. All taxi drivers know the different locations and can recommend the best spots. Just be friendly with them and they will kindly advice you.

• Movie set

by Kaiping Written Dec 11, 2007

There is a movie set in the small town of chikan which is about 15 minutes taxi ride from the main city of Kaiping. Admission is about $30rmb. It is a nice place to visit if you are in the area and especially since there is not much to do in Kaiping. Various movies have used the set in the past.

Chang Sha Park

by karen75 Updated Feb 3, 2007

My dad came to this park almost every day at 3 pm because that's when they had free Chinese Opera Concerts. Lots of the locals hang out here with their friends - mainly the elderly. They come here to hang out and gamble / play dominos and other games. It's a great place to people watch.

• Music

Map of Kaiping at Liyuan Gardens

by karen75 Updated Jun 14, 2006

Map of Kaiping

It's rare to find a good map of Kaiping that shows the names of the villages in Chinese and English. I found this map in one of the buildings at Liyuan Gardens. This particular building has articles and pictures that talk about the history of the watchtowers in Kaiping.

Liyuan Garden

by karen75 Written Jul 6, 2005

Liyuan Garden

It was a really hot day and I did not want to go to Liyuan Garden but my mother made me go. I'm kind of glad that I went because there was actually a lot of things to see and I learned a bit more about the history of Kaiping and the watchtowers. We had to hire a driver in Chang Sha to take us to Liyuan Garden. Going back to Chang Sha, we had to walk out to the main road and flag a bus.

Mom's Village

by karen75 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Visited my mother's village which is in an area called Bai He. The picture shows the name of the bridge that leads to my mother's village.

Dad's Village

by karen75 Updated Jun 14, 2006

Here is a view of my dad's village from the back. Where it's green, there used to be a lake over forty years ago.

Mom's Village

by karen75 Written Jul 9, 2005

Mom's old house

This is a picture of my mother's old house. My mom was actually born in this house and lived here for a few years before moving close to Chang Sha, then Kowloon, HK and then Canada.

Instant Answers: Kaiping

Comments

Kaiping Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kaiping things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kaiping sightseeing.