Shenzhen Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Shenzhen

• Tim88's Profile Photo

Money changers who give counterfet yuan

by Tim88 Written Oct 6, 2009

A good friend who was visiting me in Hong Kong went shopping in Shenzhen on his own. I'm not sure of the entire story as it happened some time back but in essence he paid for an item in yuan then the people gave him back his money and said they wanted different bills for some reason. He is not stupid but also doesn't understand Chinese. He figured it out on the 3rd exchange.

He now had several hundred fake yuan. What would you do? That's probably what he did.
    Be careful about counting your change or getting fake currency!

• Tim88's Profile Photo

Pick pockets

by Tim88 Written Oct 6, 2009

Pickpockets can operate anytime in Shenzhen. When I traveled there I always used precautions such as a zippered or buttoned pocket or hidden pouch. Only one day and for only one hour did I not.

It was a beautiful sunny week day around 11am. We were in a shopping area but not near the Hong Kong border crossing. There were few people walking the streets. I had just paid a bill the local hospital and we were going to get some lunch, hense, I filed to use the usual measures. Along came a horse drawn wagon which was overflowing with beautiful flowers. I stopped to get a picture. I briefly saw a shadow, a face, and then felt strangely lighter. I didn't loose very much money because they struck to late! But I had a hard time getting all my
    id's and various cards back! I did keep my passport safe thankfully!

My point: Don't just think you are at risk at night or in crowded places!!!

Unique Suggestions: Sew buttons or zippers in pockets of your cloths to keep your valuables safe but having easy access to your cash. Keep your passport and ID seperate and more secure!

• alex_thang's Profile Photo

Fake MP4 player

by alex_thang Updated Nov 3, 2006

Be aware when you buy mp4 player in Lowu Comercial Centre.
    All the seller will traps you with their fake memory. I have bought 2 gig mp4 player "copy nano", they will connect the player in their notebook, and showed me the properties that is really 2 giga. Then I tried to copy 400 mb mp3 file(about 100 songs) in this player, it success. But I forgot to read the 100 songs, I only play the 5 first songs, it can play.
    But when I back to my country I realized that the real memory is only128 mb. But still 2 giga(2000 mb) when you check in properties. I bought it Rmb 180 (US$ 20). And the memory for camera such as memory stick duo, micro mmc, secure disk, and so in....all fake memory in all Lo Wu Shopping Centre.
    If you want the really memory, the best tips from me is go to Hua Quiang Bei, wholesaler computer and electronic in Shenzhen. They sell original memory.

Instant Answers: Shenzhen

Comments

Shenzhen Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Shenzhen tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shenzhen sightseeing.