For vegetarians, have not fear for hunger as you will find that most of the lodges in Dazhai has abundance of vegetables and they are real fresh ..... each family has a patch of land which they grow simple vegetables. They will most likely just pick the vegetables ordered directly from the farm and cook for you. The vegetables, lightly fried with some garlic and/or ginger, are delectable and enough to make you hungry.
Favorite Dish: These are 2 simple vegetarian dishes which we had eaten almost 3/4 of it. Serving is large.
1) Fried strips of potatoes
2) Fried leafy green vegetables
Cost : for 2dishes 20yuan
This is a heavy dinner.... somehow we have over-ordered!
Favorite Dish: The hilight is the Bamboo rice - it's glutinious rice cooked in bamboo. Rice, mushrooms, groundnuts and sauce are inserted into bamboo tubes and baked till cooked. To eat, split the bamboo into half and ....there, you have your delicious bamboo rice. The pure aroma of the rice will make you hungry! Rice is glutinious so the fill is heavy - better share a "tube" of the rice between 2pax. (Bamboo rice : 12yuan per tube)
Side dishes : clockwise..
1) Spicy tofu - slightly spicy and nice soft texture , Cost :12yuan
2) Pumpkin - soft and delicious. Cost :10yuan
3) Woodear with meat - a kind of fungus (black in colour) cooked with meat and a dash of wine. Woodear, good for cholestrol . Cost :20 yuan
Favorite Dish: Guilin "mi fun" (noodles) is famous all over Guilin. As Dazhai is part of Guilin, no doubt, you will get to experience their famous noodles. At Tian Ti - breakfast is a simple serving of Guilin "mi-fun" in soup, topped with some vegetables and a poached egg. You want it to be spicy like I love it to be - ask for chillies to be added. If you are not used to eating spicy - ask them to serve the chillies on a sauce plate instead of putting the load on the soup.
Light and delicious breakfast for 6yuan per pax
Cooked by the the family of Mrs Pan ...
Have your meal at the balcony of lodge - especially during dinner. Air is fresh and cooling ... and you can hear a cricket or two making sounds in the deep of the mountain.
Favorite Dish: Ordered 2 dishes :
1) Wild frogs (basically frogs found in rice fields) fried in spicy sauce - You must really try this - it's not so gross as you might think - the flesh is tender and sweet. The sauce that has soaked into it makes it taste even more yummy. About 40yuan
2) Spring onions with egg - like a pancake. Vegetables were freshly plucked from the farm nearby... About 12yuan
** Drown with rice wine (abt 5yuan) ... viola, you will have a satisfied meal!