Guilin Favorites

• Favorites
    by Willettsworld

Most Recent Favorites in Guilin

• myspices's Profile Photo

Pomelo - Fruit in Guilin (1)

by myspices Written Oct 13, 2007

Pomeloes on sale

Favorite thing: The pomelo - a kind of fruit that has a thick yellowish green or light green skin. Its flesh looks slightly like the grapefruit but it is sweeter (sometimes a tint of sour) and bigger in shape. During the hot weather, pomeloes are a good thirst quencher. They are sold as a whole fruit and not in slices. The pomelo trees can be very high or very low. See more pics on the pomelo trees - one high and one low..

• Radiomom's Profile Photo

The Reed Flute Cave

by Radiomom Written Jul 21, 2007

Favorite thing: I think it is called this as they did a concert here and they play the music from it -- the echos and the lighted stalagtites and stalacmites
    are gorgeous. This is something that will be on a "China Tour" if you are on one -- and it is lovely. Certainly a worthwhile stop.

Fondest memory: Get out of your hotel and go to the night market. This is a lovely town and it is a joy just to wander the main streets to see people enjoying themselves.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Bloopers when taking photographs

by albaaust Written Jan 18, 2007

This could have won a prize save for the guy!!#!!

Favorite thing: I only realised this when I got home. Travelling through such breathtaking scenery you get so "blown away" as you click that you don't see the finer details!!

As you take the photos be aware of minute things which afterwards you'll be saying "I wish I had noticed that!!" eg some of my mistakes...other people taking same photo and somehow they end up in your photo which could have won a prize!!(and you cannot edit them out?##).....power lines....poles in the corner...not allowing for light/sun at the camera..

See my "beautiful photos"

• Luxury Travel

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Best time for Li Jiang (River Li) Cruise

by SLLiew Written Oct 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Different seasons and different weathers will display the Guilin mountains in different light.

But the recommended best time for a river cruise is April, May, September and October. Of course, best time is the most tourist crowded time especially duing the Golden week during the first week of October.

River water level will vary accordingly during the wet and dry season.

• magor65's Profile Photo

Guilin shopping and restaurant zone

by magor65 Written Feb 23, 2005

Guilin shopping and restaurant zone

Favorite thing: The new shopping and restaurant zone in the city centre resembles other places of this kind all over the world. It is elegant, clean, with lots of decorative verdure and lights. It is free of motor traffic.

• Katieswk's Profile Photo

Eating out tip

by Katieswk Written Oct 2, 2004

Favorite thing: Due to most of the restaurants or cafes in West Street are small and family run, don't try to go with over 8 peoples at the same time, otherwise, food will be served late. Some of you may finish their meal, but other still waiting. Also, in the winter evening, sit outside is not recommand unless you want to enjoy a "cold" meal or just relex for a beer. Dishes get cold very quick in the winter time.

Billboards..........

by herzog63 Written Oct 6, 2003

Billboards

Favorite thing: At the time I got a big kick out of the Pearl Cream billboard as was being advertised heavily in the US and just hearing that lady metioning being younger from using "Pearl Cream"! There billboards of all kinds usually over a business.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Visit the caves if it's raining

by herzog63 Written Oct 5, 2003

Cave formations

Favorite thing: I picked a day where it was pouring rain to visit the caves. It worked out great as I was underground and enjoying myself instead of sloshing around in the rain. Also it was quite warm inside the caves unlike outside.

Stalagmites and stalactites

by herzog63 Written Oct 5, 2003

Guilin Caves

Favorite thing: Stalagmites are the ones that appear to be rising from the cave floor and stalactites are the ones the are growing from the ceiling as the mineral deposits are dripping down. They sure look cool. The lighting in the caves is a little tacky at times but at least it's possible to see the cool formations.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

The Li river

by Luchonda Written Jun 28, 2003

J.Bond in China

Favorite thing: Once in Guilin - you have to visit and cross the river by boat.
    It will take you out in a landscape of mystery and every mountain will tell it's story.
    use a little bit yr imagination and you will recognize elephants - dragons etc.

Fondest memory: It reminds me at Phuket in Thailand !
    Fabulous landscapes !

• tini58de's Profile Photo

What a fabulous place!

by tini58de Written Dec 26, 2002

Guilin

Favorite thing: Fantastic scenery, friendly people, exciting things to discover by just walking around - a fabulous place to be!

Fondest memory: While walking along the river and through the city, we were spoken to more than once! But it was not mainly of the "hey, i got something for you" type, but rather the friendly type thing: "welcome stranger"! I had the feeling, that people enjoyed talking to us and using their English just as much as they did advertising their little businesses! Because even after we told them, that we were not really interested in their pictures, they still talked to us and remained very friendly!

• You have to take the Li River...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: You have to take the Li River cruise! It's absolutely wonderful to see the beautiful mountains surrounding you... the oddest ones you will ever encounter, like my picture above (of which I have a ton of similar photos). It's not uncommon to see Water Buffalo on the banks, and you may even see this beautiful little waterfall I glimpsed off to the side!

Fondest memory: I have a couple memories here, but thinking back, it was probably neatest when I was speaking with a local student, then about my age, maybe a year or two older. Anyway, just three of us left the hotel to look inside a Chinese bookstore (which is reminiscent of some of America's used bookstores). I obviously did not know Chinese characters, but I flipped through some books like I knew what I was doing! ;) A student came up and started speaking with me in English... I was startled by him just starting talking to me, but it really was an excellent experience! He was practicing his English with me, asking me if I knew Chinese, what I saw, how I paid for the trip (they don't hesitate to ask financial questions), etc. He then invited me to go to see his university later, although I unfortunately had something else planned at that time. I thought that was a pretty neat experience, something you have to get away from the tour to see!

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Guilin in general is a big...

by l_joo Written Aug 29, 2002

Favorite thing: Guilin in general is a big city with 'only' a beautiful title of Number 1 best scenery in the whole China. Why I said 'only' is because this city has been heavily polluted by dirty smokes, litters and unfinished construction sites. You don't see anything natural anymore in Gulin but only commercials.

Fondest memory: I remembered we wanted to get a bus ticket from Nanning to Yangshuo but the counter girl selling ticket told me there's no ticket to Yangshuo but only to Guilin. I wanted to ask her again how to get to Yangshuo but there were many peoples queuing and she has no time to entertain you but I don't care, asked her again, she reply with her voice so loud 'Get a ticket to Guilin then get another ticket down to Yangshuo...!!!!' Because of this reason I have to visit Guilin, the ticket is RMB80 each, 10 hours' drive with excellent brand new bus without passengers' spitting and smoking. Anyway we reach Guilin at 7pm very easily found a cheap hotel nearby the bus station at RMB60 for 3 persons with bathroom attached. Before we check into our room, few peoples started asking how about the one-day-trip of Guilin? They offer one-day-trip to Guilin cost RMB15 each without entrance tickets.
    Another one-day-trip is to visit Lijiang and Yangshuo cost RMB160 with lunch and boat included.

• solopes's Profile Photo

"Rockfeller Center"

by solopes Updated Nov 13, 2011

Guilin - China

Favorite thing: People skating in the yard, a large screen with a film exposed to the street, strong lights and music! Am I really in China... or am I lost in New York?

• John195123's Profile Photo

Cell Phone Service!

by John195123 Written Mar 1, 2008
    China Mobile Tower

Favorite thing: There is cell phone service (China Mobile and others, possibly) on the Li River, just in case anyone is curious.

Instant Answers: Guilin

Comments

Guilin Favorites

Reviews and photos of Guilin favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guilin sightseeing.