Guilin Local Customs

by SirRichard

Most Recent Local Customs in Guilin

Tons of bikes

Guilin Bicycles

In 1987 the bicycle was the main for of local transportation after the bus. There were special bicycle lanes on some of the bigger streets to keep the big trucks from running over the bicyclists. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit now though. In 1987 you wouldn't want to try going against the bicycle traffic as the crowds were going to work or again at quitting time!!

Comic Book rental

comic reading

Here in Guilin as well as most other cities that I visited in China there were comic book rentals set up along the street for the locals to have a seat and read the comics. They seemed very popular because every one of them that I saw had several people gathered around just reading. It seemed like a quiet time as no one seemed to be speaking to each other...just engrossed with the stories!! I'm not sure of the pricing as I never tried to rent one. I just thought is interesting.

Honey Mooners

by herzog63 Written Oct 5, 2003

Honey mooners in the caves

Here in the huge caves of Guilin there are certain ones that have colored lighting and they seem very popular with younger couples. There are photography stands set up at various spots and they did a brisk business in making photos of the honeymooners. My photo didn't come out very good as I didn't use a flash.

• Business Travel

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Farming close to the city

by herzog63 Written Oct 5, 2003

Guilin

For being such a big city I was surprised to see that rice and other crops were being grown right in the city. Not exactly city center but not to far away. Maybe by now all of the rice fields have high rise buildings on them.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Checking out the view from Duxiou Feng!!

by herzog63 Updated Oct 5, 2003

Guilin View

After a great steep hike up the 152 meter Duxiou Feng (which means Solitary Beauty) you will be rewarded with some wonderful views of the area. You can tell that the land is quite flat and except for the many limestone pinnacles that rise out of the land. You can reach Duxiou Feng from from a bus outside the train station or if you're somewhere in the middle of the city it's not to bad of a walk to get there. 45 minutes to an hour.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing

• In one of the shops we were...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

In one of the shops we were brought to in Guilin, they sold chops. Chops can be very tiny or very huge, basically stamps, made out of soapstone and carved with intricate designs on top. The stamp itself is actually carved into the soapstone, generally an ornate mingling of characters that mirrors your name and which is used to stamp any paintings you own. Anyway, I wanted the biggest chop I could find, which was quite beautiful on top, and they only came in pairs, which ended up being more than I was willing to spend. However, my teacher who was on the trip thought that we could split it between me and him, and that was much more economical. We each got what we wanted on the bottom (I got 'Shi Da Wei,' which most closely matches my name in Chinese). It was really neat because a couple hours later, when they were finished carving the name, he actually brought it up to our room in the hotel to make sure it was what we wanted! Anyway, I still have it sitting on my desk and it was definitely a worthwhile investment, for the sheer beauty of it, at any rate.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Here I saw some real Guilin...

by l_joo Written Aug 29, 2002

Here I saw some real Guilin Culture. The item at left is actually an 'Electricity-Stealing-Product' on sell by the roadside in Guilin city. I saw 2 peoples selling this product at RMB40 each, they have a meter to show you how it work by cutting down the spinning speed of the meter. So if you have this product plug into any corner of your house then you just have to pay about 5 Dollars per month. Wow! Enjoy Guilin's culture.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Cormorant Fishing.

by IreneMcKay Written Jul 11, 2013
    Fisherman with cormorants.

Guilin's fishermen are famous for using cormorants to do all their fishing for them. We did not see this happening, but we did get the standard tourist photo for a small fee.

• Photography

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Ethnic minorities

by SirRichard Written Jan 15, 2012

The Yao people

At the nort part of Guilin there are some mountains where many ethnic minorities live. If you take a tour to the rice terraces you will surely see some of them.

• Hiking and Walking

• geekgrrl's Profile Photo

Signs

by geekgrrl Written Jul 3, 2004

sign

Continuing my facsination with local signs everywhere, I saw this one while walking in Guilin. It is for a school and says in English "Handsome Quality Education"

Everyone on a bike

Mom and child

I didn't see any kids seats on the back of the bicycles..quite often I would see a parent just walking along pushing the bike while the small child rode along.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Hauling furniture on the bikes

by herzog63 Updated Oct 5, 2003

Delivery Men

For some reason I was really fascinated with the guys hauling furniture with the pedal operated carts. As I go through my photos I have one for almost every town. They sure work hard for their money.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Cormorane fishing

by tini58de Written Dec 26, 2002

Cormorane fishing boats

In this area, fishing is done with birds! I have never seen them "in action", but we did see the small boats with the cormoranes sitting on them! Fascinating sight!

Instant Answers: Guilin

Comments

Guilin Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Guilin local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guilin sightseeing.