Guilin Warnings and Dangers

Guilin - China
    by solopes
  • Powerpoints found in all 4 Hotels in China
    Powerpoints found in all 4 Hotels in...
    by lindyz
    Guilin - China
    by solopes

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Guilin

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Rude aggressive Taxi Driver

by easyoar Written Mar 9, 2005

Taxis in China are relatively cheap by Western standards, so when I arrived at the Airport, I queued for a taxi. A man came and allocated me a female taxi driver. She immediately demanded that the fare woud cost me 100 Yuan. I immediately disagreed and stated that we would use the Taxi meter.

She then got in a massive strop and demanded it was 100 yuan. I went back to the man who had words with her and said OK, meter.

The whole journey she was rude and offensive, and I was determined to pay exactly what the meter showed and no more. (I must say here I found most Chinese taxi drivers to be very good).

Anyhow, when we arrived at the hotel, I saw the meter said 91 yuan, So I handed her a 100 note as I did not havee enough change. She tried to keep it. I said no, I want change. She refused. I elant out of the cab window and called over a doorman and explained the situation to him.

He insisted that she drove off and got some change. She was furious. After a few minutes she came back (the doorman had taken her license plate number) and literally threw the change at me.I simply passed it on the the doorman, and she went nuts. Still with that level of service I am not going to tip!

If something like this happens to you, make sure you use the doormen to help you.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• The Chinese tour guide warned...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

The Chinese tour guide warned us when we first entered Guilin about vendors who would try to extort money from you or just outright take it by luring you into a 'shop', and I believe it was true because I've seen a similar thing on someone else's China page. But anyway, from my experience, we were approached by a couple men standing outside their store, asking if we'd be interested in looking at some artwork. Told them we weren't interested, but they persisted... no, no... just have a look, please? No, really, that's ok, thank you. Actually, before that he claimed he wanted to speak some English with us, so we entertained him with that. Anyway, it ended up that as we walked off they started speaking in Chinese, most likely about us because I heard the derogratory phrase 'da bizi,' which means 'big nose,' or what they call white foreigners. Oh well, I still had my money! :)

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Do not try these

by Sharrie Updated Jun 29, 2004

I'll never be able to balance myself on these & catch fish at the same time! So, my suggestion is don't try it unless you are a good swimmer! But, the water can be freezing during the winter!

Instant Answers: Guilin

Comments

Guilin Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Guilin warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guilin sightseeing.