Quanzhou Travel Guide

Quanzhou, Guangxi, China
  • The Tang Family, Quanzhou, Guangxi, China
    The Tang Family, Quanzhou, Guangxi,...
  • English Students, Quanzhou, Guangxi, China
    English Students, Quanzhou, Guangxi,...

Quanzhou Things to Do

Temple, Quanzhou, Guangxi, China 4 more images

by joecooper Written Jan 15, 2006

Just walk round the centre of the town. You'll find the odd temple amongst the mainly bland modern architecture. But the most interesting part is the people. The streets are lined with farmers selling all types of different produce. Noodle restaurants spill out onto the pavement. Shoppers browse the many shops, stalls and baskets. Look at the photos for some of the variety of people I spotted.

River Cruise, Quanzhou, Guangxi, China 4 more images

by joecooper Written Jan 15, 2006

One evening after teaching we took a boat cruise from the centre of Quanzhou. I don?t think you can normally take this trip as a tourist ? it was organised by Mr. Tang through a friend. However, if you head down to the bridge in the town centre and look for someone with a boat who looks like they might want to make a bit of money, you never know.

The cruise gave a good view of life on the banks of the river, albeit covered in rubbish. We saw lots of people washing, preparing food and fishing in the river. As we got out of town the river got much wider and we got a good view of 3 or 4 strange boats. As we went past it became evident that these were fitted with huge conveyor belts and other equipment. It was explained to me that they were panning for gold on a massive scale ? dredging the riverbed and sorting through the silt before it was ejected back over the side of the boat.

Further along was a very old ruined pagoda on the hillside. It was a shame to see it in a state of decay but it made it look very mysterious. We made our way further along until we got to a large hydroelectric plant that spanned the whole river and we had to turn back. On the way back we enjoyed seeing the same things again, this time with the sun setting in the background.

• Cruise

Stone Carvings, Quanzhou Park, Guangxi, China 4 more images

by joecooper Written Jan 15, 2006

One of the main attractions in Quanzhou is the park and it was one of the tourism boards main projects. When I was there a lot of work was being done to restore it to it's former glory as it had become quite dilapidated. As you enter there is an old pond dotted with wonderful 200-year-old stone carvings of fish, turtles, lions and mythical beasts. As you can see, when I was there the pond was drained but if you visit now it should be all sealed, full of water, lilies and Koi.

A little further up the path we came across the local magician and I marvelled at his simple yet incredible tricks. With any luck he will be there when you visit. As you go further into the park you'll enter a slightly wooded area. Nestle amongst the trees is a pagoda which you can climb and also a Buddhist Temple. From here the path starts to ascend the hill and it is a steep climb to the top. The views are well worth the effort though and there is also an inscription in the hillside as evidence of a visit from an Emperor some 1000 years ago or so. Unfortunately both the name of the hill and the Emperor escape me...

I got into the park for free with the Tangs but I believe there is an entry fee of something like Y2.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Quanzhou

Comments

Quanzhou Travel Guide
Map of Quanzhou