Yangshuo Local Customs

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Cormorants

by nepalgoods Updated Jun 30, 2003

Cormorant Fisher

In Southern China fishing with the help of cormorants is quite popular. In Yangshuo most of the fishermen now show their bird to the tourists, earning some money, when the tourists take their photos.

Since ancient times in China, cormorants have been tamed and trained to catch and bring back fish to their owners. Training starts when the young birds are fully grown and feathered. One is tied by a string to a stake at the water's edge. At a whistle signal it is pushed into the water and tossed a bit of fish. Then, after a different whistle, it is pulled back and rewarded again. As soon as the bird gets the idea, live fish is used. Then it is graduated to a boat or raft and a string tied around its neck so that it cannot swallow the fish it caught.

• Eco-Tourism

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo

Market Place

by aukjejetty Updated Jun 24, 2003

Yangshuo market

The market place in Yangshuo is a nice place to stroll. Buy some fruit and take it along on your bike-tour through the countryside.

I remember we took lots of Chinese pears with us, they are very juicy and in the hot summers they are refreshing, and because they are usualy quite large, they also fill you up. Don't forget to peel the fruit!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Funeral

by nepalgoods Updated Jun 23, 2003

Funeral

I had the oppurtunity so watch a funeral procession going on just beneath my window!

Chinese people consider watching a funeral as bad luck. I did not experience any bad luck after I had seen this funeral parade.

For more please see my travelogue!

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Got my shoe fixed

by tini58de Written Dec 22, 2002

getting my shoe fixed in Yangshuo

This was quite an experience!

I noticed, that one seam of my hiking boots was incomplete - so I had it fixed at the local taylor/shoemaker market!

They made me sit down, take off my shoe, gave me a sandal inbetween and fixed my shoes for a real good price!!!

• solopes's Profile Photo

Women

by solopes Updated Dec 31, 2013

Yangshuo - China

I couldn't have a clear idea of the women's role in chinese society, but we saw something significant.

In urban places they seem to share all the positions and tasks with men, in rural areas...

• Eco-Tourism

• John195123's Profile Photo

Yangshuo New Year's Up Close

by John195123 Written Mar 2, 2008
    Celebrating gets loud!

Only during the New Year's celebration- and it get's loud, with the dragon dancing amidst firecrackers and cheers.

• Festivals

• yipsufen's Profile Photo

Amei & not Xiaojie

by yipsufen Updated May 14, 2005

Amei

Do not call minority girls as Xiaojie (Miss). You might get a slap on your face ! It means bar girls or prostitutes to them. Address them Amei...

• Cruise

• vincentf's Profile Photo

Sugar Cane

by vincentf Written Apr 26, 2004

Sugar Cane

Locals around this region like to purchase sugar cane to chew on. The sweet juice is even sweeter than sugar! You can find the sugar cane sold in "lots" like this photo.

Instant Answers: Yangshuo

Comments

Yangshuo Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Yangshuo local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yangshuo sightseeing.