Yangshuo Warnings and Dangers

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo

Treacherous Moon Hill

by Guantanamera Updated May 26, 2004

Blood-spattered rocks

Climbing Moon Hill can be very dangerous so take special care, especially when bypassing the "no admittance" sign and making your way to the summit. During this final part of the ascent, there is no cement and the path becomes a very thin dirt trail that winds around the peak... When it rains, the trail becomes extremely muddy and slippery, increasing the level of danger... There are some steep cliffs as well, and the trail is also full of sharp jagged rocks so if you fall, you could wind up badly injured as happened to one unlucky hiker on the day we were there... All we saw was his blood spattered all over these rocks (click on photo to enlarge), and it looked like he had a pretty nasty fall...! This is one place you don't want to get injured, because you're a long way from medical help in this area...

• Hiking and Walking

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo

Sudden changes in the weather

by Guantanamera Written May 26, 2004

In this region of China, the weather can change very quickly and catch you by surprise... One day, when we were there, it was hot and sunny out... Suddenly, the wind started to pick up speed, and you could see storm clouds on the horizon... Within about 10 to 15 minutes, a heavy rain shower commenced, with high winds and a temperature drop of at least 5 - 7 degrees celcius! In this picture, people have pulled out their umbrellas due to the onset of rain showers...

• Beware of Green Wahaha

by XiaoRay Written Nov 3, 2004

As all backpackers know, bottled water is a must in all of China if you don't want to spend all of your vacation on a tiolet. One popular Chinese brand, Wahaha has a red and white label with a cheesy picture of a man on the front. As all backpackers also know the Chinese have mastered the art of copying name brands. My friend bought a bottle of Wahaha with a green label one day, he was so thirsty, and then noticed that the water tasted funny. Later that evening he was very ill, and the sickness continued into the morning. We gave him a rehydration packet and everything was OK. Always when buying water, make sure that the bottles have the safety seal, and that name brand labels look EXACTLY like they should.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Tourists!!

by nepalgoods Updated Jun 23, 2003

Around noon all the boats from Guilin arrive in Yangshuo. Then thousands of tourists from all over the world enter the streets of Yangshuo for souvenir-shopping. After a short time they go back to Guilin by bus. Then Yangshuo is again in the hands of the backpackers, who enjoy the banana-pancake and beer in the many restaurants.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Scams

by albaaust Written Jan 21, 2007

We arrived in the middle of Yangshuo town via a mini-van. We had not booked our hotel but knew where we wanted to go. Unfortunately, we did not have a map and had only a vague recollection of where the hotel might be.

A young man offered to "help". He told us that he worked at the hotel we wanted to go to and it was undergoing renovations and was closed. It was also a long way to go to. He offered to show us another hotel which was just as good but cheaper.

I went with him and had a look at it. Actually, it was OK but we did not fall for the scam. While I was away DH bought a map and found that the hotel we wanted was only about 100m away so we told the young man we would go check the other hotel first. He left us very soon after that. Duh!

• Luxury Travel

Road security

Yangshuo - China

Security in China seems not to match western standards everywhere: In a river, a bridge less than two meters wide has no lateral protection.

I saw no car crossing it, but motorbikes and people shared the narrow space, obliging to additional precautions.

• Architecture

• Sobe-A-Rush's Profile Photo

Every store will try and rip you off

by Sobe-A-Rush Written Apr 23, 2005

Since Yanghuo is such a big tourist spot, they will rip you off for anything and many people pay that high price for things. For something that costs 10RMB people would tell me 150. Almost every single store here you can bargain at. I have even seen chinese people pay quite a bit for things as there are many chinese tourists as well. So just be carefull with how much you pay.

• Singles

Conflits

Yangshuo - China

At first look China seems to be calm and peaceful, everywhere we see organization and progress, while the guides congratulate the government, that "started to fight hunger, and now is opening to free initiatives". Is it really true?

It's impossible to hide the tensions growing between the progressive sectors of the population, and the poor rural areas. The strong regime disguises it, but... how long?

In Yangshuo we faced the hidden China.

In a paradisiac place hundreds of policemen were... controlling the population. It was difficult to get an explanation, but we got it:

The inhabitants wanted to take profit of tourism, renting their rafts to tourists, selling food, drinks and crafts, as in any place where tourism is an opportunity. But not there.

It seems that the government has plans to explore the site, so, the locals must stay out of it. The faces revealed the rebellion, and the proportion of forces (3 or 4 policemen for each civilian) showed that they where not easing things.

We were not disturbed, but the pleasure of the best sights in China was "stained" by the tension around us.

• bhemak's Profile Photo

Hotel touts

by bhemak Written Apr 19, 2005

On entering the city a tout asked us if we wanted to see his hotel. He said they started at $US 30. I laughed, said no and kept walking. He followed. I asked politely for him to leave us alone. His English was good so I know he understood. After ten minutes, he was still following us. I intentionally bumped into him and said more directly leave us alone. Ten more minutes followed and he was still following us. I eventually swore at him in Chinese. He got very upset and told me I was ruining his country. He's trying to rip me off and then irritates me by following me for more than half an hour, but somehow I was ruining his country.

This eventually worked as he left us alone.

• sylina's Profile Photo

Your untimely kindness could be deathful

by sylina Written Sep 7, 2005

Children

On our cruise to Yangshuo from Guilin, there were many local kids lingered along the riverbank... I noticed most of them had a long stick with tuck net on the top. First, I thought they were playing around or trying to catch fish or something like that. But the lady worked on our ferry told us they were actually waiting for catching something we may throw to them.. hundreds ferry passed by everyday, many tourists used to throw snacks, toys even money into the water when their ferry passed by. Then the children walked into the water pick them up with the long stick. That's why they wait along the bank now.. yet a tragedy happened a few years ago, there was a little boy tried to pick up a 100 note near the ferry, he went too close to the ferry, then accidentally he got engulfed into the screw...

So please remember, DO NOT throw anything to the kids.

• Sailing and Boating

Mosquitoes

Yangshuo - China

We were alerted to the danger of mosquitoes in China, specially in the night trip to see cormorants fishing.

Well, we had some mosquitoes, but were not seriously bothered by them, maybe because, in this trip, following suggestions, we used too much repellent. But they were there, yes they were!

Clouds of them, by the lights!

• WorldMartha's Profile Photo

overnight bus to Shenzhen

by WorldMartha Written Sep 2, 2006

The whole town says the bus ride takes 9-10 hours... it doesn't! I took more than 12! The wouldn't let me and some other backpackers pput our stuff under the bus because there was no more room. Our bags were sitting next to other random people on the bus all night long. Might have been my own fault but I ended up losing my passport. Don't lose your passport in China! It's a particularly bad place to lose it!

• Pay to walk

by XiaoRay Written Nov 3, 2004

This is just a general tip-When you do go on some of these bicycle tours or venture off on your own, beware of being charged to stand on someone's property or being charged for unwanted or unsolicited company. When we went to the Fuli village we were met by a "student" on the road who wanted to hang out with us to learn better English. By this time we new the tricks so we told him up front that there would be no money exchange for this "friendship" When it was time to leave he asked for money for his "tourguide" services and got very angry when we were not willing to cave. We had set the standards up front. However, it is still very scary when you are miles away from Yangshuo with only a bike as your getaway vehicle!

• explorer001's Profile Photo

Enthusiastic "Tour/Hotel Operators" aka touts

by explorer001 Written Sep 27, 2006

These guys are everywhere in Yangshuo town, from the moment you alight from the bus till the moment you leave Yangshuo.
    Most of them are trying to make a living by introducing hotels/services and get a small commission.
    What I did was - Just walk past them without saying a word (I know this is rude - but it works 95% of the time). Imagine being swarmed by these guys and saying NO all the time - very tiring.

I did however had a light moment with one of the them during my stroll... The lady offerred some tours which I had done but she wouldn't believe me. So instead of trying to convince her, I showed her a small brochure about Malaysia, insisting that she sign up a package with me before I will agree to sign up with hers. :-) (btw I'm not a tour operator - just pick up a brochure from the airport)
    Soon she realized that she's not going to sell me anything - therefore she left.

• bhemak's Profile Photo

Tour guides

by bhemak Written Apr 19, 2005

This tour guide is an idiot

Some tour guide in Yanshuo are good, and some aren't. My tour guide over charged us (100Y each, 50Y or less is typical) and new nothing of the area. He just took us from place to place and got kickbacks from inflated prices.

Try to find a guide someone recommends.

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Yangshuo

Comments

Yangshuo Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Yangshuo warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yangshuo sightseeing.