Guiyang Travel Guide

Guiyang Things to Do

• by mke1963 Written Oct 29, 2005

Opposite the Long-Distance Bus Station on Yanan Xilu is a wide lane disappearing at an angle away from the roundabout (it's not one of the main roads from the roundabout). This is one of Guiyang's main extile markets. At the weekend (possibly also during the week?) this is filled with vendors selling textiles, some of which are hand-made and home-made abrics from Guizhou's many ethnic minorities. The shops on either side are the usual collection of clothing and shoeshops with huge loudspeakers blaring out music and the latest offers on socks and pants. It is all a lot of fun and a "real China" spectacle.

At the bottom (southern) end, the lane narrows and is extremely crowded - take care with wallets and cameras in this area. I was warned this by several people there. Also, in the rush, be careful where you place your feet as there are many steel stubs sticking out, half-broken steps and lumps of concrete reay to fell you.

Guiyang Hotels

Guiyang Restaurants

by John195123 Written Feb 17, 2008

Street food, located on Zunyi Road, just outside the train station. It seems these places stay open for a good portion of a Saturday night.

I can't say I highly recommend the food.

One of the specialties, fried potatoes, were good but undercooked.
    Another noodle dish was just MSG and oil, with not much flavor.
    And the first place we went, we had dumplings, which were pretty good, but nothing too special. Sometimes, such as in Hohhot, the street food has been great, but here I didn't find anything special, despite trying three different places.

The bottled tea tasted way off as well. So maybe avoid the food here, unless you're in the need for a quick meal.

by John195123 Written Feb 17, 2008

I can't say I highly recommend the food.

One of the specialties, fried potatoes, were good but undercooked.
    Another noodle dish was just MSG and oil, with not much flavor.

• Guiyang Hotels

73 Hotels in Guiyang

6 Reviews and Opinions

Guiyang Transportation

• by mke1963 Written Oct 29, 2005

Guiyang Airport is to the west of Guiyang city, on the toll road to Kaili (and eventually to Hunan).
    Arrival and departure are straightforward and easy: it is a small airport with few facilities, but the upside is that it has yet to develop the "talk customer service - rip-off passenger" mentality of most other Chinese airports.

Note that if you are heading east from Guiyang (to Kaili, for example),you should be able to avid going into Guiyang. I undestand that there are coaches eastbound from the airport but I do not know where they stop. (I had a car)

• by mke1963 Written Oct 15, 2005

Bloody hopeless. The two taxi drivers I have come across today (at the airport and downtown) had no idea where the Howard Johnson Hotel was (I pronounced the Chinese correctly and neither could use a map. Neither knew the street either. Surprising given that one taxi was actually on it, about 1km away from the hotel)

These guys make Beijing taxi drivers look bright. (Sorry...I am severly irritated with Beijing taxi-drivers these days because they insist in trying to rip me off)

Tips:
    1) take a map with you, but forget about using it
    2) take the phone number of your destination. Get in the cab. Phone them and give the phone to the taxi driver. Leave the phone with the driver for the journey because he will need to make several calls.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Guiyang? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Guiyang Warnings and Dangers

by John195123 Written Mar 9, 2008

I believe Guiyang is known by Chinese to be one of the more dangerous cities for theft. It definitely had a seedy feel around the train station area (and surrounding roads) at midnight. Train stations are hives for pickpockets, of course, but we had no problems there. One of the concerns a foreigner has is proximity of other people. In the west we're often used to keeping more space between us, where here that rule doesn't exist. That may add to the concern about pickpocketing, as we don't know who is just standing close and who is checking us out or on the prowl. Anyway, we had no problems, but does supposedly have that reputation in China, so keep that in mind.

Guiyang Favorites

• by chihiro75 Written May 25, 2006

Favorite thing: We had the hotel call a doctor for my daughter who had quite a temperature. It was a young woman who came and looked at my daughter -- and that was all she did. She didn't speak English so the receptionist came with her to sort of translate. It was rather weird because she didn't take her temperature, touch or ausculate or anything, but she wasn't a Chinese medicine doctor either. Recommended aspirin for the temperature and that was it.
    We went to the local pharmacy to buy aspirin, but couldn't get the woman to understand so gave up. The drugstores in big major cities are easy, but in a place like Guiyang, it's best to have your own stuff with you.

Instant Answers: Guiyang

Comments

Guiyang Travel Guide
Map of Guiyang