Kaifeng Travel Guide

Iron Pagoda Park
    Memorial Temple to Lord Bao
    Kaifeng Prefecture

Kaifeng Highlights

• Pro
    bhemak profile photo

bhemak says…

not over developed, good monuments,suprising lakes

• Con
    bhemak profile photo

bhemak says…

perhaps dirtier than a usual Chinese city

• In a nutshell

Neither ancient nor modern

Kaifeng Things to Do

by ellyse Written Mar 9, 2006

The night market! I ate there for almost every meal. I loved the sugarcane juice. Fresh sugarcane juice (which I love in Singapore) is so hard to find in China! I liked that particular old uncle who sold it so much, I bought at least 1 cup everytime I went to the market. Bet you anything he was disappointed when I finally left! I wanted to try "tong3 zi ji1" (some kind of chicken) but I couldn't, since I was alone and even though I can be a big eater, I certainly can't finish one whole chicken at once. -gag at the thought- There's a stall selling the same dumplings as the restaurant on Sihou Jie but 12 dumplings for 6 RMB instead of 10 dumplings for the same price in the restaurant. I couldn't really tell any big difference in taste or otherwise. There're also quite a few stalls of "chao3 liang2 fen3" (stir-fried white rice vermicelli), "rou4 he2" (pocket of meat) and various kebabs of lamb, lamb's heart, lamb's kidney (yummy, really) and various kinds of seafood. Oh, and remember to try the "xing4 ren2 tang1" (almond "soup") that's actually strong almond milk diluted with water and with some nuts/raisins on top of it.

Acrobatics

by bhemak Written Sep 10, 2004

This is something like a Chinese Renaissance festival. There are some replica buildings and more interestingly shows at different times during the day. Some were traditional events like a prospective bride on a balcony dropping flowers to a groom below. Others were arcrobatics, magic, puppets, and traditional music. There were also overpriced souvenirs and food. Both seemed to be of decent quality.

• Theme Park Trips
    • Theater Travel

Inside the Pagoda

by bhemak Written Sep 4, 2004

Or Tie Ta. This one of the top sites to the Chinese and I can see why. Sure it is an old and unique Pagoda in a park, but it is also a bizarre experience to walk up. The hike up is not for clostrophobic types.

The 'Iron' name comes fom the glazed tiles which looks like rusting iron. From a distance I though 'so what.' Up close I saw each tile had a picture on it. I'm amazed by things that look good up close and from a distance.

• Architecture

Kaifeng Hotels

Kaifeng Restaurants

by ellyse Written Mar 9, 2006

I don't think it really has a sign at all. I wasn't actually planning on eating but the smell wafting out was too good to resist! That was my first and also my last meal in Kaifeng (no, I meant that I visited it more than 1 time!) Locally this is known as "shang4 dang4", the "motto" of this kind of shop is "quan4 jun1 shang4 dang4, shang4 dang4 yi1 hui2", which means "persuading you to fall for the trick, fall for it just once". It's a bit funny but once you "fall for the trick" at the right stall, you'll fall in love with it. :)

Favorite Dish: It's claypot with vermicelli, some beef, mushrooms and etc inside, you can ask for it to be spicy or non-spicy, as you like. It's only 3 RMB per pot, 1 RMB for a bowl of rice, 1 RMB for Coke/Sprite/Fanta/yummy yogurt drink, a filling meal set me back only 5 RMB!

by ellyse Written Mar 9, 2006

Favorite Dish: The "xing4 ren2 tang1" (almond "soup") is unique, I haven't seen it anywhere else in my life.

• Kaifeng Hotels

20 Hotels in Kaifeng

2 Reviews and Opinions

Kaifeng Transportation

by bhemak Updated Aug 31, 2004

Bus line 3 start or ends very near the Iron Pagoda Park (which isn't near much else in the city). The street in front of the park runs south to the main part of the city and the bus can be caught along this length. Cheeper than a taxi (1 vs. 7 RMB) and less stress than walking 2 or 3 km.

Kaifeng Favorites

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Kaifeng (Henan province) Song Dynasty Street

by Confucius Written Apr 19, 2003

Favorite thing: This is becoming a popular trend in China's ancient capitals and other cities of historical interest; the street with the nostalgic theme where traditional architecture, handicrafts, snacks and gift shops attract tourists who seek to relive the particular era being touted.
    Kaifeng was a capital during the Song dynasty thus they have a Song Dynasty Street.

Fondest memory: Other cities in China with similar themed streets include Hangzhou, Tunxi (near Huangshan), Shenyang, Tianjin and Zhongshan.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Kaifeng

Comments

Kaifeng Travel Guide
Map of Kaifeng