Luoyang Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Luoyang

• ChuckG's Profile Photo

Fast changing city

by ChuckG Written Sep 25, 2005

Favorite thing: Everywhere you go in Luoyang (and in China), there is bustling constructions.

One day your favorite restaurant might be rubble making place for a new condo tower. Watch for the construction trucks when you walk and notice how each one try to outdo the others in making their building sound like the Taj Mahal of China.

by herzog63 Updated Oct 3, 2003

Longmen Caves

Favorite thing: The Longmen Caves are quite interesting. Apparantly there were 100,000 images and statues of Buddha here at one time but there aren't that many now. Alot of the statues had their heads lopped off too! But it is still worth a visit. There are quite a few different caves in and around Luoyang. Some are just boring small empty holes in the cliff and others have intricately carved statues.

• Adventure Travel

by herzog63 Updated Oct 3, 2003

Longmen Caves

Favorite thing: The Longmen Caves are pretty impressive. They are about 16 KM South of Louyang. I met a local guy that wanted walked around with me so that he could practice his English. Hmmmmm I've ran into these scams before so I asked him 2 times if he was going to ask me for a tip when he was done practicing his English...He said no!! So I got a free guide for the day. Not that I really wanted one. I love to just wander usually although sometimes it's fun to have a local person to point out some things. The guy also bought my ticket for me at the local price so I saved half the cost of getting in! I paid 5 Yuan (US$1) The caves sort of remind me of the Ellora Caves in India. I thought the setting was beautiful as the rock wall faces a river.

Fondest memory: It snowed and rained all day and my feet got wet then I got sick! Which took me a few days to shake! My visit to Luoyang actually killed my trip to Xian as I was so sick when I arrived in Xian that I never went to see the Terracotta Warriors!!

• Adventure Travel

Wandering Luoyang

by herzog63 Written Oct 3, 2003

Longmen Caves

Favorite thing: Even though the weather wasn't the best for wandering the caves were worth the wet feet and the sore throat! The temperature hovered just over freezing as it either rained or snowed all day. I wasn't really prepared for these temperatures as I was just coming out of the South of China where it was quite comfortable wearing my lightweight jacket. I should have bought a pair of rubber boots to walk in!! haha

• Trains

Instant Answers: Luoyang

Comments

Luoyang Favorites

Reviews and photos of Luoyang favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luoyang sightseeing.