Yichang Local Customs

Cool Kids
    by herzog63

Most Recent Local Customs in Yichang

• urban4est's Profile Photo

Manual labor is the way to do things in China

by urban4est Written Nov 30, 2004
    Chinese Porters

The porters loading the ships along the river are amazing. Many are older men, since the younger men are better educated and getting company jobs. They carry loads well over there weight up and down long staircases made of cut stone.

On the way to our ship a man with a stick and ropes hanging from both ends asked me if he could carry my bags for 8 yuan (US$1.00). I resisted because I had already carried them two blocks and over curbs. Ping persuaded me to let him carry them and I ended up very glad of it. He carried the 55kg bags down steep steps, across three gang planks and up four flights to our cabin. I gave him 10 yuan and he was very pleased.

Most of the goods coming on or going off the ship at our stops was carried by porters. Some places had large lifts.

Saying goodbye...

by herzog63 Written Sep 20, 2003

Cool Kids

When it came time to say goodbye we each took a photo as we where going to get our train tickets. I'm sure the parents of the children were wondering where their kids were as they followed us around for a few hours. So this is our departing shot.........Great memories for me!!

• Trains

Hand made charcoal

by herzog63 Updated Sep 20, 2003

guy making charcoal

We ran across this guy making charcoal. He was happy to have his picture taken and we thanked him. At first he wanted to go wash his hands I said it's ok just like that! I didn't want to slow him up. The kids made for great tour guides.

• Adventure Travel

Small boats

by herzog63 Updated Sep 20, 2003

small boat

You can see alot of small boats going up and the down the river. And of course bigger ones too. But I loved watching these guys gliding down the river being moved by strong current of the river! They had to be quite skillful to manuever their way through some of the narrow areas as the the river would be moving quite swift!

• School Holidays

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Working their way down the Yangtze!

by herzog63 Updated Jun 19, 2003

Working the Boat

These guys have to really work hard to get their boat back upriver!! It must be just crazy hard during the rainy season!!

Instant Answers: Yichang

Comments

Yichang Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Yichang local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yichang sightseeing.