Places to eat in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region

Most Viewed Restaurants in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region

alternative food available

by liemel225 Written May 11, 2007

yang rou! barbeque lamb meat saved all of our grumbling stomachs!

it was sold by this angel on the side of the bon-fire and was deliciously made...
    it has a distinct odor... but who cares when your... starving?!

• liemel225's Profile Photo

an unnamed restaurant: vegetables anyone?

by liemel225 Updated May 11, 2007

starving and ready to devour anything. that's what we felt waiting for our dinner. but when the food arrived, it was well..... not pleasing to the eyes... or should i say the mind...

i dont mind steamed veggies... and all very big veggies... but thinking that this place doesn't have toilets totally grossed us out... hahhaha!

but the goodnews to the travellers is they serve alcohol... the waiters and waitresses in their local clothing goes from one table to another to serve shots... and yes they sing for you too.

Asam-asam

by JuraidahJ Written Jul 14, 2005

The Chinese like to snacks with something sweet and something sour... so does the Mongolians.

We were busy buying the snakcs which is located in one of the shopping ct where they sell all knids of snacks.

Make sure they weight correctly and that the food is sealed properly when you buy them.

Local Residence: Goat's Milk & Festive Goodies

by JuraidahJ Updated Jul 14, 2005

When I was there, it was during Chinese New Year and also the Eid of Adha (Hari Raya Haji).

We were invited to a local residence and try their festive goodies and to do our Eid Adha visiting. Great isn't it? Wait till you hear what I love best of the goodies.

The bowl I'm holding is actually Goat's Milk. Its a tradition to drink them when you visit a local home. Goat's milk.. yukk!!!! Well, I was wrong, the trick was to put in a small slice of goat's cheese and wow.. what a superb drink you have!! I had two bowls of the drink and I made mu host proud.. and so am I and my nephew!

Favorite Dish: Did u see the plate just after a bowl of the Goat's milk in the foreground? That is my favorite dish. It is a kind of wheat grain which is very crunchy and nice. I ate almost a plate of it. When I'm done I went to see the goats. Guess what? The host 'syoungest son was feeding the goat the same food I that I like most!!!

According to the locals, the goat eats what they eat!! Well dear goats.. we have love the same food... : ( I even packed some back to the hotel.. : ) hey.. its edible waht else can I say and it ws nice!

Shabu Shabu

by JuraidahJ Updated Jul 14, 2005

This dish is similar to Shabu Shabu in Beijing or Steamboat in Singapore. However, in Inner Mogolia, they have more mutton and tofu than beef or vegetables. In summer chicken are served more.

Why? Mutton is full of fats... this will keep the body warm in the winter. This country is full of lush greenland, vegetables are not widely grown in the backyard!

This picture is taken at one of the back streets shop where they supply the thin rolled mutton meat for the restaurants / street shops.

First they slice the meat thin and then they roll it in a machine. They use the machine (next to the lady) to roll the meat. Cool for a country who is in the process into the new technology. In the foreground, you can see the meat that have been roll in a tray.

My nephew had a great time with the meat too.

Rickshaw Stalls: Street Restaurant

by JuraidahJ Written Jul 14, 2005

Most Mongolians eat at home. Well.. maybe they will eat out too but mostly it is like a coffee shop or steet shops or the very commom ones - street stalls or rickshaw stalls.

You can find them at every corner of the streets in town. Some are clean and if yoour stomach can't hold it, buy those in the building.

Favorite Dish: This variety of breads like snacks are delicious. I enjoyed them. Most of them are sweet just to keep your body warm in the winter.. sugar....

• liemel225's Profile Photo

you'll get by with a little help from a friend

by liemel225 Written May 11, 2007

the vendor who sold sweet potato!
    ahh... such a good friend appears at the time you need it most!
    hahaha!
    sweet potatos = always reliable source of strength!
    hehehe!

8 Reviews - 6 Photos
Tongliao Hotels
1 Review - 4 Photos

Instant Answers: Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region

Comments

Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region sightseeing.
Map of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region