Tongli Warnings and Dangers

'Oh dear God! What is it?'
    by sugarpuff
    'Ripped off by the river!'
    by sugarpuff

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Tongli

• yipsufen's Profile Photo

Public Toilets in Tongli

by yipsufen Written Jul 17, 2004

Public toilets at the main entrance here may be a bit daunting for some. They are not that filthy but you will want to finish off your task and get out from it as soon as possible.

The toilet cubicle has low partition. You won't see your "neighbour" if you squat down but you can stare at each other closely when you are tucking in your dress.

There is no flushing system. It's simply a narrow ditch with partition as toilet cubicle.

• Women's Travel

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Cafe menu in English

by sugarpuff Written May 25, 2004

'Ripped off by the river!'

We passed several cafe type places along one of the rivers, but the one which stuck out the most for me was the one which had a little blackboard reading "Come try our menu" in English, French and an attempt in Spanish.

We carried on, but then decided to go back and see what they had! My mum was somewhat wary anyway because she'd seen people cleaning cutlery and plates in the river (enough to put you off eating there before you've even begun!), but we gave it a go! The waitress gave us a notebook with about six out of the possible forty dishes she had translated into English. When I say 'translated', I mean each dish had one name to it. For e.g. 'egg', 'fish', 'mushroom', so it wasn't the best of menus!

Fortunately I can read Chinese so asked for the Chinese menu. And of course, the descriptions of the dishes were wonderful flowery names full of Chinese history and tradition...by this I mean something like, 'delicate smell over yonder hill' and what you get is 'chou dofu' which means 'stinky tofu'! The prices in the english menu were also higher!

So just keep your wits about you!

• Study Abroad

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

I shouldn't drink this if I were you!

by sugarpuff Updated May 24, 2004

'Oh dear God! What is it?'

Not so much of a danger, but more of a warning! First of all what the hell IS it, and secondly, why on EARTH would anyone want to put that inside themsleves?!

I still have a lot I need to understand about the way this nation eats and drinks!

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Tongli

Comments

Tongli Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tongli warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tongli sightseeing.