Plus size girls take all the clothes you will need
Luggage and bags: Tie a bright ribbon on all your bag handles, so you can spot them at the airport
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It gets really cold in Dalian, but starts warming up in late April. Expect Boston or New York City weather.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Take all toiletries and prescriptions. We found some toiletries in Walmart (located in front of the football stadium) and in Carrefour's (ask your concierge to tell the taxi driver to take you there). The only Tampons we found were in the glass mall, ground level, directly east of the Swissotel. Carry toilet paper with you! there is none in the bathrooms! see photo
Photo Equipment: We took a 35mm and digital camera and laptop computer. I downloaded my pictures to the computer, and we got our film developed at the photo shop in front of wal-mart entrance(below ground level) so as to not have the film ruined by x-ray machines.
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: It was too cold for us to go to the beach, we were there between March and the middle of May.
Miscellaneous: My plus size wife could not find any clothes or shoes to fit her. lucky me! I took a coat with removeable sleeves, so that I could wear just a vest on warmer days.
- Business Travel
- Family Travel
- Women's Travel
Coming for a while?
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: - If you are bigger women (over a 34B), bring bras and underwear, they are padded and tiny here.
- You can get some great custom clothes made here for cheap
- Summers are hot and humid - cool clothes, sandals
- Winter are a little cold (0C/32F) with a bitter wind so you will need a good coat, gloves, scarf, boots not neccessary as there is little snow
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: dental floss
OB tampons are available (at Mycal but no other brands ie Tampax)
- hand sanitizers, the gel kind
Photo Equipment: camera batteries, regular batteries are cheap
Miscellaneous: - spices/herbs, they have fine black pepper, salt, curry, cumin but few others
- pasta/rice mixes ie Knorr Swiss for the times you get tired of Chinese
- hot chocolate
- coffee is expensive but available
- Lipton black tea is the only brand avaiable, of course they have lots of green tea but no herbal teas like peppermint, chamoile, etc
- baking soda and powder is available but hard to find
- any other special condiments you like, they do have ketcup, mustard, (tabasco, worchestershire, BBQ sauce - these must be bought at the import stores)
- Shout for stains, Static Guard, they do have Tide
- I brought dish soap as theirs is not great
For the Girls
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Although it is possible to find these items it is tough and usually more expensive. Bring tampons and deoderant! You can find tampons in Dalian at places like Watson's in Parkland Mall or Mycal, both right by Swisshotel. Deoderant is more of a challenge though. My advice, bring them with you.
Absolute China Essentials
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you're kinda big, i.e. any real American, including myself, bring all your clothes. I could never find anything to wear.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: TAMPONS (I cannot stress this enough)
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Bathing suit (watch out for the bikini...it's not that common)
Books (this is a biggie, too. It's difficult to find good English books, unless you're in Beijing)
Mac n Cheese
Reece's peanut butter cups
- Study Abroad