Places to eat in Xi'an

by Andrew_Liu

Most Viewed Restaurants in Xi'an

• Small World Cafe: at your risk

by weregypsies Written Aug 10, 2012

After eating Chinese street food for seven days we opted for this western place. It had a great write-up online but we were very disappointed. My well-done burger was quite red (though to be fair I didn't pay for it~though no lunch either... I'd have rather paid and eaten). My daughter had a sandwich and mashed potatoes and I believe that the potatoes were made previously, refridgerated and then heated before sent to our table. The ketchup was given to me in packets and when I asked for mustard I was given a dab as large as a 1RMB coin.

On the plus side, the bread for my daughter's ham and cheese sandwich appeared to be baked on-site. My daughter also said the cheese was very good.

• Green_Frog's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Pizza Hut - Chinese style!!

by Green_Frog Written Dec 26, 2010

Don't laugh - Pizza Hut is China is absolutely fabulous. A friend of my daughter's who'd visited China earlier in the year had said to her 'whilst in China... you must eat at Pizza Hut' she wasn't wrong. The food is amazing - beautiful pizzas, amazing pastas - fresh salmon and asparagus in a creamy white wine sauce - yeah mouth watering - with the best cocktails ever made with real fruit pulp and delicious desserts too ..... a main course, a dessert for 3 with alcoholic drinks = 192 yuans about $10 a head!!

Favorite Dish: Definitely the fresh salmon and asparagus pasta in a creamy white wine sauce - yummmmmmy!!!

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Hotel room breakfasts: Save money - eat breakfast in your room

by lindyz Written Oct 3, 2009

We ate breakfast in our hotel room every morning while in Xian. Mainly to save money, but also because we took one look at the Hotel Restaurant, and were pretty sure we did NOT want any food coming out of there!

We had our Lipton tea which we sourced in Beijing, our stolen sugar sachets from Starbucks, long-life milk bought on the streets, plus we always had fresh fruit and either Portuguese Tarts or chinese muffins. Fruit was plentiful all through china, and I had the nicest apple I think Ive ever tasted bought off a street vendor in East Street Xian. We also bought bananas, pomegranates, pomelas and pears.

Starbucks: Great Coffee

by lindyz Written Oct 3, 2009

Some days we just craved a nice cup of coffee. We did go to King Coffee a few times, but I just love Starbucks, and prices were reasonable. They also sell cakes and light meals. A Capuccino will set you back about 28rmb = about $5AUD. We only came across one Starbucks in Xian, and Im pretty sure it was on floor level of the Mincheng Department Store.

Kai Yuan Food Hall: Cheap and yummy

by lindyz Written Oct 3, 2009

On the highest floor of the Kai Yuan Mall I think is their Food Hall with an abundance of choices in cheap local food, plus a few western options like Pizza. A Huge plate of food will have average price of about 6rmb - this is soooooo cheap!

King Coffee: Chinese version of Starbucks

by lindyz Written Oct 2, 2009

We came across King Coffee on our way back from the City Wall, it was near the foyer of Fortune Suites. I had been told to try their coffee, that it was similar to Starbucks, but cheaper. And that was indeed correct!

A cappuccino at King Coffee was about 20rmb and same drink at Starbucks was about 28rmb. Definitely try King Coffee - its worth it! They also sell cakes, cookies, iced teas, pies and sorbets.

Best Noodle Bar: Super cheap

by lindyz Updated Oct 2, 2009

We discovered this small restauarant just outside our (crappy) Hotel on our last night in Xian. The prices were unbelievably cheap - I had a HUGE plate of vegies for 7rmb and a bottle of Fanta for only 1rmb - so total meal cost was 8rmb which is about $1.50AUD!!!! As I said ... unbelievable!!! When we asked the cook "boo yow la" he commented on our good Chinese speaking - it was quite funny at the time! I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant, but I dont have a clue what its address it, except that its very close to the entrance of the Canaan Hotel.

Kingtown No.1 Chinese Food: Great local Food

by lindyz Written Oct 2, 2009

On our way back from the Teracotta Army, George took us here for lunch. He described it as local Chinese Food. We ordered 4 different dishes and shared between Tracy and I, George and our driver, dont even know his name as he spoke no english.

The food was delicious and very cheap, and I would highly recommend this Restaurant. The total bill for 4 people including drinks was 128rmb, so that is only about $5AUD per person. Tracy and I paid 100rmb towards the bill and George paid the rest.

There appear to be about 9 different Kingtown No. 1 Restaurants in Xian, according to their business card (which is written in Chinese!) Also note the sign "Have the hand place" apparently chinese translation is "This is the way to the toilet!!!" Yeh, that really makes a lot of sense - NOT! Now that is why Alvin kept asking us if we needed to wash our hands.

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

Da Fa Chang Restarunt in Xian: DUMPLING FEAST

by sfphototraveller Updated May 7, 2009

100 RMB PER PERSON UPSTAIRS 2nd floor of Restaurant.
    The Dumpling came in different shapes and sizes and flavors.
    I have eaten lots of Dim Sum being born and raised in San Francisco and eating at many asians restaurants.

I would rate the Restaurant average. I was full. We ate everything they served us.

• jasmine_ding's Profile Photo

Yong Ming Qishan Mian: Noodle and bread with special taste-highly praised

by jasmine_ding Updated Oct 17, 2008

It's not a big restaurant, but it offers some special local food. Some have a long history and interesting stories. For example, Qishan/ Saozi noodle was used to encourage brave soldiers by a king of 2500 years ago. But now they are favourite food to local people and many travellers. Sometimes you have to wait for a table, but try them. At least you will be satisfied with one of them. No more than 15 RMB.

Qishan/Saozi noodle is sour and spicy. Only skilled chef can make it. The noodle is transparent.

Qishan/Saozi Roujiamo, unlike the Roujiamo, it's tasted less oily, but sour.

Cold noodle (Gan mian pi ) and Vinegar noodle (Cu Fen) is cold, refreshing and smooth, with the taste of sour and spicy. The material is flour, though you couldn't gress from their appearance, but the process is different.

Favorite Dish: Qishan/Saozi noodle
    Qishan/Saozi roujiamo
    select one from Cold noodle (Gan mian pi ) and Vinegar noodle (Cu Fen)
    Glutinous rice dumpling with honey
    No one understands English, but you can show waitresses pics, then order.

• 1 more image

COLABO Italian restaurant: Wonderful Italian restaurant

by superjing Written Oct 14, 2008

This modern but intimate Italian restaurant is based in Shanghai.The cooks are trained to create authentic Italian dishes and the end result is a uniquely special venue that is still one of the best kept secrets in Xi'an.

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti with Crab(Tomato Cream Sauce)
    Panna Cotta
    Meat Lasagna COLABO Style

• Wine Tasting
    • Work Abroad

• John195123's Profile Photo

Shuyuan Youth Hostel: Decent, Easy

by John195123 Written Mar 23, 2008

They have an English menu with western and Chinese food. The Chinese food we had wasn't the best we've eaten. One thing they did have was a dumpling-making night, where guests could help make dumplings and after the chefs cook them up, eat them for free. You don't learn too much about the dumplings- more of how to put them together than ingredients, though I suppose you could ask and watch that part as well.

Two images.
    (VT Photo Lesson Readers, note the difference in white balance between the two images. If you never heard about the lessons, they're up on my homepage!)

• John195123's Profile Photo

Park Qin: First!

by John195123 Updated Mar 23, 2008

Supposedly this is one of the first places named after Emperor Qin... or something like that. It's a dark, probably occasionally smoky basement bar that sees a lot of foreigners, has live music, and discounts on drinks for those staying at the Shuyuan Youth Hostel, which is just above the bar... in fact you can access the bar via a steep, narrow staircase in the courtyard of the Shuyuan.

The drinks are relatively expensive, as most bars with imported liquors are here, but it's a nice place to hang out if that's your thing. They also have live music and a pool table.

Three images.

• Beer Tasting

• jasmine_ding's Profile Photo

Real Love Chinese Restaurant: Best Chinese reataurant in Xi'an

by jasmine_ding Updated Jan 2, 2008

There are two Real Love Chinese Restaurant in Xi'an. One is in the Hi-tech zone, the other one is close to the Small Wild Goose Pagoda (Xi'an Museum is opposite to it).

It is the best Chinese restaurant in Xi'an. It's the No.1 choice for people who are looking for a place with dainty food and elegant tone. Unlike other Chinese restaurants, this restaurant is quiet, so clients can enjoy food without disturbance of noise and "passer-by", because the clients here have good tastes and good manners.

The dishes are delicate, no matter they are made of vegetables or seafood.

Favorite Dish: I like these dishes:
    Pan-fried beaf fillet
    Papaya allo salad
    Stone-pot ...
    Tomato tofu soup
    Eggplants with garlic sauce
    ...
    Actually you can order dishes after you check their menu.

• susanpingu's Profile Photo

Tien Sia Ti Yi Wan (in Chinese): Must try Xi'an's speciality 'yangrou paomo'

by susanpingu Updated Dec 12, 2007

The moment you enter (from the side), you will see photographs of famous people who have patronized this establishment. Walk up to the second floor and you will find cafeteria style seating. It's best to go after 12 noon if you want more variety. We were there in the morning and they only had 'yangrou paomo' (20 yuan each bowl) and nothing else.

This Xi'an speciality consists of two hard round white bread which you have to break into pieces (into the bowl provided) before the waiter will ladle hot lamb soup over it. It's served with cilantro and pickled garlic. Beef soup is also available if you don't like lamb.

This dish reminds me of some ingenious nomads needing to have a ready lasting staple food to serve with the game they hunt and cook in a big pot over open fire. Cool!

The restaurant was recommended to us by the bus driver and his colleague. There are many restaurants inside the city walls so you'll never want for variety.

Xi'an Hotels

Latest: Oct 29, 2013
Shanxi Wenyuan Hotel
Latest: May 28, 2013

Instant Answers: Xi'an

Comments

Xi'an Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Xi'an locals.
Map of Xi'an