Tourist Attractions in Xi'an

The warriors. So amazing.
    by PanAsianPirate
  • Our pretty Blonde - the locals loved her !!
    Our pretty Blonde - the locals loved her...
    by Green_Frog
    by solopes

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Xi'an

• solopes's Profile Photo

Central Passages

by solopes Updated Jan 18, 2014

Walking in central Xi’an looks simple, and it is, but not as much as it seems. The central tower, well illuminated at night looks the same from all the four angles, and walking around is a large and tricky way, with underground passages and wide steps.

When we thought that he had done half turn and espected to be walking down to the hotel, we really had turned only 90º and we were displacing from the hotel. Nothing that a taxi couldn’t resolve, but, remember: your hotel’s name always written in a paper.

• Architecture

• solopes's Profile Photo

Glass pavements in Hanyangling Museum

by solopes Updated Jan 18, 2014

The excavation area is seen from above, walking on a glass pavement.

To avoid scratches in the glass, everybody receives a couple of plastic bags to cover the shoes.

Clever, but the surprise of the situation is a good opportunity for some laughing, and some shoes are hard to cover.

"Bottoms up", then, will be the common position to see the Museum... for those who do risk|

• Archeology

• Feng Shui Museum

by Weina Written Jun 1, 2010

The Feng Shui Museum at the City Wall is quite disappointing, and no one is immune. I was with a small chinese tour group, and I also saw several other chinese tour groups, and they tried to pull the same crap on every one of us. They give you a guide and take you to a room, where the "Feng Shui Master" educates you about Feng Shui--showing a few pictures of buildings with bad feng shui and some with good feng shui. Then, they show you a "Real Regal Antique Ming Dynasty Dragon Horse" and invite you to put luck into your pockets. This is pretty cute and fun. What's not cute is when they corner you in a room filled with trinkets and encourage you to buy exorbitantly expensive "jade" dragon horse figurines. They tell you about how it "supports the museum" (which is part of the wall, which receives government funding) I got out without buying any.

The kicker? There's nothing else to the museum but a series of rooms all with identical "real antique Ming Dragon Horses" and photographs of buildings... hmmmm

Unique Suggestions: Enjoy the lovely historic architecture, watch the groups go in and out, and don't buy the figurines. If you want to support the museum and the wall (and maybe score some good fortune), drop a few RMB into the dragon horse drop box.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Chaos at Xian Airport

by lindyz Updated Oct 3, 2009

We arrived at Xian airport with about 1 1/2 hours to spare for our internal flight to Guilin, thinking that was ample time. However ... the queue for check-in was a mile long and going very slowly, and it took us almost an hour to reach the check-in desk. By this time we were quite flustered and anxious not to miss our flight. The lady at the check-in desk said there was something wrong with our tickets, something to do with wrong passport numbers. She spoke very little english, so we were getting quite frustrated. She sent us over to the China Southern desk, the lady there told me I had to go to line-up No. 72. By this time I was very angry and getty anxious. I stopped an airport guy who looked like he might speak english, quickly told him what was happening and he ushered us into the VIP check-in line. He clearly knew I was NOT HAPPY about what was going on, and we never did get an exact reason for the problems. We had enough time to check in (my suitcase was 3kg overweight!) go to the toilet and then get on the plane.

So, I guess this is just a warning that even though most people will tell you that check-in for domestic flights is only one hour, perhaps it is safer to allow a little bit longer for unexpected delays and problems!

• Pick Pocketing @ Bell/Drum Towers /Muslin

by jcsleal Written Mar 14, 2009

I've seen some messages about pick pocketing and thefts at these areas.
    Just to let people know that, right now (Mar'2009), there are not much to care about in these areas. I've walked a lot through these places and neither saw nor experienced any of such cases.
    Things may have changed.

Unique Suggestions: Obviously, the traditional care of not walking through desert alleys, or not staying where you feel unconfortble should still be exercized.

Leaving your valuable documents (passports, id's, etc) locked in your cases, in the best hotel you can pay, is a way to go. As per I could see, chances of you being hold by the police or authority for documents are null. Keep a copy in your wallet, instead.

• Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Terra Cotta Warriors Factory

by mikelisaanna Written May 10, 2008

As part of our trip to visit the Terra Cotta Warriors, our tourguide took us to a factory that manufactured replicas of the terra cotta warriors. It was a waste of 30 minutes. The factory was basically an excuse to sell souvenirs to tourists. It's hard to pack a terra cotta warrior in your luggage, so we skipped buying one, even though we were repeatedly told that "This factory produces the only officially sanctioned replicas, and the other ones that you can buy from other vendors are of inferior quality!" We would have gladly paid the guide a few RMB to skip this tourist trap.

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Theafs, pick pocketers in the underground tunnels

by dutchboycalledjan Updated Oct 10, 2007

We as well as our children noticed people tried to rob our wallets on the stairs to and from the underground tunnels at the Bell Tower. When we looked at them the quickly dissapeared.

Unique Suggestions: Watch your wallet, don't put in your back pocket. They also tried to unzip a bag.

• jasmine_ding's Profile Photo

Get on the public bus instead of mini bus

by jasmine_ding Updated Mar 21, 2007

If you want to visit Terracotta Army, Huashan Mountain, Famen Temple or Qianling Tomb, you can get on the public bus in the Railway Station Square.

The buses are painted in green, paying for the tickets after you get on the right bus. The mini buses belong to private, they will add some fake places and shopping spots on the journey, nobody enjoys that.

• Limclarence's Profile Photo

Beware...

by Limclarence Written Oct 28, 2006

Take note when at or around the train station, there are many people who will approach you for transportation. Some of them are very persistent...not a good day to start actually, especially early in the morning in the biting cold...

• thieves around Bell Tower

by tistra Written Sep 25, 2006

While we having dinder at Defachang, a famouse jiaozi restaurant nearby Bell Tower. A restaurant guard came to us and warned that we should be keep backpacks, bags in our sights. Of course, we don't know mandarin, but he did gestures to let us understand. So there might be lots of thieves around there.

When we walked out from restaurant just about 20s meters, we stopped to see shaped candies. I took a canon camera (IXUSi5), which is very small, from my backpack and hold it's rope around my left wrist. Suddenly, I felt that my left hand was light and my camera was gone. I saw a man in suit, his left hand was in his left pocket. Then I told to my friend that I lost a camera. My friend said that I might dropped it because she heard a dropping sound. Then we look on ground and found nothing. So I was pretty sure that my camera was stollen. The dropping sound that my friend heard was a toy sound that merchants play.

An aunty merchant who saw all scences did gestures to us that she saw a thief using scissors and cut my camera rope. But she couldn't tell me because she afraid that he could come and kill her because she has to come here everyday.

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

PPP: Persistent Pushy People.

by Mairo21 Written Oct 28, 2005

IT seems to me, these people are hanging around the well known tourist areas, trying to sell anything they can. IF you want to purchase something, always remember to bargain. IF you are not interested in what these people are selling, DON'T say a word, don't smile, don't laugh, or make eye contact....anything that will attract their attention. They can be quite aggressive, and are very persistent. They will stand in your way and pull at your clothes, if they think you have the slightest interest in what they are selling. Personally, didn't have it happen to me, but have observed other people in situations. Just keep on walking....eventually they will stop hounding you and move on to their next victim.

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Shopping Experience

by walterwu Written Dec 15, 2004

When shopping, always bargain.

Start your offer at less than 10% of the initial asking price and build up from there. In no circumstances, offer more than 20% of the initial asking price.

A initial asking price can come down from 120RMB to as low as 30RMB.

My experience is to offer very low price at the first shop and test the level of acceptance. Go to the next shop, if unsuccessful, and start 5RMB higher until one of the shops accepts your offer.

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Ridiculous Bargains

by walterwu Written Dec 15, 2004

Within the speciality shop in the Terracotta Warriors Museum, a boxed mini terracotta figurine set was offered at 300RMB.

At the entrance, the same boxed mini terracotta figurines could be bought for anything between 85RMB or 2RMB. Yes, only 2 RMB with box.

Don't pay anything more than 2 RMB. As a word of advice, always offer about 10% of the asking price.

• ivinlau's Profile Photo

Backstreet of Xi'an

by ivinlau Written Feb 18, 2004

The place where you can purchase souvenirs. It's situated in the city, where there are hundreds of stalls selling all kinda souvenirs. From terrocatta armies, to jades and from t-shirts & even designer items!

Unique Suggestions: Traps are every where in these places. To overcome them, u need to BARGAIN, BARGAIN & BARGAIN!

• shivan's Profile Photo

smoking

by shivan Written Sep 3, 2003

It is a common place that everybody in China smokes. It is true, actually.

Xi'An atmosphere is also filled iwth some strange yellow pour coming from caves in the surroundings.

The sky is rarely blue at any time, but most likely yellow.
    People breathe this air all the time and many citizens have lung illnesses because of this.

Well, in this "golden" atmosphere, there is incredibly a "no smoking" street in the ancient town, I can't remember which was but, well, 7 million people and cars, yellow atmosphere and they billed me for a cigarette I was smoking!!!

Well' I didn't see the sign. In a moment (I was alone) I have been surrounded by people telling me who knows what in chinese. One of them had a ribbon on an arm probably telling he was a policeman.

I've been billed! 1 yuan, I gave them 10 and they immediately vanished, not went away, vanished.

Let's say: 1 yuan = 1 euro cent....

Xi'an Hotels

British International Commercial
Hyatt Regency Hotel
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Xi'an

Comments

Xi'an Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Xi'an locals.
Map of Xi'an