Getting Around Xi'an

• Terminal 1 for Hainan Airlines domestic flights
    Terminal 1 for Hainan Airlines domestic...
  • Transportation
    Terminal 1

Most Viewed Transportation in Xi'an

Airlines to Xi'an

by angiebabe Updated Jul 17, 2014

Check out Air Asia as well as they have connections in and out of China now to brilliant places around Asia http://www.airasia.com/my/en/where-we-fly/route-map.page

• Adventure Travel
    • Study Abroad

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

72 hour Transit for Xi'an without needing visa!

by angiebabe Written May 13, 2014

This is great news if you are wanting to travel to Xi'an for only 3 days and have an onward ticket booked...visas can be so time consuming for China and often require commitment and planning so this is a lot less work!

This is copied from a recent article from the Travel Daily Asia website (link to website also provided below):

The ancient Chinese city of Xi’an will become the latest destination to offer 72 hours of visa-free travel to international tourists.

The capital of Shaanxi province, which is home to the world famous Terracotta Warriors, will allow passengers transiting through Xi’an Xianyang International Airport to stay in the city for three days without obtaining a visa prior to arrival, as long as they have an onward ticket for a flight to a third destination, departing within 72 hours of their arrival.

The scheme is available to citizens of 45 countries, including the all EU member states, the US, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Brunei, Russia, Ukraine, Qatar and the UAE.

Xi’an becomes the ninth Chinese city to offer the service, following Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Kunming, Chongqing, Dalian and Shenyang.

Shaanxi province welcomed 285 million tourists in 2013, 797,000 of whom entered through Xianyang Airport. The new policy is expected to come into force in the next two months.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Easy Parking

by solopes Updated Mar 4, 2014

We were driven all the time by bus, and couldn't get an idea about parking conditions in Xi'an. However, in contrast with the Great Wall at Beijing, where we had to leave the bus 2 km before arrival, here it was easy to park near the walls door.

Privileges for tourists, rigidly controlled time, or best conditions... what is the answer?

Xi'an Xi'an
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Websites for booking flights around China

by angiebabe Updated Feb 3, 2014

www.elong.com is a good website for booking flights around China - user friendly and in English and very helpful for seeing flight times and prices - when Ive compared the prices and availability with www.skyscanner.com, elong has been slightly better.
    you can also try www.english.ctrip.com

You can use your international debit or credit cards for purchases too.

Ive just recently used it to fly to Kunming and return from Xi'an - no problems. I printed my ticket/invoice statement to have with me but its not requested - they only wanted to see my passport at checkin and all was simple and correct.

You can use it for hotels as well - expats i know living here have said they have been able to get good deals using elong.com for price comparing etc as well - but for my recent travels i have my Lonely Planet guidebook and checked reviews via Trip Advisor for info as I prefer not to book ahead if not necessary.

waiting to go through security waiting to go through security
    • Adventure Travel

Hainan Airlines

by angiebabe Updated Jan 28, 2014

I bought a ticket via www.lastminute.com using www.skyscanner.com to compare and find me the best flight times and fares to get from London, UK to Xi'an, China
    ....this also helped me look into comparing baggage allowances as going for a year every extra kg would make a difference as to what things I might need I could also take.....

I noticed that in Hainan airlines conditions that their standard was 30kg instead of all the other airlines quoting the usual 20kg.Then I noticed that they had an extra 10kg making 40kg for 'international students' going to study in China. I made some phone calls - Brussels Airlines who would have the first sector of my ticket told me in no uncertain terms would I be able to have 30kg or 40kg...whatever Hainan offers is their business! even though CAAT now says who ever has the significant part of a ticket their conditions take majority.
    So I even looked into how much to pay for excess hold luggage.

When I contacted Hainan airlines I started to receive different information about it all - and I kept being told to ring the right number which was the number I was actually ringing - so they took me number and said the right department about student tickets would ring me back - they mentioned too though that for that month there was a special offer that 50kg could be taken with a student ticket...so the ticket issued needs to be reissued by Hainan.

After waiting for the evening and half of next day I started trying to ring again and confirmwhat I could do about if I bought a ticket would I get the student ticket and luggage benefits...someone at the Hainan office then told me there was no way I could do it as its only for students under 30....that wasn't written in the website conditions though! it said international students....So I rang again and another person answered and said there were no seats left on that flight that could be reissued as student tickets.
    Then thankfully i received a call from the Hainan Airlines department who told me they would get back to me and do the reissuing for me - they confirmed that with my letter of invitation from my school in China emailed to them and with my ticket issuer ie Lastminute, cancelling my ticket but not my seat, Hainan would be able to reissue me with a student status along with rights to have 50g of luggage... and that is exactly what happened!!

brilliant!

Terminal 1 for Hainan Airlines domestic flights Terminal 1 my Hainan Airlines flight from Beijing
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

Bus and Metro Pass

by angiebabe Updated Jan 28, 2014

you can buy a pass that works on most, not all buses that run around Xian, along with the subway routes.
    The card costs 18 renminbi so for say 50 yuan, youd have a card to use with 32 yuan credit that might last a week or at least a few days if you are travelling a lot.
    You can share the card so its not enforced that one card per one person...so thats good to know if you are travelling with others!

The metro deducts according to the distance or number of stations on your journey - you swipe when you get on and you swipe at the barrier when you get off. There are booths to top up at the stations.
    If you pay for your bus and metro trips as you go its 2 yuan for a bus journey - thats about 20p and if you use the bus pass its just under 1 yuan. Im not sure how much for metro as only ever used my pass but i have seen the ticket machines around the stations.

Some buses dont take the pass instead need close to the exact fare - often they tend to be the smaller buses - you need to tell the driver where you want to go so he can tell you what the charge is - it could be half a yuan (thats a few mao - the very small notes that say jiao on them)

You can only top up the bus and metro pass at metro stations and at the Bank of Xian!....the Bank of Xian brances (which are usually open 6 days a week but some are also open on Sundays, but not public holidays) have a special counter for pass top ups - give the person behind the counter your card and your money, when she gives it back to you you MUST swipe a gadget that is in front of you on your side of the glass to save/confirm the top up.

The 'Xian Traffic & Tourist Map', which is available for 12 renminbi at the airport, and for free at the Tourist Offfice next to the Drum Tower, and apparently various places around the centre, has the bus routes with their bus numbers, and Metro stations in pinyin and chinese marked on the map......very good map to get hold of for locating the sights and sites but dont be surprised if you find they are not totally exact or if buildings seem to be blocking what is supposed to be a road on your map!

an idea of metro maps underground an example of bus stops & buses in Xi'an
    • Singles

Bus 306/307 to Terracotta Army

by cal6060 Updated Oct 1, 2012

Xi'an public transportation company provides a bus route for tourists to visit major attractions including Mt. Lishan cable car entrance, Huaqing Hot Spring, Tomb of Qin Shi Huang, and Terracotta Army.

The different between this public bus and other public buses is Xi'an is that it comes with a tour guide inside the bus to provide some useful information of the attractions, and suggest an easy way to visit these sites in one day. Unfortunately, their tour guides speaks mandarin only. I took some note from a tour guide as the following:

1) We should visit either the Mt. Lishan or Huaqing Hot Spring first, then catch the bus to Terracotta Army. This sequence saves you plenty of time due to the bus route arrangement.

2) The bus service is between 7am to 7pm, 8 minutes each bus leave from the Xi'an Railway Station.

3) These buses only stop at assigned bus stops with their Bus Signboard Only.

4) Bus Fare: Xi'an Railway Station to Mt. Lishan or Huaqing Hot Spring is Y6 (1 hour). Mt Lishan or Huanqing hot Spring to Terracotta Army is Y3 (25 minutes).

These buses leaves from a bus-stop on the east side of the Xi'an Railway Station, in front of the China Post Hotel. Please refer the picture.

They are other bus companies provide similar bus services to these attractions. But based on the comments from other travelers, these buses stop at tourist shops to make you buy things. A lot of taxi drivers would come to talk to you and want to give you a ride to Terracotta Amy for on Y5. I did not do that as I heard so much bad comments of these drivers, and they could do nasty things to you.

Bus 306/307 are good enough. They are very safe, friendly, comfortable, time saving and affordable.

Bus 306/307, Xi'an Bus 306/307, Xi'an Bus 306/307, Xi'an Bus 306/307, Xi

Electrical Car at Emperor Qin Shihuang's Mausoleum

by cal6060 Written Mar 19, 2012

Emperor Qin Shihuang's Mausoleum Park is very huge, that consists of Pit K0006, Pit 9901, the mausoleum site , and etc, you can either walk or take the electrical car to travel in between those sites.

The fare for the electrical car is Y8 per person.

Electrical Car at Emperor Qin Shihuang's Mausoleum Electrical Car at Emperor Qin Shihuang's Mausoleum Electrical Car at Emperor Qin Shihuang's Mausoleum

Free Bus: Terracotta Army Museum

by cal6060 Written Mar 17, 2012

After visiting Terracotta Army Museum, don't forget to ride a free bus to The Emperor Qin Shihuang's Mausoleum Site Park with your Terracotta Army Museum ticket. It is about 1.5 Kilometers between these two sites. It takes about 15 minutes on each ways. You will pass by towns along the ways within Lintong district.

Bus, Terracotta Army Museum Bus, Terracotta Army Museum Bus, Terracotta Army Museum
    • Archeology

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Hire a guide for your day at the Terracotta Army

by lindyz Updated Jul 10, 2011

Tour Xian had come very highly recommended to my by Victoria (sugarpuff) who lives in Beijing and so the email process began, deciding on an itinerary and a price that was suitable to both. Having been told, same as with the Great Wall in Beijing, that seeing the Terracotta Army was best done with a personal guide, we were happy to book him.

The email address is tourxian@yahoo.com.cn
    Mr. Liu is who I organised it with, and George is his assistant, and he was great. George's real name is Pan Jianh Nan, but he goes, "just call me George"!!!

We paid George 1000rmb in total for the day, he was slightly dearer, as he also came with a driver, so that is why, but still I recon its very reasonable price.
    100rmb at the time was $90AUD each
    mobile phone number is 0086 13991296445
    On this day, we paid for all our entrances ourselves, so the 500rmb each is all we paid George.

George also picked us up from the train station from Beijing in the morning at no extra cost, and we were very grateful for that, as it was pouring rain and very chaotic!!!

Our day at the Terracotta Army went like this:
    8.00am - George picked us up from the Hotel
    9.00am - arrive at terracotta soldiers - entrance fee was 90rmb = $16
    12.00noon - left T'cotta soldiers and drove 1hr back to Xian
    1.00pm - lunch at King Town No. 1 restaurant - very cheap and yummy, Tracy and I paid for lunch for George and the driver as well.
    2.00pm - drive to Muslim Quarters and Great Mosque - very interesting and great shopping here! Entry to Mosque 25rmb.
    4.00pm - drive to Small Goose Pagoda - entrance was 50rmb.
    6.00pm - arrive back at Hotel. George also helped us put extra credit on our mobile phones.

George will be more than happy to do whatever itinery you give to him!!! He is a young guy, speaks very very good english and very very funny!!!

NEXT ... The train trip was unreal. We did NOT need a sheet, the beds had sheets, which were very clean, in fact the cabin room was spotless, which we were quite pleased about!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND using the services of Tour Xian, in particular George, as he was fantastic and we could not fault him one thing on the day. If you would like any further information or have any questions please email me :)

George and I at the Terracotta Army George and Tracy George and his car driver at lunch Tracy and I at the Terracotta Army George

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Overnight train from Beijing to Xian

by lindyz Updated Jul 10, 2011

Tracy and I had wanted to do an overnite train trip in Vietnam but didnt get around to it. So we were determined to do it in China, although we had received many warnings about Chinese Trains. Having done my research on vt and asked many many questions, I had decided to go "first class" and opted for the soft-sleeper tickets. Basically, (as far as I understand) there are 4 classes of tickets, starting with the dearest which is soft-sleeper, then hard-sleeper, then soft-seat and then hard-seat.

Soft-sleeper means there are 2 double bunks in a separate room, the room is not large, but big enough for yourself and your luggage. We were lucky enough to only have one other chinese man in our room, and he spoke good english and was very friendly and helpful.

There are 2 advantages to doing an overnight train trip, and both of them save you money. Firstly, you save on the cost of one nights accommodation. Secondly, the cost of the train trip is a fair bit less than the cost of an internal flight. Alvin was kind enough to buy our train tickets for us, lower berth was 400rmb I think and upper berth was 417rmb, or the other way around. It worked out to about $72AUD each for the train ticket. Our 2 internal flights cost us about $250AUD each, so there is a huge difference in price.

And, furthermore, it is a very pleasant trip, the gentle rocking of the train very quickly lulls you off to sleep and when you wake up, you are at your next destination. Tracy and I both had a great nights sleep on the train, and we would definitely do it again in the future.

Another advantage to booking the soft-sleeper tickets is that there is a special waiting area at the Train station for only people with soft-sleeper tickets. We were glad to discover this, as when we walked into the main waiting area, it was packed to the rafters and pretty unpleasant place to be. The other waiting room had nicer seat, Im assuming the toilets were nicer and not as crowded. This was great, as we had about 4 and a half hours to kill at the Train Station, we ate a bit and played cards for a while. We had to be out of our Hotel by 4pm as there were National Day rehearsals and if we had left any later, the roads would have been blocked. Our train didnt leave until 9.18pm so we had a lot of time to kill at the station.

Our train left from Beijing West Train Station, and when we were approaching the station in the taxi we were like OMG!!! This place was HUGE (I seem to use that word a lot when describing China!) Im sure it was bigger than our main Sydney Airport. Our train was called the Z19 and it was about the only recognisable thing on the HUGE board we saw!

Overall, I would definitely recommend doing an overnight train trip in China, I will be doing it again one day.

Confusing timetable at Beijing Train Station!!! Waiting for our train YAY!!!!  We found our train! Inside the soft sleeper cabin - very comfortable

• Green_Frog's Profile Photo

Buses to Terracotta Warriors

by Green_Frog Written Dec 26, 2010

Public Transport - Tourist Bus 5 (306) - 14 yuans per person - from the East Square of Xian Railway Station - takes approx 1 hour - you'll receive a return ticket and upon leaving you can either take the Tourist Bus or can catch a mini van - we chose the mini van back but it was more comfortable and faster on the coach - but as it wasn't there waiting for us we opted for the then and now option.

• Guide, Transportation and Accommodation in Xi'an

by Ann_in_Alaska Written Dec 28, 2008

By a great stroke of luck, we had Clarence Guo as our driver, host and guide. We are from Alaska, and we were traveling with our 86-year old father to China for a month. It was our first visit. We were safe and well taken care of. His e-mail address is clarenceguo@yahoo.com. He has written a book on the Terricotta Warriors. Additionally he took us to meet Chinese people who still live in caves.

He is a safe driver, charges reasonable prices, has lots of information and answers to our ga-zillion questions, and is a wonderful man. When we think of Xi'an; we think of Clarence Guo.

Expect quick and terse answers to your e-mail. That's just Mr. Guo's style. He and his wife run what would be considered a home stay in the US. Again, it was safe and clean and an easy walk in the evenings to restaurants and entertainment. The apartment came with a kitchen, full bath, two bedroom decorated in Xi'an style. The refrigerator was stocked with everything we needed to be comfortable.

Thanks to Mr. Guo, we saw and understood history! What a wonderful guide...Mr. Guo Wedding view from the Guo's apt. patio in Xi'an.

• Guide, Transportation and Accommodation in Xi'an

by Ann_in_Alaska Written Dec 28, 2008

• elpariente's Profile Photo

Visita a los guerreros /Day tour to the warriors

by elpariente Written Apr 2, 2008

Como el Ejército de Terracota está fuera de Xian, decidimos tomar una excursión, que contratamos en el Bell Tower Hotel, que está en la plaza de la Torre de la Campana.
    Fuimos seis personas en una minivan , con el guía y el conductor , a visitar:
    -Restos del pueblo Banpo , del periodo neolítico
    - Fábrica de Seda
    - Termas de Xian Huaqing (Hot Springs)
    - Almuerzo (Muy bueno , autoservicio, con comida china y occidental en las instalaciones de los GT. Hay espacio para más de 500 personas al mismo tiempo)
    - Visita al Ejército de Terracota
    - Mausoleo del primer emperador Quin

Salimos a las 9 am y volvimos a las 6 pm
    Precio: 350 Yuan incluido el transporte, guía y entradas

As the Terracota Army is outside Xian , we decided to take a tour , that we contracted in the Bell Tower Hotel , that is in the Bell Tower square .
    We went six persons in a minivan with the guide and the driver to visit :
    -Banpo Village Remains , from the Neolithic Age
    -Silk Factory
    -Xian Huaqing Hot Springs
    -Lunch ( Very good self service , with Western and Chinese food in the TA installations . There is room for more than 500 persons at the same time )
    -Terracota army visit
    -Mausoleum of the first Quin emperor
    Departure at 9h am and arrival at 6 pm

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
Xi'an Fenghe International Youth Hostel
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Xi'an

Comments

Xi'an Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Xi'an locals.
Map of Xi'an