Places to eat in Shanghai

Different types of steamed buns
    by edelng
    Hot soup bun using straw to drink
    3rd floor restaurant

Most Viewed Restaurants in Shanghai

• MaosRedArmy's Profile Photo

Shintori (Number 7): Anytime is Shintori Time.....

by MaosRedArmy Updated Dec 9, 2004

Shintori is a "chain" (I use this term loosely because each one has it's own unique personality, menu, and decor) of seven restaurants - 4 of which are located in Taipei and 3 in Shanghai.

I have only been to Number 7 (Chinese influenced cuisine) - which happens to be next door to Number 2 (Japanese influenced cuisine). When I enter the place, it feels like I could be anywhere in the world at a trendy restaurant lounge - LA, NYC, London, Tokyo... or, of course, Shanghai.

The food is unique and fantastic and the prices are surprisingly very reasonable. My only complaint is the bar - the drinks aren't stiff enough and the wait staff is not able to understand my drink order (a dry Absolut Martini), so I usually end up with something different than I ordered.

On my last trip, I was fortuante enough to have dinner with 3 VTers (for the first time ever) and it turned out to be a fantastic time.

For first timers, the restaurant has a secret code you will need to enter and there is also a surprise waiting when you want to use the bathroom !

Favorite Dish: I stay away from the main dishes and stick to the small dishes (Appetizers). There are so many good ones it's hard to list my favorites.

Photo Credit: IMSTRESS

Various: Muslim Restaurants in Shanghai

by MaosRedArmy Written Jun 17, 2004

Another VTer asked me for a list of recommended Muslim restaurants, so here is a list from a Muslim friend of mine (I am assuming they are all Halal). I apologize for some incomplete addresses and others without phone numbers......

1,001 Nights (Middle Eastern)
    Hengshan Road

Hong Chang Xing (Hot Pot Dishes)
    East Nanjing Rd., 10th Floor, BaoXiang Mansion
    Phone 63529700

Hui Feng Lou (Traditional Chinese)
    Phone 6328 1795

Islamic Restaurant
    North Sichuan Rd.
    Phone 5666 0045

• MaosRedArmy's Profile Photo

h ( o )( o ) ters Shanghai: Mmm Mmm Good..... Chicken Wings.

by MaosRedArmy Updated Feb 4, 2005

Hooters Shanghai is about as American as a restaurant in Shanghai can get. Buckets of chicken wings, picthers of cold beer, college basketball on the TVs, and of course, HOOTERS............paraphernalia for sale everywhere. If you are looking for a traditional Chinese meal, or traditional Chinese culture, you should stay as far away from this place as possible. You will be sadly disappointed.

This was Mao's first, but most likely not last, visit to Shanghai Hooters. Although the place is way out in Hongqiao and is not easy to get to during rush hour (or worse, when its raining and you can't hail a taxi), it is definitely worth the trip for Americans who are missing Hooters, or for those of you who have not yet seen Hooters.

In summary, Mao loves Hooters and hopes you do too.

For Mao's Shanghai Hooters Travelogue, please see: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/60bc9/#TL

Favorite Dish: I only go there for one reason - the Chicken Wings.

The Shanghai Hooters Crew
    • Beer Tasting
    • Zoo

Lagun Sari: A Good Indonesian in PuDong

by MaosRedArmy Updated Apr 9, 2004

Since I live in PuDong, it is always nice to find a restaurant within walking distance. Lagun Sari is a good Indonesian restaurant on PuDong Avenue (PuDong Da Dao), a half of a block up from the Novotel Atlantis Hotel.

Since there aren't any Indian restaurants on the side of the river (at least none that I have come across), if I am in the mood for some curry, I now have a respectable option that does not require anything other than me and my two feet (as well as a some RMB).

Favorite Dish: We had the Chicken Curry, Mee Goreng (noodles, veges, & seafood), Fried Prawns with Oyster Sauce (small shrimp, not prawns by any stretch).

For something a little different (if you like tofu) try the Tahu Telor, tofu drizzled with a sweet and tangy pineapple and peanut sauce (have them cut it up for you otherwise you will have to deal with the large mound with chopsticks alone).

Mee Goreng and Fried Prawns

• jessicafeeling's Profile Photo

The Little Lamb: Best lamb here!

by jessicafeeling Written Aug 22, 2004

Best lamb hot pot! they are different from many other hot pots in shanghai, no spicy sources supply for it, but the food especially meat here r very fresh! I love shrimp,lamb, beef here, damn good!(yes damn good!haha)
    it`s not hard to find it, coz of they have many restaurants in shanghai and other cities, yes multiple restaurants!;-)

Favorite Dish: LAMB LAMB LAMB,food here r very fresh and clean, different from many hotpot, but still very cheap!yummy yummy!! ;-)

the price is for two person which I applied, but for me well I can spend more than that since I have a huge stomach!LOL

HOT POT!!

• MaosRedArmy's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe (CLOSED !!!! HOORAY !!!): Missing the USA ? Try McDonalds instead.

by MaosRedArmy Updated Oct 31, 2004

UPDATED:

The Hard Rock Cafe has officially closed and been replaced with a Gucci and a Marc Jacobs boutique........This is music to a Shanghai gastronomer's ears becuz the food was haaaaaaaaaaarable and extremely overpriced...... Head to MALONE'S around the corner for the best burgers in Shanghai.

-------------------------

THE ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Compared to Hard Rock Cafes in the States, the food at the Shanghai branch is below average.

Also, the prices are ridiculously high for what you get. Lunch for 4 of us was almost US$100 and all we had was a couple orders of Fajitas, a quesadilla, nachos, and soft drinks (one person ordered 2 cocktails).

I won't ever go back again, as there are way too many better places in Shanghai to eat for a much better price.

If you are absolutely missing the USA, and want to go someplace familiar, then head to the Hard Rock Cafe. Otherwise, it is not worth the visit.

Favorite Dish: Fajitas were OK, but nothing special.

• MaosRedArmy's Profile Photo

Hot Pot King: If you haven't tried Hot Pot, do yourself a favor.

by MaosRedArmy Updated Mar 4, 2004

Hot Pot is enjoyed by both locals and visitors to Shanghai.

You sit around a table that has it's own burner and a large soup pot, usually divided into mild (clear broth) and spicy ( dark red broth), which is placed in the hole at the table after you sit down.

Next comes a waiter with the cart holding all of the "make your own sauce" ingredients that include sauces, spices, and chopped cilantro. You use this sauce to dip the cooked meat (or veggies or tofu) into before you eat it.

Hot pot is basically a communal pot of soup heated over a gas fire. Raw meats, vegetables and herbs are thrown into the boiling broth to slowly cook before being plucked out with chopsticks and eaten.

There a variey of meat and vegetables that you can choose from, but our group seemed to enjoy the meats and tofu more than the veggies.

Also, be advised that if you aren't used to spicy foods, don't ask for too spicy a broth. My group consisted of seasonsed spicy-food lovers and we ordered "medium-spicy". Even so, we all paid for our decision the next day.

If you have never tried it, Hot Pot King will be the perfect introduction to Hot Pot. If you are familiar with Hot Pot, Hot Pot King is a little more pricey and touristy than you might care for.

Favorite Dish: Beef, pork, and lamb in the spicy hot pot broth.

Also, the cucumber salad helped cool down the palate as I ate the spicy meats.

Watch out for the SPICY side......

• we2364's Profile Photo

The Door: The best mixture

by we2364 Updated Jul 5, 2009

Here is the description on their card about this place:

The Door, a restaurant and bar designed to bring you into an ancient time period where you experience the secrets and roots of the Chinese culture and history amongst its new age setting. The Door specializes in weaving the delicious falvors from around the globe creating a distinctive cuisine and wine list amongst its elaborate setting.

If you are not on a budget travel, this restaurant is a must-see place if you visit Shanghai.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• imstress's Profile Photo

NanXiang Xiao Long Bao: NanXiang Xiao Long Bao

by imstress Written Dec 28, 2004

If you have not tasted NanXiang Xiao Long Bao you have missed out something heavely!
    NanXiang Xiao Long Bao Restaurant is located at the side of JiuQu Bridge in ChengHuang Miao area in Shanghai.

Xiao Long Bao are steamed buns with a thin layer of skin, with meat fillings with juicy soup inside the bun. There are some with crab meat and crab roe.

The pricing is 16 buns for RMB8 (where u queue at level one).
    Go to the 2nd level (Pleasure Boat Hall) and pay for 16 buns for RMB15 with crab meat.
    At 3rd level (Chang Sing Hall) there is a minimum spending of RMB25 per pax and their Xiao Long Bao cost 6 for RMB20 with crab roe and their single big steam bun cost RMB20 and a straw is given with each order to suck up the soup.
    There is a 4th level (Ding Xing Hall) where you can order other dishes like Super Rank Steamed bun, Shrimp ball with crab roe, spring roll with crab roe, mushroom soup, big steam bun, cake with salty cashew nut.
    The 4 steps to eat Xiao Long Bao are:
    1) bite a small whole
    2) blow some air into the filling
    3) suck the juicy soup
    4) put the whole Xiao Long Bao into your mouth and savour slowly

Favorite Dish: Xiao Long Bao
    Prawn Ball (similar juicy soup inside)

NanXiang Xiao Long Bao

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Hai ze jiu jia (Shanghai dish): best rice dish I've had in China!

by marielexoteria Updated Dec 9, 2009

Walking down on East Nanjing Road, we turned to one of the crossing streets and were sort of ushered in by this woman. She showed us a very extensive menu with pictures and English translations and when I saw their ribs, I was sold.

The restaurant is adjacent to the pedestrian street and didn't have much of a cozy environment (which apparently is the norm in China) but their food was excellent and reasonably priced. The staff spoke some English.

I have no idea of what the restaurant is called so I took the name I got on their napkins and chopsticks.

Favorite Dish: I had the best rice dish I've had in years, rice with bacon and vegetables, plus sweet and sour ribs and spring rolls. I can't remember what Claus had with the ribs (he's not a rice person), and to drink we had Snow beer. The total bill was 81 RMB and totally worth it.

My food Snow beer

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Grilled snake on a stick: Gross Food

by Jim_Eliason Written Dec 25, 2004

It's true the chinese will eat almost anything. A common street food in Shanghai is grilled snake on a stick. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look exactly like a snake just skewered and cooked.

I will try almost anything but this was beyond my limit. I will spare you the photo.

• imstress's Profile Photo

Shintori Restaurant: Shintori Restaurant - Ying3 Qi1

by imstress Updated Dec 28, 2004

Be sure to get the passcode for the day when you make your reservation to Shintori Restaurant. (passcode for that day was 69 - we have to put our hand into 6 & 9 before the correct door to the restaurant opened. Else the other side of the door opened and you will bang right into the mirror if you walk that way)

And did I mention that you must go to the toilet as soon as you get the urge. By the time you find the toilet door and attempt to open it, you may have a big surprise of your life awaiting you ;p

Shintori is a "chain" of seven restaurants - 4 of which are located in Taipei and 3 in Shanghai.

See MaosRedArmy Restaurant Tips, because we went there together with we2346.

Favorite Dish: Thin sliced fish in special sauce
    spicy tofu in paper pot
    Aspragus

toilet?? freezer?? passcode?? lights??

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Roof-top at the Bar Rouge: The best view in the world

by lindyz Written Oct 4, 2009

My friend Chris who has lived in Shanghai for about 5 years (he is French) took Tracy and I here as a surprise, and it would be fair to say we were surprised and completely mesmerised. Chris knows the owner (guess that helps!) but as far as I could see, you dont have to actually pay to get in here, but I guess it would help to ring first and book a table. Bar Rouge is on the 7th floor and has completely unobstructed views of the night lights of Pudong, which was simply magic.

We did have one drink each here (Chris paid!) and only one as they were about 80rmb each. Chris and I had a cocktail each and Tracy had a glass of Chardonay. But it is worth paying that price for drinks when you consider the view that comes with it. Im assuming they also serve light snacks here.

Tracy and I at Bar Rouge roof-top bar The magical night lights of Pudong Chris and Tracy Oriental Pearl Tower Pudong lights

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo

Ajisen Ramen.: Ajisen Ramen.

by Guantanamera Written Sep 26, 2003

Ajisen Ramen is a very popular chain of Japanese noodle restaurants with delicious hand-pulled noodle soups...! For such an inexpensive eatery, the flavors were so sensational! It reminded me of eating at one of Tokyo's soba cafes, only much, much better! As you can see in the photo, the atmosphere is very nice...! I highly recommend this place... The one I ate at was on Huaihai Road...

Favorite Dish: Noodle soup with chicken and spices, and a side order of potato/fruit salad combination... It sounds simple, but I tell you, the flavors were OUTSTANDING!

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo

Brasil Steak House.: Brasil Steak House.

by Guantanamera Written Sep 28, 2003

The Brasil Steak House, located on the west end of Huaihai Lu just opposite the Shanghai Library, is an excellent authentic Brazilian restaurant...! Went here for a dinner with Emily (VT member simcard)... This place reminded me very very much of a famous restaurant called "Porcao" in Rio de Janeiro... Just like in Rio, waiters keep coming to your table and cutting slices of meat onto your plate from big skewers... There's also a very good buffet and they serve great Brazilian caipirinhas as well...!

Shanghai Hotels

Latest Shanghai Hotel Reviews

Four Points By Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Latest: Jul 1, 2014
Sheraton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel
Latest: Jun 27, 2014
Shanghai Classical Hotel
Latest: May 17, 2010
Hanting Hotel (Shanghai Nanpu Bridge )
Latest: Jun 8, 2014
Howard Johnson Plaza Shanghai
Hilton International Shanghai
Millennium Hongqiao Shanghai

Instant Answers: Shanghai

Comments

Shanghai Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Shanghai locals.
Map of Shanghai