Tandoor Indian Restaurant, Shanghai

by bellatrix
  • balramdass's Profile Photo

Tandoori restaurant Shanghai: Avoid if you can

by balramdass Updated Apr 13, 2010

The interior of the restaurant is good but thats about all that is good.
    Its well over priced and i was even overcharged for something we did not order so check your bill. You even have to pay for a glass of water. Despite being so expensive no one smiles or makes you feel welcome. No one came and asked if the food was ok.

The only other nice thing I liked here was the beautiful indian dancer who performed on stage

I wish I had read a review before visiting
    Only go in if you have money to burn

Favorite Dish: Cant say about other dished but what I had was ok but not my wife's
    she recons it was out of a can

• Cruise

• Tandoor Indian Restaurant Dhanghai: Indian Food

by shabad Written Apr 15, 2008

My Husband and I ate at this restaurant The staff are friendly , keep in mind you will pay for everything . Every little thing .
    The food tasted as though it was out of a bag . I do not recommend this restaurant at all the biggest rip off.
    I am East Indian and I know good Indian cooking This was terriable.

• Tandoor Indian Restaurant: seriously over priced!!

by faaiz11 Written Jul 18, 2006

I found this restaurant from this website as it happends, i read someones review of it and thought it sounded nice. I was in search of a halal restaurant, and this one says that it is. I have been to a few indian restaurants in shaghai whom claim to be halal but i spoke to the manager of the tandoor and he was also muslim, so i went with it. I must say i was rather dissapointed with my first impressions of the place given that all the other reviews realy focus on the decor, when realy i coudnt see what all the fuss was about!! After trying the food i was even more dissapointed to find that the price of the food in no way corresponded with the taste!! It was ok but deffinately a one off dinning experience, the restaurant itself is situated in a very posh expensive area which i suppose in some way accounts for the inflated prices.

Favorite Dish: we had the chicken curry, lamb curry and the chicken biryani. Personally i woudnt recommend any of these dishes!

• litekimchi's Profile Photo

Tandoor Indian Restaurant: Must Go Back!

by litekimchi Updated May 30, 2006

This is one of the best restaurants I've been on, EVER. I don't consider myself a big fan of Indian food, but this one made me a convert.

I love this restaurant! The service is impeccable. The wait staff are Indians who more than know what they're offering. They know the food and would give intelligent recommendations. If you wish for your food to be less spicy, they will do that for you--all you need to do is tell your waiter and he will take care of it for you. I have never seen such a service-oriented restaurant. They took care of everything. My cola glass was almost empty--and they didn't even wait for me to call them. The waiter approached me and offered me another glass (not for free, of course; but I appreciate the gesture!).

What I really love is that all the waiters speak impeccable English. That is hard to find in Shanghai.

The food is divine! We had kebabs and vegetable samosa. We had three kinds of bread: peshawar naan, tandoori roti and plain naan--all of which I love.

I would recommend this to anybody. Well, anybody with the budget. All of these things, of course, will come at a price. Dinner for 4 with drinks (drinks are quite expensive in Shanghai) cost us RMB746 or about USD100. It isn't for the traveller with a strict budget. I was on business, and the company picked up the tab.

Sorry, I couldn't take pictures. It didn't feel appropriate for me to do so at that time. Too bad, the food looked as divine as it tasted!

Favorite Dish: Ask the waiter, he knows everything! Just tell him what you like and what you don't, and he will give you recommendations. And try the tandoori roti with the vegetable samosa, or just plain curry sauce!

• MaosRedArmy's Profile Photo

Tandoor: The is one Romantic Indian......

by MaosRedArmy Written Mar 8, 2004

When I first entered the front door of Tandoor, I was pleasantly surprised by the interior design. From the "tunnel" you walk through to get to the main dining room, to the beatiful interior, you feel like you have been transported to somewhere in India.

However, when you taste the food, and then get the bill, you realize someone has to pay for the lovely decor and attentive service. I have tried many Indian restaurants in my day, and I can honestly say that, although the food was not bad by any measure, the taste and flavor versus the total price did not stack up.

If you can handle average Indian food and very steep prices or if you are on an expense account and want to be pampered (or pamper your client) with a beautiful experience, then Tandoor is the ticket.

Me ? I will be trying other Indian restaurants around Shanghai before I give Tandoor another visit.

Favorite Dish: It was all average. Tried Chicken Tikka Masala, Palak Panner, Samosas, Rice, and Chana Masala.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• bellatrix's Profile Photo

Tandoor Indian Restuarant: Great Indian food in Shanghai

by bellatrix Updated Mar 29, 2003

Jinjiang Hotel

This restaurant is so posh! It's quite an experience, with the beautifully intricate decor and sofly lit space.

Favorite Dish: I loved everything I had at this restaurant. I had samosas, malai kofta, and chai. Everything was splendid. The menu prices were a little high, but it was well worth it for the excellent food and unique dining experience.

Instant Answers: Shanghai