Shanghai Tourist Traps

by machomikemd

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Shanghai

Yu Yuan Garden Souvenir Shops

by machomikemd Updated Oct 17, 2014

unless you know how to haggle, this can be described as a tourist trap.

The Yu Yuan Gardens is a major tourist attraction in Shanghai, located in 218 Anren St, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China. The Yu Yuan Gardens, built in 1577 AD host the City God Temple and other attractions and there are tons and tons of Souvenir Shops and stalls where you can buy all sorts of Items on sale (China is the factory of the world).

Unique Suggestions: haggle on everything that you would buy like the fridge magnets, silk products, post cards, t-shirts, caps, etc as most have very high prices to make room for haggling.

Fun Alternatives: don't buy anything if you are a cheapskate, period.

the souvenir shops

Tian Hou Silk Factory Store

by machomikemd Updated Oct 17, 2014

the silk here are very good in quality but also very expensive as it is located along the industrial area of Shanghai in Hongquiao District near the Hongquiao International Airport. They have a silk factory of which they would give you a tour and then you proceed to their silk store where you can buy all the silk items you can see like clothes, nightgowns, cheongsams, silk scarves, silk wallets, silk bags, etc and good quality but high prices.

no haggling here.

address: No.308 Hongjing Road, Minhang District, Shanghai, China
    tel: +86 21 34310578

Unique Suggestions: do the free silk factory tour to know about the silk industry but if you are not into silk products, then don't buy or if you want cheaper option, then buy at the souvenir shops around shanghai but the silk quality there might be not as good.

Fun Alternatives: none as most big bus group tours and private van tours of shanghai have an obligatory stop at one of the many silk factory stores in Shanghai.

enter nice fabrics show roomy huge
    • Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

Chinese Herbal Center

by machomikemd Updated Oct 17, 2014

if your not into eastern medicine, this is not a place to be.

Most group tours and private van tours has obligatory stops to one of the many traditional chinese medicine stores and factories in and around shanghai of which they offer free foot massage and the famous bottle massage (see my pictures) and afterwards, a traditional chinese medicine doctor will see to you and would say you have some sort of disease and then you need to buy assorted chinese herbs and exotic medicine concoctions from their store.

Unique Suggestions: have the free bottle massage and foot massage, but don't buy the medicine stuff if you are not into Traditional chinese medicine.

Fun Alternatives: none, just don't buy anything

entrance medicine assorted tonics pictures diagnosis and bottle massage

• solopes's Profile Photo

Tea as gold

by solopes Updated Dec 22, 2013

We had a good demonstration, by the Bund, of several qualities of tea, with the final offer of "special conditions", as usual. We bought just one box of white tea, for... big money.

I'm not an expert in tea, and paid. But, in the airport, we checked the price. I know that airports are always expensive, but... half the price, for the same box...
    There are no free lunches nor... demonstrations!

Shanghai - China Shanghai - China

• solopes's Profile Photo

Touristy train

by solopes Updated Dec 22, 2013

After walking a while in Nanjing Road, I reached People's place too tired to go any further. We saw some small trains, announcing " A tourist circuit of Shanghai". It seemed to be, exactly, what we needed.

Boarding the train is a tricky competition, with a learning period: When the train approaches the stopping point, several men start walking with it, holding a door, until it stops. When the occupants leave, they take possession of those benches, calling the colleagues that wait nearby.

Two RMB was a surprisingly low cost. That was the good news.

At the 3rd or 4th train I won my bench, called Fernanda, and... let's go.

Some minutes slowly descending Nanjing Road, and... end of the trip, at exactly the same distance to the hotel.

Frustrating!

Shanghai - China

• npg's Profile Photo

nanjing lu walking street but not just confined to

by npg Written Oct 28, 2012

i'm not sure this happens to female travellers but occassionally you will get hit up by one or two attractive young women wanting to improve their english skills and if you would like to have tea - coffee or a small meal with them. if you agree - they will take you to a small restaurant or similar and everything will be fine and you will chat. then the bill comes and you get smashed by a hefty charge!
    the deal is that both the girls and the restaurant are in on the take and they split the massive profit!
    this scam has been happening for well over a decade.
    AVOID IT.

Fun Alternatives: if you can't control your good samaritan self or your "little brain" - DO take them to kfc or mcdonalds or anywhere that is your choice. DO NOT let them ORDER for you. DO NOT let them take your MONEY to the counter to pay for the meal or coffee etc.

• Study Abroad

• npg's Profile Photo

nanjing lu walking street

by npg Written Oct 28, 2012

in the most part it's safe...but you will get hit up by people trying to sell you watches, bags, massage, girls. it is annoying BUT be aware of pick pockets!

Unique Suggestions: if you are carrying a bag or small backpack. make sure it's zipped/locked and with you or in-sight of you at all times. don't carry wallets in back pockets etc

Fun Alternatives: the only alternative is to try and avoid weekends. the touts are still there but it isn't as nearly as packed.

nanjing lu walking street on a saturday nanjing lu walking street on a saturday
    • Study Abroad

• Nanjing Shanghai, Tourists' trap by pretty ladies

by nashad Updated Jun 7, 2011

I was with bussiness partners for a week in Shanghai. Last 2 days I kept for holidays alone. At nite when I reached Nanjing from River Walk side, I was approached by a lady who intoduced me to her gorgeous friend and asked me to sit down at some place for a nice talk. I went with her to a bar. We ordered food n drinks. We even got a bit intimate. " Bang " the bill was like 400 US bucks ...ripped me off. Anyway I paid a part of it, still too much to pay. Asked them to come to my hotel for a chat if they really wanted...they introduced me with another average looking lady for that. I declined and thought I need to get some return of what I paid from this beautiful gal. So we went to another bar and for more that an hour we had real fun. " Band Again " bill was 1000 US bucks ... now I was ready ... I dont know if I made a mistake by going to yet another bar. But I made a big scene out of it and said I will pay for three beers and a coke which I ordered less than 50 US bucks. Pretty gal left for loo and never came back. The other one pretended she's stuck with the Bar people. Anyway After 45 minutes or so, one of the ber guys took me down from the 12th floor n let me go.

Unique Suggestions: Do not go to a place of their choice. Only Mc Donalds/ KFC/ Starbucks are safe bet. If you really want to have fun, ask them to come to your hotel room (if you really like one of those, like in my case) ...DO NOT GO TO ANY PLACE OF THEIR CHOICE...

the places were one RED and Yellow Billboard with Chinese written vertically on it ... a long passage leads to the main hall (off nanjing road)
    the other was above KFC on 12 th floor ( Too bad people )

They ask 5000 Yuans for using their place...tell 'em to forget it.
    keep small cash only and avoid Credit cards ... atleast tell these A*s H*les you aint have any cards ....bottom line

Fun Alternatives: If you are stuck ... do whatever do not pay more than 50 dollars.

• Business Travel

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Tourist Tunnel

by MikeySoft Updated May 18, 2011

The Tourist Tunnel goes between The Bund and Pudong. You get a light show along the way. You can take the metro instead.

Unique Suggestions: .
    The Tourist Tunnel is so bad and such a big tourist trip that you may want to take it to experience how bad it is. :)
    It was RMB for one way and 45 RMB for round trip when I took it. The price may have gone up a little. But if you want to experience it so you and tell all your friends and family how bad it is, take it for the fun of it.

Fun Alternatives: .
    You can take the Metro under the river for about 1/10 the price. But the Tourist Tunnel is a little more convenient from the Bund, The metro is a few blocks away at the end of the pedestrian area of Nanjing Road while the Tourist Tunnel is on the Bund.

I plan to post a video on youtube but I found this one. Once you link to this video, you will several links to other videos of the tunnel.
    Please rate this and my other tips whey you find them useful.

• Theme Park Trips
    • Trains

• Spot and get out of the Nanjiang rd., S'hai trap.

by broxe Written Jan 17, 2010

After spending an hour or so talking to genuine people who wanted to talk english in the park next to peoples square (today, Sunday, Jan 17th) - (there is an "English Speaking" corner of the park where Chinese and westerners exchange ideas and conversation) - I headed back towards Nanjiang Rd., and fell in with two very nice girls who said I talked just like their english teacher. Even though I had just read all about the scams on this blog I still went with their suggestion for tea at a cafe a 4 storeys above street level. We went in a side booth. I checked around, starting to think I may have been set up but the place had quite a few of what seemed normal customers. I checked the menu and prices seemed touristy normal. After the first drink arrived then came snacks and fruit. I'm starting to feel uneasy. Their conversation was getting a bit sexy. I asked the girl what she was ordering and she said more beer. I then knew it was on.

Unique Suggestions: This is what I did, with the benefit of the posted tips on this site. I knew the scenario - there would be a big bill which I would have to pay. Before finishing my drink completely I said I had to go, I had to get back. Big protests from the girls not allowing me - I was hemmed in in this small booth. Then I said I need to go to the lavatory - same holding down and prostesting. I then said I was really sick and might be having a heart attack and stood up trying to push past the girls who by this time were shouting for the check and showing their true colours by being abusive. I got really angry. I pushed the table out of the way, knocking over most of the drinks and shouted some abuse at the girls - making a big scene for all the cafe to witness - headed out of the door to the elevators followed by four staff from the cafe who were not threatening but wanted me to come back in, calm down and "talk about it". I said I had an argument with my girlfriend and wanted to leave whilst talking on my phone to some imaginary person I had pretended to call. The elevator arrived, I went down - almost a beer better off, having paid nothing. No one stopped me.
    I am an older guy and I imagine it would be more difficult for a young person to this. But if you know that you're in a scam, my advice is kick off big time and cause a scene. Embarassment is the least of your worries in this type of situation and they are hardly going to call the police (even if you'd got it totally wrong and they were genuine).

Fun Alternatives: However hot, good looking and sexy you may think you are guys, girls just don't pick you up on the street for nothing.

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Airport Taxis

by rabbit06 Written Dec 26, 2009

Do not be fooled by the neatly dressed man in the two piece suit who offers you are taxi ahead of the long queue, this will cost you three times the price as these are private operators with no taxi meters!

Unique Suggestions: At Hongqiao the queue is quite quick and you will find an even larger line of taxis waiting for a fare (five or six across ) which are well organised by an official wearing white gloves directing not only taxis but us passengers...ha ha!

Off they go! Hongqiao Airport
    • Eco-Tourism

• 161 Zhapu Road, Shanghai

by chinatraveller111 Written Dec 4, 2009

161 Zhapu road near the Bund, Shanghai, is a bar of con-artists. It is also a brothel so stay well clear. Numerous travellers have been duped their by attractive ladies prowling the main streets of Shanghai. Subsequently they will spend some time with a girl, have a few drinks, then get presented with a bill for an absurdly high sum.
    Once you give your credit/debit card details, which you will be intimidated into doing, and sign, theres no way out, so stay well clear.

• sacha623's Profile Photo

Nanjing Road - girls

by sacha623 Updated Jul 1, 2009

While walking on Nanjing road, you always meet some girls who want to attract you in traps. Those traps are famous for people living in Shanghai. I like playing with fire, and the last time, I would like to see what could happen if I talk with those girls. After the classic talk about what I am doing here and where I come from, they proposed me to go to take a drink in their bar (the famous trap). I proposed them to go to Mac Donald instead of going in their trap.

I was a kind of surprised to see that they accepted to go to Mac Donald with me. I paid them a Coca-Cola. It costs me almost nothing ! Nevertheless, once I quited them for going back to my home, they sent me a message on my mobile phone. And now, they currently continue to ask to see me again... They think that because I spent some times with them, I trust them and I will go to take a new drink in their trap.

Finally, there nothing interesting to get from those girls. They just want to earn money and nothing else.

I hope you can experiment those kind of talk like me without spending too much money !
    Good luck in places like Nanjing Road !

Unique Suggestions: Pretend that you do really really want to invite them to Mac Donald.

Fun Alternatives: Starbucks or other place that you ever gone before and which are very cheap !

• Adventure Travel

• Bund Tourist Tunnel

by pgmark Written Sep 14, 2008

After reading the posts on here about the tourist tunnel, I have to disagree. If you are at the waterfront and you want to go across the river to the waterfront on the other side, the tunnel is the best way. Otherwise, you will spend a good 45 minutes or more walking to the subway station, taking the train, then walking back to the waterfront. Yes, the tourist tunnel costs more. Think of it like you are taking a ride though - does the cost of the tunnel seem like a fair price to ride a ride at an amusement park? I would say yes. More than that, it does something practical in getting you from one place to another. I was more than happy to pay and sit in the car as it went through the tunnel than to have to walk the distance, which I was expecting to do, in what is sometimes called the pedestrian tunnel. Besides, the ride is downright psychadelic and pretty cool in a slightly cheesy/tacky sort of way.

• Ask to use meter in cabs

by thescene Written May 5, 2008

There will always be people trying to take advantage of tourists. Perhaps they are thinking that these "rich" tourists can afford to pay more for the service. Perhaps some people can afford but that's not the point is it.

Just like any city in the world always nicely ask the driver to activate his meter once you leave. In fact you should tell them outright before you board the taxi. Once you journey is completed be sure to get a receipt from the meter.

Fun Alternatives: You can always use the Shanghai metro. It's fast and cheap. The only yhing you have to contend with is the crowd in the train.

Instant Answers: Shanghai

Comments

Shanghai Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Shanghai tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shanghai sightseeing.

Shanghai Members Meetings