Shanghai Warnings and Dangers

by JC.Popofu

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai

• Tourist traps

by Vikingerling Written Jun 25, 2012

Do not ever go with anyone anywhere in Shanghai unless you know them well and know they are OK people. This apples especially to a anyone offering any form of contact or help in Nanjing Road area as they will take you to a massage parlor or coffee bar where you will be scammed for thousands of yen. The girl involved in the sales is very nice and intelligent and after talking and walking for a while you think she is straight but she is just the first of a team of criminals who will threaten you with violence using big hefty Chinese crooks if you do not accept to pay 30000 yens for club membership, fake drinks, unśolicited services, etc. I got away with paying 5000 yens after a long discussion with the boss and 3 henchmen and when I tied to foto the place was threatened and physically forced from the street by another crook on the street who was in walkie talkie contact with the other crooks and I had to escape by running after a taxi.
    Never go with a girl who offers you massage. Never go with a girl who wants to practice her English. Never let anyone help you shop. Never let anyone you don't know take you anywhere at all in Shanghai. NEVER TRUST ANYONE IN SHANGHAI

• Business Travel

• Running out of clean laundry?

by TorontoLawyer Written Mar 1, 2012

I'm the guy who usually spends an entire evening looking for a laundromat in a strange city, then giving up and spending the whole night washing the whole load in the sink using one of those tiny bottles of free hotel shampoo. Thankfully I will never again have to do this in Shanghai! Check out http://myspawash.com/spawash.html. For about US$15, these folks will pick up, wash, dry, fold and return to your hotel up to 7lbs of dirty laundry, all within 24hrs! Best of all, they speak fluent English! Totally trustworthy and honest, and one of the best-kept secrets of the ex-pat community in Shanghai. Check them out... they are awesome!

• ZenLady34's Profile Photo

Tea Ceremony Scam

by ZenLady34 Written Dec 14, 2011

Having a 12 hours flight behind us and after arriving to the hotel, we decided to take a walk to Yuyuan Garden. The lady at the reception told us that its only 15mins walk to the Yuyuan Garden- area, so we decided to stretch our legs and get some fresh air before taking a nap at the hotel.

Right outside the subway stop, next to Yuyuan area, a group of students approached us asking whether we could take a photo of them as they were travelling together. A photo was taken and the kids started talking, being very interested about us - in a polite way, and we thought they wanted to practice their English etc.
    After a while, one of them offered that we could join them, as they were actually on their way to a Chinese tea ceremony. What the heck, we thought and followed them to the Tea room few streets away.

We had a great time, chatting and tasting really delicious flavors of tea together and taking photos, until the check-out time came. What happened? At the very end, we were asked which flavors we liked best, we should name four flavors. Then some gift boxes were introduced. At this point an alarm clock inside my head woke up (finally!!) and I asked the price for those tea gifts...the price was 1000RMB. We thanked and said no thanks. Ok, the bills were taken for the tea ceremony...mine was 400RMB! What happened? I paid for it, knowing that it was way overpriced...

Always trust your instincts and be always skeptical when you are asked to follow somewhere for something… and yes, there are several warnings on tea ceremony scam on internet, also on VT pages but unfortunately I did not check them before our trip.. After reading the warnings on net I discovered that actually we ended up paying quite "little" for this scam as some of the scammed tourist had to pay 1000 or more RMB's. It did leave a bad taste in the mouth, but then again, no-one was hurt.

Two of the students Two more of the sc***ing students Tea ceremony...

• glendon1's Profile Photo

SHANGHAI:PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS

by glendon1 Written Sep 4, 2011

A quick way to get seriously injured or killed is to assume that crossing a street in Shanghai is similar to crossing a street in Canada. A friend and I were crossing a street at a traffic light in Shanghai. The pedestrian "walk" sign was illuminated and we were able to negotiate the first of six lanes with no issue.Traffic was not yielding to us in the next lane, as one would expect in Canada, and my friend paniced and darted across in front of a bus that literally missed him by a hair. The bus driver did not even take his foot off the accelerator. He did not realize how close he was to death or serious injury, but 5 months later I can still visualize the incident very clearly. LESSON TO BE LEARNED: Be very careful crossing a street in a Chinese city. The traffic rules are different. LOOK for overhead crossings if you have any physical impairments. They are safer even if you don't have physical mobility problems.

Overhead walkway
    • Seniors

• Traditional tea celebration, Shanghai, People Sq.

by eenda Updated Jun 10, 2011

Traditional tea celebration, Shanghai, People Sq.

As many of you even I got tricked, perhaps they could want us already when entering China :)..
    Boy and girl talking with English much better than all my Chinese friends, telling me how nice I am etc and inviting me to have a tea, then a giving me some for family, and as the last thing they bring a check EUR 150, well just f.. them, luckily I did not have much cash and even that they intended I said "look you can givem that for free or keep it" so I very unhappily paid EUR 30 for the drunk tea, and was sh*t angly, then they left to do shopping.

I hope that hell will find them in pain..

• Museum Visits

• Fake tea performances

by giambo Updated May 26, 2011

Never believe chinese people telling you they want to practice english, that you or any girl with you is beautiful, and that they are going to take you to a nice place where they planned to go that evening.
    They normally catch you using the "please take us a picture" trick.
    Do not believe them, do not follow them, do not pay attention to their talk, just leave!

They usually try to invite you to a tea or dance performance...

• Oh my god, they want to kill me

by mina2naz Updated May 25, 2011

I was walking in Xin Tian Di at 11 pm, a place for bar, restaurants and night clubs recommended by Grand Hyatt shanghai hotel. A nice looking guy approached me and said that if i want to have some fun and happy time in a karaoke bar with beautiful girls, he can help me. He seems very innocent and friendly. He said his name is jimmy. First i was so suspicious but he assured me that if you don’t like the place and girls we can go back. We take a taxi and 5 minutes later we were in a bar in second floor with a red light entrance. I thought that inside the bar everything is normal, 6 girls came to karaoke room and I select one of them, then they (girl and bar manager) started to ask tip, as I was there for fun I gave them 300 RMB and then bar manger ask that if I have some dollar or euro give them some but I had only RMB. So she checked my wallet to see how much money I have, then I had love with girl and here the story just begin, the girls take 400 and bar manager(woman) asked for more tip for him a boy who they said he is a poor boy cleaning the bar. The boy bring me a bill for a beer and two snack and a plate of water melon that I never noticed them before, having love and room rent and … a 14000 RMB, around 2200 $ for a 30 minute love making, oh my god, I said that it is a big rubbery, suddenly another man come to the room and said he is boss and I should pay the bill. I said I will call police , and he punched me in the face , I was shocked , he said if I want to call the police I should write down that I had sex with a student that is illegal. After some time I try to give them money to free myself because they took a beer bottle and show me that they will kill me if I don’t pay them. They took 4000 RMB all cash that I had( around 640$) and charge my credit card 3000 (476$) more. Hopefully this card had only a maximum 500$ credit. After paying 1100 $ for a very bad night with a painful soring face, I was freed to take a taxi to hotel. As I had to go back home one day later and as I did not trust police in China because they know what is happening there for sure, I decided to just share this with you for your safety and may be saving your life. Be careful and do not trust in Jimmies.
    It happened tonight to me.

Xin Tian Di Xin Tian DI
    • Seniors
    • Music

• yipsufen's Profile Photo

Lights Off During the Hot Summer Months

by yipsufen Updated Apr 4, 2011

It is not advisable to visit Shanghai during the summer months as most lights in major tourist attractions may be shut off, especially in The Bund. This is one of the Chinese government's measure to conserve energy consumption during the peak hours. Hence, might scene at Shanghai Bund will be quite gloomy / in shadow.

Moreover, temperature can rise up to over 40 degrees Celcius which is scorchingly hot & humid for sightseeing. Thunderstorms may hit Shanghai and cause flood too.

Lights at Shanghai Bund
    • Architecture
    • Cruise

• Goofyguy's Profile Photo

Thieves

by Goofyguy Updated Sep 24, 2010

I was in Shanghai near the Yuyuan Garden (Shopping area, tourist trap) The area here is very busy yet beautiful. The Yuyuan Gardens are a must see. Be very careful in this area with your camera equipment. I had my camera lens stolen, (1400 lens) they used the bump technique and took the lens right off my camera. The whole incident was caught on CCTVand the bump was just the distraction as they had already taken the lens just prior. Very common the Police stated, they can remove a lens as easy as you grab a door handle and turn. After the incident I noticed anyone with camera equipment gripping the lens and camera body out in front of them (as I usually do but obviously didnt at the time) Backpacks in this area are even wore backwards by most as its just that bad there. I was there for work and described the incident to a local and he warned that its even worse on public transportation as he had a laptop, and phone stolen.
    Overall its a beautiful place to visit. Too bad my memory of Shanghai is only a bad one.

• Photography

• shanghai hustlers

by shanghaihustlers Written Jun 20, 2010

like the other posts i got chatting to a nice girl on nanjing road. we had little bite to eat and went to karaoke bar. she was being very friendly. i was very suspicious from the start but after few hours together she seemed genuine. got MASSIVE bill in karaoke bar (around $1000). managed to negotiate it down, but was totally hustled and ripped off-going to shanghai-WATCH OUT!!

• Singles
    • Adventure Travel

• Pick Pocket gangs

by allaround1111 Written May 2, 2010

In Shanghai and Nanjing, I have had 4 experiences with pickpockets and typically the thieves operate in gangs where if by chance you catch one in the act, your property has been passed off to the others.

Experience 1 - The Bund (Nov 2004). . . I was with a friend who had a small camera bag with digital camera. A single thief, came up and slowly opened his bag. But my friend felt a slight movement and jerked the bag away causing the camera to drop. The thief then apologized and walked away. I then decided to try to take his picture with my camera. He went to a hiding place in the shadows of a walkway to cross under the street. When he realized what I was doing. . . he ran down the steps taking 4 or 5 at a time.

Experience 2 - Bus Station Shanghai (May 2005) I was alone and in line to get my ticket at the bus station, I had my back pack resting on top of my rolling suitcase. All of a sudden there was a rush of unwanted people around me and as soon as I got my ticket, they were gone. I looked down to my back pack and saw the zipper was open and my camera gone.

Experience 3 - Zhao Jia Bang Rd - Shopping district in the daylight (Sept 2005) I was standing on the street with my girlfriend, waiting for a friend to pick us up. When I saw a group of guys walking closely behind a girl and trying to open her purse. Having just recently replaced my camera, I started following them and then when I was close enough behind them . . . I shoved one into the other three causing them to fall. Even after I started yelling at the guys on the ground, the intended victim did not even realize she was being robbed. Of course the guys started yelling threats, but eventually ran away. My girlfriend said that she could not believe what I had done, She saw what was happening, but it is not the Chinese way to protect someone that is being victimized, out of fear they would be attacked later.

Experience 4 - Nanjing Zhongshan Rd in front of Jingling Hotel (Dec 2006) Walking back to my apartment, I felt a slight tug on my backpack. I spun around and saw a young guy trying to open bag. I turned and chased him a few feet where he began apologizing and retreating into his gang.

So here are my recommendations:
    1. Be familiar with you bags and try to set them where you can feel any movements
    2. Keep all the zippers fully closed and latched if possible - this will make it more difficult for pick pockets
    3. When in large crowds look out for groups of teen-age boys usually 3 to 4 in a cell. . . if you see this type of group keep some distance between you. It is usually the younger boys under 16 that are doing the stealing and pass the goods back to the gang leader (Usually over 18) as the leader can do time for crime, the young ones get slaps on the wrist.
    4. When walking through the city, keep checking your "6", if you spot somebody more than once you might change your path a little.
    5. Remember in China the common person will not help you as you are being robbed. They will wait until after to offer their apologies.

• Work Abroad

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Nanjing scammers!

by HispanicYob Written Mar 27, 2010

Don't be fooled by some of those scammers on Nanjing Road. If you're a Westerner, you'll be easily bothered and followed by these people. Now, they may not all be that way, but it's best to just give the cold shoulder since you never know. I was approached at least by 4 different people. Whether it's selling I-Phones (that might break in a week like so many fake Rolexes sold in this country) or beautiful girls offering to take you to a teahouse, you never know if they'll take you somewhere else and extort you an exuberant amount. I had seen a couple of these warnings here before hand about this kind of thing. And I didn't take them in stride. It's sad because some might actually just wanna talk to you. Those offering the massages, I'm sure there's horror stories of those who've accepted only to find the girl takes all your belongings later on when she goes to your hotel room. Just be wary. Duck into a shop like I did if you have to.

A mini Hong Kong, Nanjing Road
    • Singles

• shanghai Shoe police scam

by jay1970 Written Jan 25, 2010

I have gone thru 8 pages of "Warning or Danger" section but didn't find any reports on this scam. I think it's very common. Here is what happened to me.

I was looking for a taxi near fake goods market. A shoe shine guy offered to polish my shoes. I didn't really want it so I told him no but he kept following me. It was cold and guy didn't even have sweater on him so I felt bad for him. Even though I didn't need shoeshine, but I wanted to help poor guy so I asked him how much. He signaled with five fingers. I thought it's five RMB. I asked him to go ahead. He was done in less than two minutes. Even though he did lousy job, I just wanted to help him so I thought I will give him 10RMB. When I gave him 10RMB bill, all of a sudden he started speaking English and demanded 50RMB. His friends also joined started chanting 50.. 50..50... I know labors in China hardly make 700RMB/month. This guy was asking for 50RMB for two minutes job. I only had 20RMB in my external pockets, I showed him and told him that's all I have. Finally he settled for 20. Luckily I had some money in inner pocket of jacket. So I was able to take taxi back to hotel.

Same thing happened to my co-worker few weeks later.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Tea ceremony scams, charlatans and cheats

by aukahkay Updated Jan 9, 2010

When you walk around Nanking East Road Pedestrian Mall, you may be approached by a young Chinese purporting to be a university student eager to bring you to attend a tea ceremony at his or her campus. He/she will speak fluent English and you will be convinced to follow him/her. Never ever do this. There is an ongoing scam in Shanghai to rip off Western tourists. At the end of the tea ceremony, you will be presented with a whopping bill of RMB 2000 - 3000. Bouncers will appear from nowhere if you refuse to pay or threaten to call the police.

Shanghai is a great city but a city riddled with scams, charlatans and cheats. Be very careful and do not accept any offer from any stranger. Only engage the services of licensed tourist guides who must wear their identification badge on them.

Nanking East Road Pedestrian Mall

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Traffic!

by rabbit06 Written Dec 26, 2009

There is so so much traffic in Shanghai, they all toot their horns or ring their bells, there seems to be no real road rules so it took me three days to learn how to cross the road safely and i was proud just to get on the other side by myself......lol

Quick run! Look out! Good luck....lmao Oops!! Great a pedestrian over/under bridge!

Instant Answers: Shanghai

• SAMShanghai's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Two tips I would like to second: 1. The laundry tip re SPAwash. They are a great service, everything from personal laundry (and work closely w/hotels and apartment communities for extra convenience) to dry cleaning (high quality plus in an unusual move, they use eco friendly products) and specialty items. They cleaned and repaired a favorite jacket of mine and it looks brand new. You can get laundry done nearly everywhere in Shanghai, but if you bring your expectations from home, you want to contact them. They usually do a 50% off for first timers too, I think. 2. Crosswalks/pedestrians. The signs and zebra crossings give people the idea of right-of-way as they might know elsewhere. Do not make that assumption. You may also be startled when a motorized scooter honks at you from behind on the sidewalk to get out of its way.

• mariabjorkgard's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Hi! I live in China and went to Shanghai this weekend. I went clubbing with my friends and we went to McDonalds at around 6am. There were a lot of beggars there and this one woman came up to us and asked for money. We said "mei you" (dont have), but they wouldn't give up. The woman had with her a little child who managed to distract us for a while.

When we went out of McDonalds a bit later I realized they had stolen my phone from my jacket pocket. I am usually very careful with my things and have never lost anything like this before. So be careful! Carry your stuff on the inside of your clothes.

It is also worth saying that the police station could not file a report on the stolen phone (which I needed if I wanted the money for the phone from my travel insurance company) so this makes it even worse.

Shanghai Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Shanghai warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shanghai sightseeing.