Shanghai Warnings and Dangers

by JC.Popofu

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai

• Fake tea performances

by giambo Updated May 26, 2011

Never believe chinese people telling you they want to practice english, that you or any girl with you is beautiful, and that they are going to take you to a nice place where they planned to go that evening.
    They normally catch you using the "please take us a picture" trick.
    Do not believe them, do not follow them, do not pay attention to their talk, just leave!

They usually try to invite you to a tea or dance performance...

• Traditional tea celebration, Shanghai, People Sq.

by eenda Updated Jun 10, 2011

Traditional tea celebration, Shanghai, People Sq.

As many of you even I got tricked, perhaps they could want us already when entering China :)..
    Boy and girl talking with English much better than all my Chinese friends, telling me how nice I am etc and inviting me to have a tea, then a giving me some for family, and as the last thing they bring a check EUR 150, well just f.. them, luckily I did not have much cash and even that they intended I said "look you can givem that for free or keep it" so I very unhappily paid EUR 30 for the drunk tea, and was sh*t angly, then they left to do shopping.

I hope that hell will find them in pain..

• Museum Visits

• Tea celebration

by Jsims01 Written Sep 10, 2012

Top tips when approached by Chinese people wanting a photograph.

1st. don't trust them.
    2nd. just tell them you are waiting for a friend.
    3rd. Answer a fake call on your mobile and walk away.
    4th. do not tell them your real name or where you are from and where you are staying.
    5th. never go anywhere with someone you do not know.

Sounds simple, but i have been around and well traveled and i fell for it, if your not bored read the story.

I am staying in China for 3 months on business and quite well traveled. I'm staying in a suburb of Shanghai so after my first week i thought i would go to the center for a bit of sight seeing.

Within 5 mins of entering The Peoples Square 2 girls approached me to take their picture i thought ok. Then they were very talkative which after 5 mins i thought i have had enough of this. they told me they were going to the tea festival and would i like to join them, i said no several times as i was feeling uncomfortable and wanted to see the sites on my own.

After walking around the park another couple approached me boy/girl this time and asked the same thing please take photo i did we were talking for a while and i kick my myself now and they asked if i wanted to go to the tea festival so i thought twice in one day it must be true and excepted.
    My head was telling remember the route and hold your bag while my heart was saying everyone i have met at work are kind and friendly trust them and embrace the culture. Anyway i was screwed out 440 rmb and i refused to buy anything. They kept trying to tag my bag with something they said was a lucky charm but refused as i guess this was a tag to tell the others i had already been conned. BEWARE.

• Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Mittnic's Profile Photo

Watch your step!

by Mittnic Written Aug 26, 2005

Chinese spitt everywhere.. also indoors, so if you are in a restaurant don't put your bag on the floor but on a chair.

no spitting

• simcard's Profile Photo

Shanghai is generally pretty safe.

by simcard Updated Aug 1, 2009

Compared to other places I've been to in China, Shanghai has been the safest city I've ever been to.

• Work Abroad

• abautz's Profile Photo

Traffic!

by abautz Written Feb 18, 2008

Be careful when crossing a street. Cars not always respect the traffic lights.
    At the big cross-ways there where even guards with whistles to watch over the pedestrians.

• SangAji's Profile Photo

fast lane for truckers!!!

by SangAji Written Feb 20, 2005

a usual sight .... overladen trucks

this one on our way to shanghai zoo....

overtaking our taxi van!

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Don't fall off a ship!

by herzog63 Updated Sep 29, 2003

Don't fall of a ship or boat because "Help" may not be understood unless your screaming in Chinese!! You may want to learn how to say "Help" in chinese for some tricky situations!

Ahoy Matey!!
    • Trains

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Pudong Airport

by rabbit06 Updated Oct 31, 2011

Over priced Tsingtao beer at Pudong Airport, make sure you still have some cash before leaving..... 90rmb pints....lol........still didn't stop Rabbit!

very nice! Tsingtao on Tap!
    • Business Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• Flipboy's Profile Photo

Beware...

by Flipboy Updated Jul 10, 2006

...of strange black ninja's trying to take your photograph-tillyaph!

Ningja!!!

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Beware!

by tini58de Updated Nov 5, 2002

just kidding!!!

I saw this sign in the new old town of Shanghai, and thanks to rtideas and tnds I found out, what it means:

"No firecrackers"

Beware!

• Chris_Dahlia's Profile Photo

Never feel ashamed to bargin...

by Chris_Dahlia Written Aug 24, 2002

Never feel ashamed to bargin first before you buy! For example, if you are buying a painting in Chenghuang Temple, try to make it 50yuan if they offer you 300yuan.

• Shanghai China Yu Qing Cha Lou Tea Scam

by Paul_2112 Written Jan 26, 2008

Here are some pictures from a Shanghai China Yu Qing Cha Lou Tea Scam

Bund Girls Shanghai Yu Qing Cha Lou The Tea Shanghai Yu Qing Cha Lou The Bill Shanghai China Yu Qing Cha Lou Tea Scam Shanghai Yu Qing Cha Lou Tea Ripoff Tea Scammers Shanghai China Yu Qing Cha Lou

Instant Answers: Shanghai

• SAMShanghai's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Two tips I would like to second: 1. The laundry tip re SPAwash. They are a great service, everything from personal laundry (and work closely w/hotels and apartment communities for extra convenience) to dry cleaning (high quality plus in an unusual move, they use eco friendly products) and specialty items. They cleaned and repaired a favorite jacket of mine and it looks brand new. You can get laundry done nearly everywhere in Shanghai, but if you bring your expectations from home, you want to contact them. They usually do a 50% off for first timers too, I think. 2. Crosswalks/pedestrians. The signs and zebra crossings give people the idea of right-of-way as they might know elsewhere. Do not make that assumption. You may also be startled when a motorized scooter honks at you from behind on the sidewalk to get out of its way.

• mariabjorkgard's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Hi! I live in China and went to Shanghai this weekend. I went clubbing with my friends and we went to McDonalds at around 6am. There were a lot of beggars there and this one woman came up to us and asked for money. We said "mei you" (dont have), but they wouldn't give up. The woman had with her a little child who managed to distract us for a while.

When we went out of McDonalds a bit later I realized they had stolen my phone from my jacket pocket. I am usually very careful with my things and have never lost anything like this before. So be careful! Carry your stuff on the inside of your clothes.

It is also worth saying that the police station could not file a report on the stolen phone (which I needed if I wanted the money for the phone from my travel insurance company) so this makes it even worse.

Shanghai Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Shanghai warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shanghai sightseeing.