Safety Tips in Shanghai Shi

  • Puxi view
    Puxi view
    by JC.Popofu
  • Overhead walkway
    Overhead walkway
    by glendon1
  • very nice!
    very nice!
    by rabbit06

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai Shi

  • Pedestrians Have No Right-of-way in Shanghai

    by kevcham Written Aug 4, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Pedestrians must not assume that a green pedestrian light and a zebra crosswalk mean you have the right-of-way in Shanghai! Cars WILL NOT STOP for pedestrians even when the pedestrian is obeying all laws. Taxi and bus drivers are the worst offenders in this regard. Drivers will plow right through a group of pedestrians. Shanghai residents will just walk out in the road and know that if they don't make eye contact with the driver or let the driver know that they see the car coming - they have a 95% chance of not getting hit. But a 5% chance is not worth taking. Many foreigners are hit and hurt because they assume that drivers will obey the law and stop for them. Remember, 40% of China's drivers have been driving for less than 3 years.

    Don't get mad and hit the car that nearly runs over you. The taxi driver will stop, call the police, and the police will make you pay the driver for any damage. All of the locals who see you exact punishment will take the side of the local driver. You may find yourself surrounded by hostile people - even though they are pedestrians also.

    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Business Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Don't Use Your Chinese Passport to Enter China

    by kevcham Written Aug 4, 2007

    Ethnic Chinese who have dual citizenship in PRC and another country (eg USA, Canada) should know that if they enter China on their PRC passport and then get into trouble with the "law", then China will consider them Chinese citizens and treat them as such. You will not be able to get help from the US or Canadian embassies or consulates because the Chinese Govt will simply tell them you are none of their business - even if you are a citizen of their country also. So pick a country - one that respects your human rights best.

    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • victorwkf's Profile Photo

    Pollution & traffic

    by victorwkf Written Dec 10, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    I think the 2 worst things about Shanghai are the pollution and traffic. On certain days, the air can be quite polluted and hazy. The traffic in Shanghai is a killer, especially during the mornings and evenings when people are commuting to-and-fro work.

    Modern buildings of Shanghai, China

    Was this review helpful?

  • warzx's Profile Photo

    Beware of XINGJIANG kids!!

    by warzx Written Oct 5, 2004

    PLS PLS take care of ur belongings when u are to go into a crowded area. I was at QiPuLu one afternoon close to 6pm, where the stalls are ready to close for the day. It was raining, many pple were rushing across the roads and fighting for cabs, i had my bag opened half way (so careless of me!!). When i ran across the road to get into another building, i felt a strange presence jus next to me, to my horror, I looked down on my bag and saw my bag opened, the little boy who opened my bag fled when he realise i have saw him!! I saw him running to another older boy. They are kids that are trained to pick pockets! pls pls be very careful with such pple. They dun speak chinese, so even if police caught hold of them, there's nothing the police can do except to free them. They are usually accompanied with an adult who will look over them from far. I had my things intact. Nothing was lost, jus got a shock. These kids are very easy to identify. They are usually very tanned.

    Was this review helpful?

  • jessicafeeling's Profile Photo

    Never ever follow those agents!!

    by jessicafeeling Written Jul 28, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    well you will meet dozen geeks who introduce you about those harsh fake stuff--LV PRADA GUCCI or etc in shopping street--HuaiHai Rd Xiang yang Market. attention---do not show u r interested in their stuff, otherwise u will have no chance to leave even u r not satisfied with what they provide! they will lead ur way to a dark alleyway(mostly), or a small store, give u a hell expensive price, not worthy of it at all. plus I hate those stuff, no matter how pretty good and how they could mixed the false with genuine, fake always fake. wonder why it still avaliable, coz of ppl r vain? since not much ppl can handle with those luxury stuff but want to have it, maybe that is why fake stuff are so precreactive!

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • warzx's Profile Photo

    Take care when crossing the Roads!!

    by warzx Written May 8, 2004

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Pls be extra careful when crossing the roads in Shanghai. Cars do not give priority to pedestrains even when the traffic signal say green man. I have asked the taxi drivers, and they told me that it's a very normal practise over there, this is because, most of the taxis think that they shld be given the right of way since they have a passenger in their car. So pls cross quickly and be careful of those cars who doesnt slow down even on green man....

    Related to:
    • Women's Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Shanghai Shi Hotels

See all 1206 Hotels in Shanghai Shi

Top Shanghai Shi Hotels

Shanghai Hotels
3086 Reviews - 8184 Photos
Pudong Hotels
22 Reviews - 34 Photos
Chongming Dao Hotels
2 Reviews - 1 Photo
Changjiang Hotels
See nearby hotels
Zhujiajiao Hotels
24 Reviews - 95 Photos
Zhuanqiao Hotels
See nearby hotels
Xinzhuang Hotels
See nearby hotels
Wujiaochang Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Shanghai Shi

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

110 travelers online now

Comments

Shanghai Shi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Shanghai Shi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shanghai Shi sightseeing.
Map of Shanghai Shi