Datong Local Customs

No more stares...please...
    by Exceptional_World

Most Recent Local Customs in Datong

• Exceptional_World's Profile Photo

Extreme curiosity towards non-Chinese tourists

by Exceptional_World Written Feb 11, 2007

No more stares...please...

Do not be alarmed if when you are walking out of the train station and a bunch of Chinese men start to surround you. They don't say anything, except maybe the occasional, "Taxi" from someone trying to make some money. They just look at you, as if you're the first non-Chinese person they have ever seen. They're just curious, I guess. In conclusion, its harmless gawking, but it feels intrusive if you're not used to it.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

English Corner

by tremendopunto Written May 14, 2005

Omed gets lost in the crowd

Chinese are very eager to learn English. Next to school or college classes the yhave so called English corners where they study by themselves.
    It was my first time in China so I had no clue. When we strawled around in Datong three locals came up to us speaking in English. They asked us if we could help them with their studies. Because we did not know what to do in Datong we thought we could give them a hand and in return they could show us some places to be in Datong. They said there are only some friends studying with them........when we opened the door there were more than 50 people of every age (mostly school kids) already waiting for us! They all jumped at us, circled and bombed us with questions in English...there was no return! Of course you have to mention that Datong is a quite isolated place where not many tourists go, but this was like beeing a Chinese superstar;-) They asked us everything possible and did some little experiments with us. A woman tried to "feed" us with certain stuff, if we would know it and if we liked it....strange!
    It was quite exhausting. Later the school director showed up to take a look at the foreign Aliens. Oh, my god, they are real!!!!
    After all, it was quite intersting and we were invited to some local food afterwards.
    We have also been asked to stay and teach them. Even my objection that I´m not a native English speaker didn´t matter to them. Now I understand why so many laoweis run around in China as English teachers.

Instant Answers: Datong

Comments

Datong Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Datong local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Datong sightseeing.