Lhasa Restaurants

Outdoor balcony
    Yum! Yak Steak!

Most Recent Restaurants in Lhasa

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Bread Talk: Finally! Great chocolate cake in Tibet!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 5, 2013

I have a weakness for chocolate. I'm always on the lookout for a good bakery for desserts. Lhasa has some good bakery's specializing in Tibetan and Chinese pastry. Not known for their chocolate items. I came across Bread Talk. This is a chain style bakery with most of their locations in China and Southeast Asia.

Fine by me, they have a nice selection of items and especially chocolate items!

Favorite Dish: They had a chocolate mousse filled chocolate cake that was incredibly good. Went here several times for this.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Ganglamedo: The food is good and the cat is cool!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 5, 2013

The restaurant is across the street and a few doors down from the Yak Hotel. I've eaten dinner here before and it was very good. This trip I stopped in for lunch. I had the vegetable pizza. It was very good. A little spicy and the pizza dough was more like naan. It's a personal size pie and I was able to eat the whole thing. The wait staff speak enough English for ordering.

They have a really cool white cat that has one blue eye and one yellow eye. Every time I took a bite of pizza, the looked up at me. A few times it ran under the table and hopped up on the seat next to me and watch me eat. I asked my waitress what was the cats' name. Se said they did not name the cat. Too bad, really cute cat.

I would definitely eat here again.

• Religious Travel

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

House of Shambhala: Great place for lunch but lacking for dinner

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 5, 2013

This restaurant is part of the House of Shambhala hotel. It is on the roof top with indoor and outdoor seating. This is a great place to hang out and relax. It is one of the more beautifully decorated hotels and restaurant in Lhasa. The wait staff are great but only one speaks English. When ordering they ask you to tell the waitress the number of the meal. That's great if you don't have questions about the meal.

Lunch is very good. But dinner was not so much. The portions are small. I've had a Yak steak dinner and a chicken dinner and both times the meat seemed to be of a poorer quality. Although it was very tasty it doesn't help if you can't chew through the steak.

It's almost worth a visit to check out their menu. It is the most interesting menu I have ever seen. I actually asked if I could buy one. It tells you more than just what food is available but a little bit of a history lesson as well.

Favorite Dish: King Songtsen Gampo's Mystic Momo. These are a house special. They are very good. They are stuff with spinach and tofu with herbs and topped with a Nepalese curry. The curry is quite spicy. I recommend asking for the curry on the side and then you can use as much as you want.

• Religious Travel

The New Mandala Restaurant: Pretty good food with great views

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 5, 2013

Stopped here for lunch one day. It is located right on Barkhor Square. The restaurant occupies the second floor and has roof top tables. I sat on the roof for pretty good views of Barkhor Square. The second floor has a main indoor dinning area. The place does not look like much from the outside but the second floor is nicely decorated. However the roof top dinning is not that great as far as decor. The wait staff are helpful.

I ordered a Nepali dish, similar to Chicken Marsala called Nepali Chicken Set. So it comes with a variety of foods. it was better than I expected. Don't let the outdoor appearance turn you away.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Snowland Restaurant: If you're going to try Yak meat, try it here!

Yum! Yak Steak!

The Snowland has change location just slightly, next door and upstairs. Beyond that they also redecorated and installed a fountain on the stairs going up. They always had great food. Now the decor matches. The staff are very helpful and a few speak English. The owner will joke that his English is better than his Chinese, lol.

I had my usual Yak Steak. Still served identically as I remember from 6 years ago.

The steak was excellent and the price was incredible at 45 rmb ($7.50usd)!

I decided to go again the next day because it was so good. It was a Sunday and it was very crowded. I order the same thing but it took 45 minutes for the food to come out to the table. I recommend this place but I would avoid Sunday.

Favorite Dish: The Yak Steak dinner. Don't confuse it with the grilled Yak steak that is on the menu. You want the one that has the sauce on the side.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Dunya: One of the best in Lhasa!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 5, 2013

The Dunya restaurant is a great overall experience. From the decor to food and service, Dunya can't be beat. The staff from all my experiences only speak English and Tibetan. All the service staff are Tibetan. The owners I believe are American and German and taught the staff.

Favorite Dish: Any of the curry dishes are great! Not to mention any of the Yak dishes. I highly recommend the Yak Enchiladas. Also, the Momo's are the best in Lhasa (momo is a Tibetan dumpling). Dinner for two with out alcohol will cost under $10US!

The Momo's alone could be a meal, you get 20.

I also recommend the high altitude tea. A very unique taste that I never experienced.

Update 2013: Things have changed here. It is now one of the more expensive places in Lhasa. However, still great food and atmosphere, beautifully decorated. I still highly recommend you check this place out when you visit Lhasa.

• ChioQuiroz's Profile Photo

Makye Ame Restaurant: Tibet has its on Belle Epoque spot

by ChioQuiroz Written Dec 10, 2011

My favorite restaurant in Lhasa. I regret not going back there even only to sit for a second grab a drink and write. I was transported to a cultural era on that restaurant with very delicious Tibetan food. Unfortunately for me Tibetan food tends to be very spicy but even though my favorite dish on my whole trip to Lhasa was in this restaurant.
    Excellent view of the square if you are able to get a good table.
    I was told that the 6th Dalai Lama composed a poem in this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I wish I remember the name but in few words was grilled lamb with cilantro and chili sauce. Yummi!

• Maria81's Profile Photo

Lhasa Kitchen: Excellent Cheese Naan

by Maria81 Written Oct 5, 2011

Lhasa Kitchen was where our guide took us for lunch on day one of our sightseeing in Lhasa. While the place is not fancy by any means, it looked clean and presentable, catering mostly to tourists. As an added bonus, the waiter spoke enough English to understand our orders.

Food was, as with many similar places on Tibet's main tourist route along the Friendship highway, a mix of staple Italian, Tibetan, Chinese, and Indian/Nepali dishes. Soft drinks, tea, coffee, and beer (local Lhasa as well as Budweiser) are also served. My choice was Chicken Tikka and Cheese Naan, with the latter being one of the best things I've tasted on our trip through Tibet.

Service was quick, and prices quite reasonable (30-35RMB being the maximum I can remember).

Favorite Dish: The cheese naan, of course!

• John195123's Profile Photo

The Summit Cafe: Good Coffee

by John195123 Written Nov 10, 2008
    Outside The Summit Cafe

A bit out of place in Lhasa, with laptop internet (I think they have wifi, but they also have three computers you can use and good coffee. Decently healthy food is also available, though they don't have an extensive menu- mostly cold stuff.

One image.

• mavl's Profile Photo

LHASA SNOWLAND RESTAURANT: GOOD FOOD, SERVICE, PRICE

by mavl Updated Jan 25, 2008

warm and cozy place with friendly service.

plus, you get to write your name on the wall! on t-shirts on the wall, that is.

look for tsering, tell her miko from the philippines says hi! (i was there last august, 2006)

• Lhasa Kitchen: If you enjoy waiting, for your food!

by ANorcaltraveler Updated Oct 4, 2007

Dined at this restaurant with a group of friends, twice. The second time for dinner. On this visit, we had arrived just prior to a large tour group (25 people), who had a preselected menu, ordered, in advance of their arrival.

Half of our group, received their orders in a timely manner, the rest of us, sat waiting, while the tour group was served. After an hour of waiting, and not yet having received my meal, I walked out of the restaurant.

If you enjoy waiting, visit the Lhasa Cafe!

Shangrila Restaurant: Food with some culture thrown in

by nattybabe Written Jun 14, 2007

For a little bit of fun and Ok food, head to Shangrila Restaurant where they do a "culture" show every evening. You will need to book to get in as a lot of tour groups come along. It's Y60 and it includes a buffet dinner with 1 drink (beer or soft drink) and the culture show.

The show is certainly nothing to write home about but it will make you laugh and keep you entertained for 30 minutes or so.

The food is Ok with a smallish buffet selection with mainly Chinese and Tibetan dishes. There are plently of options for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. All in all a good evening out!

Dunya Restaurant: Touristy but fun

by nattybabe Written Jun 12, 2007

The Dunya Restaurant is located on Beijing Dong Lu which is a main street and is basically a western restaurant. It is owned by a Dutch couple but still has a strong Tibetan presence.

You are able to get Tibetan food but majority of the menu is western. Prices are above average but I suppose tourists will pay more to have food that they recognise!!

Upstairs is a bar which again is a little more expensive than usual but is lots of fun and has music playing until close at around 1am. May I recommend the landslides.... Yum!!

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Summit Cafe: Real Coffee!!

by nattybabe Written Jun 12, 2007

Whilst in Lhasa you have to visit the Summit Cafe which is in the old quarter right next to the Shang Bala hotel.

You can actually get REAL coffee here (albeit expensive coffee) and sit in a quiet atmosphere with big comfy chairs, internet access and a book exchange. It's the perfect place to unwind after a long day's sightseeing.

Coffee: Approx Y30

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Lhasa Snowland Restaurant: Backpacker haven!

by sugarpuff Updated Oct 2, 2006

There are several backapacker cafes and restaurants dotted around Barkor Street so you wont get hungry. They all have english menus along with Chinese ones and other popular foreign languages. I managed to take note of some of the dishes they had at this place to give you a taster...

It was packed full of people at lunchtime when we went, so I presume it is in the guidebooks by now for all travellers to know about. It was cheap and cheerful. I bought some fantastic postcards for only 2rmb each here, of different people throughout Tibet from different sects...I will put those up here soon too.

Favorite Dish: The menu includes Continental dishes with pastas, steaks and pizza, starting at 18rmb going up to 30 rmb, then soups, salads and snacks ranging from 8rmb to 15rmb.The wonderful curry I had falls under the Indian and Nepali dishes which include all kinds of vegetable and meat curries and of course naan bread. Prices range from 12rmb to 30rmb for the curries. Tibetan dishes are cheaper from 15-25rmb and have such delicious goodies as yak calf (!), tsampa soup and momo (steamed yak dumplings). And finally the Chinese dishes have all the usual fare with desserts to follow which sound mouth watering..banana fritters, lemon cheesecake etc...

I had the chicken tikka and eventhough it was by far the best that I had had on the trip it was a little watery...no cream had been put in the sauce...unlike all the curries I get at restaurants in Beijing and abroad. But maybe Im better off this way, afterall, it would probably have been yak cream and tasted foul!!!

Instant Answers: Lhasa

Comments

Lhasa Restaurants

blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Lhasa has some nice restaurants to eat and relax while to adjust to the altitude.  Dunya is great from mingling with other tourist and hanging out on the deck watching the people pass by...