Tingri Travel Guide

• Restaurants

Tingri Things to Do

• budapest8's Profile Photo

by budapest8 Written Oct 7, 2008

Early morning start driving to Rongbuk via Shegar.
    The road is a bit rough, on the way you will cross over
    Gyatsola Pass at 5,220 m, which is the highest enroute.
    Rongbuk is the highest monastery in Tibet, still a good point
    to see Mt.Everst. Afternoon start trekking from Rongbuk to E.B.C ,
    it takes about 2 hours. Or you can take animal carriage ( 30rmb/per person).
    Overynight at E.B.C tent Guesthouse.(dorm beds).
    The entrance fee of Mt. Everest Base Camp is
    180rmb/per person.
    Then Entry fee of the Landcruiser to E.B.C. is 405rmb.
    If the weather is quite there ,you will have a chance to see the sunset.

A nice mountain

Tingri Hotels

Tingri Restaurants

by blueskyjohn Updated Jun 22, 2013

Tashi Restaurant is where I had breakfast, which was included with my stay at the hotel in Tingri. I'm not sure if this restaurant is part of the hotel or if they have something worked out work them. By far this is the cleanest restaurant in town. I'm not sure why I didn't go in here for dinner. I checked out most of the others in search of dinner the night before. A very open and bright space.

Favorite Dish: I had a typical breakfast with eggs and some ham. Nothing special but it was good. I would definitely check this place for dinner if I return.

by blueskyjohn Updated Jun 20, 2013

I stopped in every restaurant in Tingri before selecting this one. The only reason I chose this restaurant was because the owner/chef was not smoking. Seemed to be less flies than the other places. All the restaurants look pretty much the same. Nicely painted ceiling in a Tibetan style but the rest is a mess.

Favorite Dish: I ordered pork with red peppers. It was more like ordering red peppers with pork. The meaning I would take from the first is that there should be more pork then peppers. Just look at the picture. It wasn't bad and best part I didn't get sick!

• RachaelClare's Profile Photo

by RachaelClare Written Dec 9, 2004

This is a great surprise in the small town of Tingri. There is a menu outside with pictures of the various foods they serve. Once inside we found the staff to be very friendly. The atmosphere was nice however due to the unreliable nature of the electricty in Tingri it was a tad to dark to play cards all night.

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately many of the items on the menu were not available. In the end we all ordered Yak Sizzlers and to our delight they were the tastiest we had eaten. Throughout our trek we all fantasised about returning to Tingri and experiencing the taste sensation again!

meeting locals in tingri

Tingri Shopping

by blueskyjohn Updated Jun 20, 2013

Well what makes this so special is that is the only shop in town. Of that means it is expensive. Plan on paying double what you would pay in Shigatse. I base cost on what I pay for a snickers bar. 5rmb in Shigatse. At Thing Ri it was 10rmb.

• RachaelClare's Profile Photo

by RachaelClare Written Dec 9, 2004

Not much of interest to be bought in Tingri however you can pick up a fresh carcass on the street and the salesman will even pose nicely for you!

• Tingri Hotels

1 Hotels in Tingri

Instant Answers: Tingri

Comments

Tingri Travel Guide
Map of Tingri