Kashgar Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Kashgar

• John195123's Profile Photo

Dressing With Respect

by John195123 Written Aug 2, 2008

Kashgar is a Muslim city, to a large extent, but I cannot tell you the number of foreigners who I see walking around Mosques and other religious sites in the wrong clothes. Even around town, women shouldn't wear tank tops, even if the local Chinese do. (The Chinese have very little respect for the culture or the religious nature of the people in this region, it seems, and it's not uncommon to see a Chinese girl in a short skirt or skimpy shirt. Some of them live here, some of them are visiting... there are many stories and vastly differing ideas about the Hans in this region... I'll explain later. But for now, even the guidebooks say to dress conservatively, so no one can plead ignorance. There's no real law against harassment, either, so that's another reason to comply.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with the religious laws that say women must be covered, it is part of their religion and their custom and so should be followed by us when we're in their land.

It's hot. Bloody hot, even. I'm currently wearing shorts (August 1, 2008) but I'm a male. Even for me it's not the best idea. But in a Mosque, I'll be fully covered out of respect. Walking around today, I had long sleeves and long pants on. When in Rome...

• Women's Travel

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Veils

by nepalgoods Updated Aug 11, 2007

IN many Muslim countries women use to wear veils to cover their hair or even their face. Sometimes I have th eimpression this custom becomes more popular with Muslimas in Germany. But in Kashgar I found, that less and less women are wearing veils. Compared with 1992 you won't see that many women with veils in Kashgar.
    I cannot imagine that any woman likes to wear this ugly brown veil, which is popular in Kashgar.

• Women's Travel

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Mosques

by nepalgoods Written Aug 10, 2007

Xinjiang is a mainly Muslim Province in China. Specially in Kashgar I saw many lively mosques. Men are going for prayer into the small neighborhood mosques. And sometime you can hear the faint sound of the muezzin calling people for prayer.

Before you enter a mosque, you should take off your shoes!

• Wanderboy43's Profile Photo

Internet is censored!!!

by Wanderboy43 Updated Nov 12, 2003

Well, I guess this is not just in Kashgar, but around China.
    Sites like Google, Hotmail, VirtualTourist, and Yahoo! email are fine. But, it's annoying that my external Geocities (part of Yahoo!) is blocked. I could update it using FTP, but it's just a pain. I don't know how they determine what is blocked or monitored, but lots of sites are just blocked.
    China is just messed up in this way.

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo

Beautiful Bread

by aukjejetty Written Apr 21, 2003

Uyger Bread

The Uyghers make a true piece of art when they make their bread. They decorate it before it goes into the salted oven. They bake it by sticking it against the salty wall. It is great bread, try to get it fresh when it is still warm!

• mirage88's Profile Photo

The Uyghur Ethnic Group

by mirage88 Written Mar 29, 2003

My trip to Kashgar represented the second time I visited a majority Muslim city. The local people were amazingly friendly and vibrant. Unfortuntely, the Chinese government has been ruling XinJiang province with a iron fist. Shortly before my trip the Chinese military staged large scale training demonstrations in an attempt to scare local muslim separatist groups.

I'm unaware what the current political situation is, but there is palatable tension between the Han Chinese and the Uyghur.

Instant Answers: Kashgar

Comments

Kashgar Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Kashgar local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kashgar sightseeing.