Kashgar Restaurants

• henri123's Profile Photo

CHINESE RESTAURANT: BRITISH CONSULATE , HISTORICAL PLACE

by henri123 Updated Nov 4, 2013
    FORMER BRITISH CONSULATE

Nothing about the local uygur food; a typical chinese restaurant.

This consulate opened in 1890 at only one kilometer of the russian consulate.

Only imagine the british and russian spy playing the Big Game before indian independance.

At that time, the area was not so rich, China was not very active, Turkestan could have been another central asian independant country !

Favorite Dish: Vegetable food

• Architecture

• The Gallery Cafe Kashgar: new cafe in town

by sarahroth Written Jun 3, 2010

New cafe that is conveniently located in the middle of town. About a 10 minute walk from Idkah Mosque. They have friendly staff, good coffee and delicious pizza! I found that they had very fresh surroundings. They even have oil paintings from local artists for sale. They also had tourist information if I wanted to book a trip through them (but I already had my plans set). They are also cheaper than the other western restaurants in Kashgar, but the food is great.

Favorite Dish: The pizza is so good the crust is delicious. They also have great cheese cake and other desserts.

--: Street Food

by John195123 Written Aug 2, 2008

The streets are where life happens, and here the food is hot, fresh and greasy. Kebabs come with skewers of meat and fat; samsa and sambursa (dough filled with meat, onions and sometimes other ingredients and cooked in the tandoori ovens) are excellent, but try, with all food, to go to a place that either has a lot of people (high turnover of food) or doesn't have huge piles of cooked food sitting out. Langman (langmen/laghman) are long, pulled noodles with vegetables, often eggplant (aubergine) and peppers, onions... so good. There is other food, but be prepared for unapologetic greasiness. Eat and enjoy!

Cold tea is also quite nice, but they serve hot tea at most restaurants. Usually it seems boiled, and hopefully it's hot enough to kill whatever lurks in the tea bowl...

I might suggest getting Hepatitis A and B before eating here in China... lots of poorly washed plates and chopsticks and lots of unwashed hands after using the bathrooms... I'm amazed, by the way, that China hasn't had a massive plague or something... human immune systems must be stronger than we think...

• Luxury Travel

John's Information Cafe: Misinformation

by John195123 Updated Aug 2, 2008

While there's western food and nice places to sit, I have, thus far, been fairly disappointed with the information or quality or availability of information at John's Information Cafe's wherever I've been to them in China. It's a great idea, but poor execution. The food's okay, they have beer and all that, internet and offer a comfortable place to hide from the locals, I suppose, but I don't suggest looking for too much more from them.

Update... I went back to John's, wanting to use the internet. The woman who runs the joint said they were closed, and I should come tomorrow morning, but how long did I need? 20 minutes. No, come back tomorrow morning. She wasn't supposed to close for another 45 minutes. But she said no one was there, so she closed early. Two people sat at a table, I was there to use the computer, she was going to be there for at least 20 minutes more. All she had to do was give me 20 minutes. This is a simple service... and she's there to serve me, the visitor and guest. But she couldn't give me 20 minutes. The next morning we had to leave early, so I couldn't go then.

I knocked two chairs over on the way out. Didn't hurt anything. And she started yelling, cussing at me (kind of funny, actually). I admit it was childish on my part, but I've been dealing with this sort of rigidiocy (new word!) in China for eleven months. It's more money for her, it's a happy customer, a good review... but no. So we yelled, she in good, customer service fashion (cussing and all- I didn't cuss at her) and I stopped yelling and tried to explain my side of things. Apparently she "has no use for [me]" and doesn't understand customer service, closing time and in short, I really can't recommend John's. She, like a lot of my female students, seems incapable of reason and would prefer pouting to get her way.

Fubar, outside the hotel, has better food and staff. The Business Center in the main lobby has more and better computers. The staff at John's isn't helful or very friendly- and their attitude is just wrong. So, if you have the opportunity to visit Kashgar and stay at the Chini Bagh hotel, I suggest the food, atmosphere and wide selection of beer and other drinks at Fubar or the various other sources for internet at the Business Center or in the British Consulate building. John's is easier, possibly, and maybe she had a bad day that day. But there are better places to go.

Pakistan Restaurant: Ripoff

by John195123 Written Jul 29, 2008

Dirty and grubby, the flies are one of the biggest problems... I know many people have probably eaten here and been just fine... for us, we ordered two dishes and an order of chapati. We got three of one dish, two of another and five pieces of chapati. Then we ordered two teas and got three. We didn't know how they served dishes, but they brought the other chapati without our asking for it, so it seems like they were trying to rip us off... the dishes, we thought, were divided for us to share, especially since the servings were small... but they charged us for all of them. We should have just paid for what we ordered, but alas, we didn't. Why would we order three of one dish and two of another for three people?

I don't know, but I cannot recommend the place. Dirty and grubby is about par for China and isn't so much a problem for me. Ripping people off seems to be so endemic that it's more fitting for this situation.

Oh, they have an English menu, subpar tea and good chapati, so I hear. I didn't eat anything as I wasn't feeling well.

Fubar: Western Haven

by John195123 Written Jul 29, 2008

Just opened on July 28, 2008, and replacing the Caravan Cafe, which went out of business about a year ago, apparently, the Fubar is well worth a visit, for good tacos, hamburgers, or even fish and chips, as well as Stella Artois and other beer not commonly found here in China, this is the place. John's Information Cafe at the Seman or the Chini Baugh don't quite have it- I'm disappointed with the John's Information Cafes... Anyway, Fubar is run, it seems, by an Irish man who is quite helpful and a possible source of good information, especially once he gets a bigger foothold on the area. Fubar is located just outside of the Chini Baugh Hotel, to the left as you exit the grounds, though the sign is a bit hard to see now. Highly recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Fish and chips and tacos were quite good, especially being thousands of clicks from the Ocean and Mexico...

• SallyM's Profile Photo

John's Information Cafe: Travel arrangements while you eat

by SallyM Updated Aug 4, 2007

This branch of John's Information Cafe is based at the QiniBak hotel. There are other branches (i.e. at the Seman Hotel in Kashgar, in Dunhuang, Turpan and Lhasa).

It provides both Western and Chinese food, and makes travel arrangments and arranges tours. There is also a noticeboard where people looking for others to make up a group for a particular trip can leave messages.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the sweet and sour beef, but be warned that it arrives very hot (in temperature, not flavour). Vegetarians might wish to take note that the mixed stir-fried vegetables contained some chicken.

They also serve delicious peach juice.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Orda: Uighur Music

by SallyM Updated Jul 31, 2007

Uighur musicians perform at Orda

This restaurant is in a rather grand building. The decor looks slightly less classy however when you discover that the glass column next to your seat lights up.

Uighur musicians perform while you eat, and the food is prepared in an open kitchen in the centre.

Favorite Dish: We had noodles with beef and green beans, shashlik and melon.

• uygurguide's Profile Photo

Orda pola ,Orda Pilauf Restaurant: Orda pola ,Orda Pilauf Restaurant is best in town

by uygurguide Written Sep 8, 2006

it is the best Restaurant in town which serve you the veriouse kind of Uygur dishes ,and Uygur musicans perform the local Musics of Uygur people.

Favorite Dish: (food) Uygur food has long history and various kinds. Uygur people like to eat beef and mutton . because they believe Islam, The special food like Kabob, grilled whole sheep, Nan, thin-skin stuffed bun, sanzi(oil fried wheaten food)and laman (noodles) has unique flavor and rich nutrition.
    this Restaurant serve various kind of dishes of uygur people .

• Madmaxola's Profile Photo

Street food: Street restaurants

by Madmaxola Written Feb 23, 2004

Tasty, and free tea!

You can get all kinds of food on the street around Kashgar, like bagel-like bread, "nan" bread, soup, yogurt, barbeque, and more. Just try out something you like. It's also good for a break from bazaar shopping.

Favorite Dish: Try some yogurt while you're in town.

• Madmaxola's Profile Photo

Idkazar restaurant: An excellent restaurant

by Madmaxola Written Feb 14, 2004

Front door

This is one of the best Uighur restaurants in town. Very affordable yet the restauran is immaculately clean (in china!) and it's also a very beautiful and relaxing place to sit.

Go and even if you just order a bowl of rice (4 yuan) it will come with meat and peppers and is excellent. You have to try the yoghurt, the best I've tasted anywhere- homemade. Just mix in some sugar.

• swesn's Profile Photo

KASHGAR : SHISH KEBABS

by swesn Written Dec 4, 2003
    Barbecuing the delicious shisk-kebabs

Shish-kebabs are a staple food among the Muslims. Those found in Dunhuang, Xining, Turpan are generally thin ones.

But those in KASHGAR are 1-inch-thick and 3 or 4 inches-long. They are DELICIOUS.

Be careful, those UNUSUALLY CHEAPER kebabs are probably pieces of the liver, heart and various innards. Er... not so recommended.

To be able to stomach them without feeling too queasy, drink the local Uyghur tea with the shish kebabs.

Also, you can order a bowl of LA MIAN (noodles) and remove the kebabs into the noodles and mix them up together.

• Wanderboy43's Profile Photo

Whatever: Is it McDonalds or ?

by Wanderboy43 Written Nov 16, 2003

The Golden Arch!

This is a knockoff of McDonalds. The funny thing is it's nice inside. I had a popcorn chicken that was spicy; much better than McDonalds!
    It doesn't compare with the great Chinese food around town however

• dipendra's Profile Photo

Ar Le Ma customs yard: local food

by dipendra Written Nov 20, 2004

I went there twice during our short stay at Khashar.

Favorite Dish: all kinds of local food. and there is dancing show at night.

• o00o's Profile Photo

muslim food at silk road

by o00o Written Dec 9, 2002

the most common food you could find is Xinga Jiang Ching Zhern - Xinjiang local Muslim food. Mainly on chicken, mutton, beef.

Instant Answers: Kashgar

Comments

Kashgar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kashgar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kashgar sightseeing.