Korla Favorites

Think about. . .
    Carrying the flag

Most Recent Favorites in Korla

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

The red flag is still there and kids cannot escape

by kokoryko Updated Apr 7, 2007

Future red citizens ?

Favorite thing: The red flag is still there and kids cannot escape “red education”

Walking in the streets at noon makes discover things I would not have seen if aving unch in a restaurant; one day (which special day, I wanted to check, but I forget to ask my Chinese counterparts), there were small groups of children, dressed in a festive or “official” way, and it was fun to watch them in the streets, going to a theatre near the great central square. Of course, the red flag with stars is there, with one group, other groups, if they do not have the flag wear nice red caps which do not leave space for questions. Other groups also, may be less political correct; notice they seem all to be ethnic Chinese, but I may be misleaded by my preconceived ideas about colonialism, political education of the crowds, etc. . . .
    Main picture: The schoolchildren are disguised, the girls have make-up, and they are ready for some commemoration, fete, I do not know; . . .
    Picture 2: All these kids look very serious, and particularly the one who has the honour to carry the flag!
    Picture 3: Ooops an undisciplined troop here; these girls are not as serious as the colleagues we have seen before.
    Picture 4: Blue school again
    Picture 5: Is she already trying to concentrate, may be the kids will perform, sing something. . . .

• Business Travel

Public Playground

by l_joo Updated May 4, 2005

Favorite thing: Here I saw a new modern Public Playground nearby the river in Korla city centre, though I don't know exactly its purpose but quite sure its for public to hang around kind of place. The architecture has some Disneyland feels on its rooftop, that's why I called it Public Playground.

Gigantic Peacock

by l_joo Updated May 3, 2005

Favorite thing: I saw this Gigantic Peacock somewhere nearby the river on a beautiful men made garden with many artistic looking objects together. Gigantic Peacock was made of flowers, quite some hard works to build such a thing.

High rise buildings

by l_joo Updated May 3, 2005

Favorite thing: Too many high rise buildings around here, this is only one of them, I don't know how to portray big city like this, just simply pick one to upload here, please don't ask me what that was for, could be the telephone thing?

Bazaar street

by l_joo Updated May 3, 2005

Favorite thing: This is probably the Bazaar street I saw in Korla, located in the centre of city, easy for beginners and me. Local buses are easy enough to take, I just hope on as if I was a regular without asking a question, and then I was sent here.

City scene

by l_joo Updated May 3, 2005

Favorite thing: I think nowadays if you go to any cities of China, you will not be supriseb to see it like this, I meant the look of modern big city. Korla is just one of them, except that there were so many Uyghur peoples and they are Muslims.

City scene

by l_joo Updated May 3, 2005

Favorite thing: I was still in desbelieve when I think about Korla to be a big city like this, I thought the place should be something like the dry desert where peoples wrapping their heads with big cloths and caravans etc. Now that Korla is something like Singapore in my first impression, just couldn't believe its true.

Nai Kerc

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: The Chinese pronounced this as Nai-Kerc in mandarin. In most cities of China, I saw this brand, probably too good selling or too bad, I probably didn't see many peoples wearing it, the price is terribly expensive if compare to local made brands.

Need IT products

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: Do not under estimate Korla, look at the size of the IT mall, I was in disbelief when I saw this, can't imagine a place remote in western China has a big shopping mall selling only IT products. If you need anything, just stop by here.

Steel work

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: In the city centre, there are always a something eye catching on display, this time I saw a big steel work in banana shape, I don't understand the meaning but from mere outlook, its a banana. Probably banana has some traditional influence in Korla.

City swimming

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: In the city centre, there's a big river, there you can see many kids swimming, boys mostly. Some boys completely naked, they just enjoy the cold water, they jump in and climb up and jump in, repeatedly. Probably one of the main activities of Korlan tradition.

Best food burger

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: Here is a restaurant trying to look McD. I went in for a look but don't feel the desire to eat, probably too expensive to eat Korlan Burgers with yuan 10 each. I refer to eat rice or Uyghur bread kind of foods.

My lunch

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: Here is my lunch in a stainless steel lunch plate, it cost about 4 yuan only, taste delicious, very delicious, soup is free. This lunch is at the most crowded place in city centre, couldn't recall the name, but it was the place recommended by my hotel owner, he said the place is the place everybody must go for shopping. I went and I saw really a good place and full of peoples with modern high rise buildings surrounded.

High speed development

by l_joo Updated Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: The city is obviously in extreme high speed development, the picture says all. I came here by bus, on the way, I saw mostly rural areas and Uyghurs in traditional costumes, they are Muslims. Then suddenly when the bus drove into Korla, it changed to modern urbanisation with all the high rise buildings, all these I believe is done in less than 20 years, because it look so new. In the city, if you look up far, you can see the magnificent mountain chain of Tian Shan.

City architecture

by l_joo Updated May 4, 2005

Favorite thing: You probably don't want to know this, but since you are here, you must look because this is what you can see in Korla city centre, its this way, you can call this modern China or anything.

Instant Answers: Korla

Comments

Korla Favorites

Reviews and photos of Korla favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Korla sightseeing.