Korla Restaurants

Small houses in the orchard
    Dishes
    by kokoryko
    This one, I could not. . . .

Most Recent Restaurants in Korla

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Bodun Restaurant: Central Asian food forever !

by kokoryko Written Apr 7, 2007

According to my Chinese colleagues it is one of the most famous restaurants in Korla; it is a muslim restaurant and you have to forget about wine or beer; without exaggeration the food is wonderful, and as you can see, the restaurant was crowded when I was there, demonstrating a bit the fact that when a restaurant is full of people, the food is very probably good.
    I had typical central Asian food including a wonderful plov as main course: plov is a fried rice (sometimes another cereal, like bulgur or hard wheat) dish with few vegetables (always carrots), flavoured with many spices (not hot spices usually) and braised mutton meat.
    Simple salads as starters and milk based sweets as deserts,. . . . . . . Ah, . . . . . . I was back in Uzbekistan (I just decided to write about my travel in Uzbekistan, finally, it will take some time, but it will come. . . . ).
    The general ambience (at noon) was very good, it was very busy, and everything was good; my Chinese colleagues knew it only from hearing about, (It was me who expressed the wish to have lunch in a Uygur restaurant), and they told me they liked it a lot and will go back there (Chinese are very polite. . . . . !). You see on the pictures that there are mainly Chinese among the customers in the lower room; the picture was taken from a mezzanine, and the general layout, if a bit kitschy, is nice and I felt well in this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The plov, of course, with the wonderful mutton meat.

Main picture: Main entrance of Bodun; the smoke on the right side comes from the barbecue where the mutton is so well prepared.
    Picture 2:The shashliks (ah, the kebab, they do not know the word shashlik here) are prepared with care, and the is a big plate full of sliced onion.
    Picture 3: View on the main room from the mezzanine where I had lunch.
    Picture 4: location map of this wonderful restaurant.

Barbecue smoke Preparing the shashliks (oops, kebabs, here!) The main room at Bodun Location map

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Ah, I do not remember, but will show you where!: Chinese fondue

by kokoryko Written Apr 7, 2007

Stupid me, I forgot to take an outside picture of the restaurant, and forgot the name; it was to tell about Chinese Fondue, which I discovered in Korla (like so many other things I discovered during my stay here).
    I knew the Savoyarde, the Burgundy and other varieties of fondue, now I know a new one. A big container in the centre of the table with two concentric compartments, one containing boiling water (the compartments are heated constantly with a gas heater located below, hidden under the table) with few spices and another compartment with boiling water and a bit oil and red pepper as if only this spice was available.
    Then the waiters bring fish, meat, vegetables, mushrooms, etc. . . and you drip what you want in the compartment you want; it is a good sport to recover the meat or fish pieces with your sticks in the boiling water. . . . As it is raw food in boiling water, I recommend the spicy compartment (even it is a very spicy one); it was quite fun to eat there, but honestly, I was not impressed by the food. . . .
    This fondue restaurant is located exactly (grrr, why did I not notice the name, but in China, you forget to take notice, as you (well, me!!) do not read anyway!) opposite the street coming from the North-Eastern side of the square place, going south east; the street form a T and the restaurant is on top of the T; it is located on the first floor of a 2 storey building having a muslim restaurant at the basement.

Favorite Dish: The fun was fondue eating with the colleagues, laughing at the persons who lost their food in the big pan

Main picture: this is the fondue, with the special platter and its two compartments; the outer compartment is red, it is chilli pepper!
    Picture 2: Some of the food you can dunk; you need good skills with the sticks to recover the food afer it cooked .
    Picture 3: a close look at the food.
    Picture 4: a Google Earth picture showing where the restaurant is located, as I did not notice the name.

The fondue container Overview of the table at the beginning of dinner some of the food  you did in the boiling soup Restaurant location map

Green Apple restaurant: Dinner in the midst of the orchards

by kokoryko Written Apr 7, 2007

My Chinese colleagues insisted we have a dinner in that restaurant (Qing Gua or Green Apple) located a bit outside Korla in the middle of the fruit trees orchards. They even organised a sort of a special event with singers/dancers (from the restaurant) welcoming the host, and, well, I was a bit moved, this was not as cold and formal as the official reception with all the toasts, etc. . . .
    The restaurant is composed of a number of small houses or shelters dispersed in the orchard and we had dinner in one small house.
    This is a typical Chinese restaurant with circular tables where the food plates are put on a turning plateau and the guests pick their food from the plate and if they want to change, they turn the plateau till they have the food they want. Many sorts of food was on display on the table, and I can barely name one individually, and I avoided some of them which looked a bit too. . . . . (hard?) to me! I was not in the mood to eat a cocks crete or legs! But there was other food and the cakes at desert were very sweet and nice.

Favorite Dish: I liked a lot the rice here, other dishes were too. . . . chinese for me !

Main picture: Small houses dispersed in the orchard
    Picture 2: Food on the turning plate
    Picture 3: This one was too difficult for me to eat; I had to turn the turning plate when it came opposite of me. . . .
    Picture 4: Singing for the foreign visitor.
    Picture 5: Handing over a “hada” (a white silk scarf) to the foreigner. A change from my usual keffieh in winter.

Small houses in the orchard Dishes This one, I could not. . . . Singers. Handing over the silk scarf

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Nice little breakfast: Nice little breakfast

by l_joo Written Apr 1, 2005

I can't imagine I can eat total 4 bowls of this delicious red bean mixed porridge. The restaurant is the one with so many peoples waiting outside in early morning, probably too delicious, peoples come early to wait there. Located not far from the railway station and also many breakfast shops, this is simple and nice, I ate 2 bowls, 4 tea-eggs and some buns, total cost less than 10 yuan, unbelievable and unbelievably delicious. If I have a reason to go back, it must be this.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Try some snacks: Try some snacks

by l_joo Written Apr 1, 2005

In Korla, if you have time, please go to buy some donkey or dog meats, they are packed in this picture, though I haven't yet try, but probably any of you need some.

Instant Answers: Korla

Comments

Korla Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Korla restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Korla sightseeing.