These three wells are located near the main market at the southern end of the old town, near the Mu Mansion. One well is for drinking water, one for washing vegetables and the other for washing clothes.
This small bridge is located just outside the main entrance of the Mu Mansion. It was built by the Mu chieftains in the Ming Dynasty. It is 3 meters long and 9.6 meters wide with moats flowing north, south and east. It is so named as it's meant to resemble a saddle.
The Mu Mansion is where the Mu Clan of the Naxi people ruled for over 470 years. During their reign, this residence was the centre of politics, power and wealth in ancient Naxi. Although it is simply a residence, it holds the majestic essence of a palace. In the heyday of the Mu, the residence covered an area of over 100 mu (about 16 acres) and consisted of almost one hundred buildings. It could be said that it was a miniature Forbidden City. Unfortunately during warfare in the Qing Dynasty most of the residence was destroyed. The present day Mu's Residence was rebuilt from 1996-1999. The reconstruction is based on the original site and captures the magnificent image of what life was like at this great palace.
Mu's Residence today covers an area of 46 mu (about 8 acres) and spans a length of 369 meters (about 404 yards). It sits against the Shizi Mountain (Lion Mountain) and faces east in the direction of sunrise. The residence is made up of two areas: the office area and the living area. Upon entering the gate, one can see Yishi Hall (Meeting Hall) at the end of a vast square. This is the beginning of the office area. Behind the Yishi Hall, there is the Wanjuan Pavilion, 'wanjuan' meaning numerous books. The pavilion houses thousands of sutras and many paintings and calligraphy works of famous scholars. Behind the Wanjuan Pavilion, lies Hufa Hall, the place of sacrificial activities. These main buildings all lie on an axis to the residence. Shizi Mountain can be reached from the rear of the residence.
Open: 8.30am-5.30pm. Admission: Y35.
These are the views from the top of the Wangu Tower on Sleeping Lion Mountain which is really just a small hill to the west of the old town. Here you get great views of the old town including the nearby Mu Family Mansion plus those of the new town that encircles the old town. The best view lies to the north which is that of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
This modern tower, built in 1997, is located on the top of Sleeping Lion Mountain which lies to the west of the old town. It was named after the Naxi word "Wengu" which means "on the hill". It offers great views of the old town plus the new town but, better still, that of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
This excellent museum is located in the Black Dragon Pool Park to the north of the old town. It features many cultural and ethnic displays on the local Naxi people. Exhibits include pottery, costumes, musical instruments furniture, books and manuscripts that show their language through an extraordinary system of pictographs - the only hieroglyphic language still in use.
Open: 8:30am - 5:30pm. Admission: Y30.
This pavilion is also named Payun Pavilion and was originally built at the Fuguo Temple 30km to the west in 1601 as a villa and family temple of the Mu chieftain. The pavilion was so called for the eave angles which are said to be in the form of five flying phoenixes.
This is the main structure in the pool park and the most famous. It was built in the 2nd year of Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty (1737) and was given the title of "Dragon God" in the 15th year of Emperor Guangxu in 1889. It features a courtyard with five yards, a gateway, rooms and a hall. A tablet with the words "Yushui Dragon Palace" is hung over the hall and the words "Sky Light and Cloud Shadow" is hung over the gateway.
First built in the 2nd year of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty (1876), this pavilion was rebuilt following a fire in 1950. It is a triple-eaved building with a four meter high octagonal base and is some 20 meters high overall. Take time out and sit and just look out over the lake to the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
This pavilion was built in the Wanli period of the Ming Dynasty (1573-1619) and then rebuilt in the Qianlong period of the Qing Dynasty. It used to be the library of the former magistrate of the Lijiang prefecture. The weight of the double-eaved roof is borne by brackets. The partition doors and windows are carved with flowers, birds of the four seasons and the pattern of good luck.
This used to be the former gateway of Fuguo Temple which is located 30km to the west. It was built in the Wanli period of the Ming Dynasty (1573-1619) and is a double-eaved building with five rooms in width and three rooms in depth.
This corridor bridge was built in the 3rd year of Emperor Guangxu (1887). There are three cascades under the bridge with clean water rushing out towards the Old Town, thus the bridge is called Green Bridge.
This pavilion in the lake was built in the middle of the Qing Dynasty and was moved here from the Guangbi Pavilion of the Mu Mansion in the Old Town. Legend goes that the construction of the pavilion is attributed to a Naxi granny's collection of a donation. When she collected the donation, she took only one penny once which is how it was named.
This is the main entrance gate into the Black Dragon Pool Park. It was built in 1890 and was the former gateway of the Confucian temple. Screen walls stand on the two front sides with four stone lions of the Ming Dynasty facing ahead. Over the gateway are hung the three characters "Black Dragon Pool" written by Li Qunjie, the director of Yunnan Provincial Association of Calligraphists.
This is an absolute most see thing to do whilst in Lijiang. If you walk north from the old town you'll come to this beautiful lake park with some lovely pavilions and bridges that shouts CHINA at you. I went on a lovely, clear, sunny day where I could see the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in the distance and took some stunning photos of it and of the lake park which can be seen in my travelogues.
The lake park was built in 1737 and covers an area of 40 hectares (over 430,000 sqft). Because Emperor Qianlong bestowed it the name of Jade spring Dragon God, it used to be called The Temple of Jade - spring Dragon God. Afterwards, emperors Jiaqing and Guangxu gave it the title Dragon God and it was then renamed Black Dragon Pool. Every March, when the weather is delightful, the local community gathers at the Dragon God Temple to pray and seek blessing. The emerald spring waters are famous for their curative powers, whether for stomach troubles or to enhance your complexion.
Open: 8am-7pm. Admission: no entrance fee, but you have to show your receipt of the Old Town preservation, which costs Y80.