Zhongdian Favorites

daily life

Most Recent Favorites in Zhongdian

Where is Shangri-La?

by vigi Updated Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: "Where is Shangri-La?" This is a popular question when travelling in ZhongDian. Actually, Shangri-La is the new name of ZhongDian, it refers to the whole ZhongDian area, some even included Lijiang. In order the promote the tourism in this area, they put up a big "Shangri-La" sign here facing this meadow near to the Monastery.

Back Street Goats

by vigi Updated Oct 15, 2003

Fondest memory: I walked into this local village, a road down the Monastery. These buildings all very original, they were built by clay, cemat and wood in Tibetan style. These 2 goats were following me all they way, like a security. I turned left, they turned left, I walked right, they walked right. When I speed-up, they'll run, and slowed down when I did. Funny enough, maybe they thought they were security dogs?

Yak! Yak!

by vigi Written Oct 15, 2003

Fondest memory: Yak!!! I almost shouted out loud when I see these yaks eating grass in a meadow! I never get so close to a yak before (except the one in Lijiang which I paid to ride on, catered for tourist). I could not help staring at him, walking closer and closer with my camera. This yak seems like staring at me in a strange way too, perhaps he is thinking "what is this idiot doing? I am having my lunch you know?!!!"

Blend in the Nature

by vigi Updated Oct 15, 2003

Fondest memory: Instead of taking a bus back to my guesthouse, I took a walk to the hill & meadows opposite the Monastery, tried to blend in with the nature. I saw these tall & empty wooden sticks in Lijiang, and was wondering what they are for, now I know... they are for drying grasses, you can see them everywhere here in ZhongDian.

Ethnic Minority Sheep

by vigi Written Oct 15, 2003

Fondest memory: I picture this little sheep outside the Monastery. She is wearing a lovely furry hat, quietly posting in front of me. As soon as I pick up my camera, a boy shouted across the road asking for money. He claimed that this sheep belongs to his family, that I should give him money as compensation for taking the "soul" of this sheep.

Monks everywhere...

by vigi Updated Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: The best time to visit the Monastery is in the morning, where you can see little monks having their lessons. By noon, many of them will come out to the "playground" for their "recess". My camera did not have a chance to rest! In this photo, this monk is cusriously watching some art students doing their paintings of the Monastery.

It's SO... Tibetan!

by vigi Updated Oct 14, 2003

Fondest memory: Settled down & shower, I took a short walk around ZhongDian city. It's a small city which you can finish by foot, well, with a bicycle will be definately better but too bad I don't know how to ride a bike! Although ZhongDian is belongs to Yunnan Province, but everything here is so Tibetan. At this round-about, words are written in Tibetan. I just love this Tibetan touch, as if I was in Tibet where is still on my travel wish list.

Scenery Along the Road

by vigi Written Oct 14, 2003

Favorite thing: Besides the dangerous scene, there are actually breathtaking scenery along the road... Jin Sha River, Geroges, Jungle, and here our bus driver stopped us beside a big meadow with sheeps and red & purple flowers! One word - BEAUTIFUL!!!

Street Vendors

by vigi Written Oct 14, 2003

Fondest memory: A normal scene when travelling in China, there are always street vendors trying to sell you food and drinks on the road. Here, fresh boiled corn from the farm, sweet and tasty, only cost ONE Yuan. You'll never get hungey on the road. I never need to open the Power Bars I brought along.

Landslide along the way

by vigi Written Oct 14, 2003

Fondest memory: After about 2 hours drive, the road started to be bumpy. From this photo, you can see rocks fell at road side. I guess there were landslide few days ago. And there maybe possible landslide again on rainy days. Thankfully, no rain on the morning I travelled. We were stucked for 15 mins here, gave way for a small car which was trying hard to pass through the rocks. Learn a lesson: For safety reason, DO NOT hire taxi / car on this road, at least a size of Jeep / van, otherwise you'll have trouble!

From Lijiang to ZhongDian

by vigi Written Oct 14, 2003

Fondest memory: 12Sep2003 (Friday), I took the 10:30am bus from Lijiang to ZhongDian, 6 hours ride, price 33 Yuan. The bus was bumpy, everybody sqeezed together, as usual when taking minibus in China, we didn't have space to stretch our legs. On this public bus were a western "tour group" going from ZhongDian to Tibet. I was shocked when I know that they actually pay about 13,000 Yuan for the 17 days tour, and they were actually taking the public bus!!! And staying in cheap guest houses!!! And these people still think that it's a GOOD DEAL!!!

A walk up the hill

by vigi Written Oct 15, 2003

Fondest memory: Behind the village is a small hill, guess there must be nice view up there. The 2 security goats still following me, seems like calling me "meeeei.... meeeeei...." while walking...

New Buddha Statue

by vigi Written Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: Some where around the Monastery, monks are building this new buddha statue. Copper face with wooden "bone" inside.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Surprisingly there's not many...

by l_joo Written Sep 6, 2002

Favorite thing: Surprisingly there's not many Western tourists but only locals and some oversea Chinese...we comfortably sleeping on the bus enjoying our sceneries...Wheeew !!

Instant Answers: Zhongdian

Comments

Zhongdian Favorites

Reviews and photos of Zhongdian favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zhongdian sightseeing.