Zhongdian Off The Beaten Path

You can't fool me, those are dog pelts!
    by bpacker

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Serengeti in Shangri La

by bpacker Updated Jan 22, 2008

Decapitated in Shangri-la

A freshly butchered yak, complete with a furry horned-head, hangs on display outside a beef noodle shop in Shangri-la. The odour of blood draws housewives to the carcass. As they haggle over the price of the spare parts, I think of the lions in Serengeti, they were not too different.

Where:Old Town, Shangri-la, Yunnan
    Not Suitable for: Peta Activists and Vegetarians

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Foxy Pelts from 'Russia'

by bpacker Updated Jan 21, 2008

You can't fool me, those are dog pelts!

Pelts with heads, tails and legs hang from a wooden rack in a shop at the Old Town. As I approached the shop, the shop-keeper tells me that these were fox pelts from Russia . I begged to differ after a closer look. They were domestic dogs and I hurriedly left the shop as revulsion took over me*. Nightmares happens in Utopia apparently.

Where:Old Town, Shangri-la, Yunnan
    Not Suitable for: Peta Activists and all parents of dogs and cats

I had the same reaction in Hanoi, Vietnam. I almost threw up when I saw a roasted dog on a spit.

• travelpug's Profile Photo

Old town Zhongdian

by travelpug Written Sep 15, 2007

Take a stroll in the older part of the town, you will be surprised to find it such a contrast to the downtown area. People seems to be living in very basic condition here. Definitely off the beaten path.

• cpim2004's Profile Photo

Du Ke Zong Old Town

by cpim2004 Updated Nov 26, 2004

De Ke Zong Old Town

old town is recoveried in 2001, you can find more than 300-year-old tranditional wooden house at No.66 in the entrance of the town.

you can find the pub and guesthouse in the old town, it is nice place to stay, after talked with the host,, I found them most stayed there because they can not leave after travel around zhongdian.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Tibetian Bull, long hair bull,...

by l_joo Written Sep 6, 2002

Tibetian Bull, long hair bull, they are quite common with pigs. Bull ***s can be used as cement onto their house wall.The reason why I haven't visit Lhasa is just because of time limit, from ZhongDian to Lhasa take a week's time and the road are extremely adventuring according to a local driver, but I will be back next time.

• cpim2004's Profile Photo

by cpim2004 Written Nov 26, 2004

Buddhist Service Hall

In the De Ke Zong old town, there is a place you can find the colorful Tang Ka, the printing or drawing for the Buddha.

Instant Answers: Zhongdian

Comments

Zhongdian Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Zhongdian off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zhongdian sightseeing.