Hangzhou Transportation

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

My experience on the Emperors Channel to Suzhou

by tremendopunto Written May 14, 2005

On the Emperors Channel

Today the boat leaves in the late afternoon from Hangzhou and arrives in Suzhou in the early morning.You can choose between luxury double rooms with the best view on top and 4 to 6 and even more bed cabins below deck. As far as I remeber I paid 60 kuai in a four bed cabin under deck,which means you have two portholes or windows just above the water level.Well,beds were a little bit short for my size-but that happens in sleeper trains, too.My friend Omed is more lucky with these things.Even though the Emperors Channel is not really cristal clear but more of a real sewer with kind of thrash passing by sometimes,it started as a slow relaxing trip.Houses pass by and we enjoyed a nice sunset before going to bed.I still have in mind thinking that the captain would really need the eyes of an hawk,because some ships which came to meet us had no light at night.And yes, in the middle of the night we heard a loud crash and an ongoing roaring sound. We were standing in our beds watching a black shipside scratching past our windows.We prepared to run on top deck to jump into the water to save our life (yeah,too much Titanic movies...)when the two Chinese people in our room were cool as ice,telling us to relax,it is nothing serious. Even if something would happen,the Channel is not deep enough to drown a whole ship......they turned around an fell asleep again as if nothing has happened.Ok, I needed some more time to fall asleep again. But I got acclimatized well enough, so that the hitting of some trees floating on the channel later did not really make me nervous anymore.Finally we reached Suzhou in the very early morning without enough sleep somewhere in an industrial park.That was not really the Chinese version of Venice first,but we were fetched up by a bus(included in the ferry price)to take us downtown to the older part of Suzhou.All in all it became a little bit more adventurous than we had expected,but in the retroperspective it was a great experience!!!!

• honestjohn's Profile Photo

N504 Hangzhou 9:00 Suzhou 12:28

Trains from Suzhou to Hangzhou
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    K161 Suzhou 16:28 Hangzhou East 20:05

the following trains are not start from Suzhou but pass Suzhou, if you take them, maybe you cannot get a seat..
    K258 Suzhou 16:17 Hangzhou 20:01
    K91 Suzhou 9:34 Hangzhou East 12:55

• Trains

• Hangzhou Station

by mke1963 Written Jan 15, 2005

Hangzhou station was, unsuprisingly, extremely simple to use. So much so that it was completly unmemorable and I can't remember anything about the place!!! This is probably how it should be...no crowds, good signs, easy access to trains.

There is an extremely regular service to Shanghai, taking 2 hours, and so there are few (any?) flights between Hangzhou and Shanghai.

• bhemak's Profile Photo

Tourist detector van

by bhemak Written Sep 21, 2004

I got around Hangzhou on a tour (mine was through the railway, but I think they are all similar). It was not expensive and the guide was friendly and knowledgable. But, they hurry you through the good attractions to get you to 'sites' where you buy things (and they get a kick back). I just wanted to hang around the lake and look around the independant shops.

If you are in a hurry and a budget, these tours are a decent value. If you want a laid back experience in this calm city, go your own way.

• Colomb's Profile Photo

Boat Hangzhou-Suzhou

by Colomb Written Apr 19, 2004

Canal Boat to Suzhou is an interesting experience. I’ve once taken the boat in opposite direction, Suzhou-Hangzhou. However, I don’t think the boats are suitable for travellers. The boats are chained in line, one after another, up to 4. The first one tugs the others. If take the leading boat, you must buy its 1st class ticket otherwise the cabins are besides the engine room so that you won’t have a good rest. All the rooms are pretty small with no furnishments. 2nd class rooms are unacceptably small. The night view of the Canal is all in darkness. You must cherish the dawn and dusk. Well, I think the boats to Wuxi is a better choice. although it takes 1hr more time, the boats sails in Lake Taihu, the 3rd largest lake, for that period. So you can enjoy both canal and lake views. I won’t revise your route, but suggest you take the Hangzhou-Wuxi boat. If you won’t spend time on Wuxi, just take a train to Suzhou. Lots of trains run between the 2 cities and it takes only a half hour’s time. Remember to book the boat tickets in advance or you’ll have fewer choices.

Places to buy boat ticket/Wharf:
    Hangzhou, 138 HuanchengBeiLu, (Wulinmen)
    Suzhou, Renmin Qiao(People's Bridge)
    Both are in downtown areas.

• Renee44's Profile Photo

Take a leisurely boat ride

by Renee44 Written Feb 25, 2004

Ask for the price and the places that the boatman would take u to with that price.

The boatman suddenly demanded more $ to go to places which he said was included.

When we refused, he started to row very very slowly. So we juz sat in the boat and enjoy the ride

• coral0317's Profile Photo

Me in uniform ^_^

by coral0317 Updated Feb 23, 2003

THe coolest plane i've ever seen!!!

Actually this pic was not took in Hangzhou but Beijing Capital International Airport, i was having a short term trainning lessons. Thought the plane was pretty stunning, so that's how it came to being=)

• coral0317's Profile Photo

A good and a fast way to get here

by coral0317 Updated Feb 23, 2003

Hangzhou Xiao Shan International Airport was put into use at the end of year 2000. I bet the large scale of greenbelt would impress most of the people. The terminal has some kinda Hangzhou style, i mean the roof would definitely remind u of the wavy westlake water.
    To tell u the truth, u may run into me there, cuz that's where i'm working at, but it will all depend on ur luck, haha=)

Does this building looks like the Sydney Opera House?

Instant Answers: Hangzhou

Comments

Hangzhou Transportation

Reviews and photos of Hangzhou transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hangzhou sightseeing.