Tiantai Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Tiantai

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo

find the amazing artifacts at Gouqing temple

by Herwig1961 Written Nov 11, 2008

Simply love to discover this things.At this special case it was a small Buddha figure which I have never seen before at this ,,design``It show Buddha in his early years I was told.I think it was not allowed to take a foto but I couldn`t resist.The guardian monk was asleep and I took the oportunity.

Chichang mountain

by Herwig1961 Written Nov 3, 2008

From far you can see the pagoda on top of the mountain.The amazing color of the rocks(reddish brown)It is a holy place for Buddhism and Taoism.But it is no problem to climb up the mountain and visit the Monk Jigong temple and all the caves.Very famous is the Taoist 6th cave.Very interesting place,beautiful view from the top.On top you can visit,see the Liang Fei pagoda.

• Hiking and Walking

Visit Guoqing temple

by Herwig1961 Written Nov 3, 2008

The temple is one of the oldest temples in China.Originally built in 598AD.From here the Tiantai sect of Buddhism spread to Korea and Japan.This temple is for them what Mecca is for the Islam.I have been at least one day a week visiting the temple.(I have been almost 5months in Tiantai)And almost everytime I found new details.It is a charming,magic place.(at least for me)Beautiful old trees,the peace which lays over this place.The stonework,the beautiful Pagoda courtyard.A place to find inner peace.

Plum Blossom, A unique flower in China

by we2364 Updated Nov 11, 2004

Plum Blossom is so unique because it always blossom in the early spring when the weather is still cold and other flowers are so weak to blossom. Therefore, Plum blossom is granted to the person with the morality of being noble - with no fear to coldness, with no fear to difficulty.

Apparently, I didn't come at the right time to observe its effulgence. But with her extended branches, I already sense the nobility of it.

Guo Qing Temple

by we2364 Updated Nov 11, 2004

It's one of the temple located in the scenery area of Tiantai Mountain. With a history more than 1500 years(Back to Sui Dynasty), from this place, it established one of the earliest faction of Chinese buddism. There is no reason for not visiting this place.

One of the difference of this temple starting from the gate. Most of gates of temples open towards South while this one opens towarding east.

Purple Cloud Temple

by we2364 Updated Nov 11, 2004

It's a temple for buddist nun which was built besides a rock cave along with its geographical scape and has been there for more than 1000 years.

This is another miracle of ancient Chinese. Can't believe the building has been erected underneath the huge rock for such a long time.

Probably it was even my 1st time to have a close touch with old nuns as we can't see those "people" in the big cities. I was hoping to take a photo of a very old nun(with my smiling to get her permission:). But she still felt disturbed and waved her hands to me (meant "NO"). The respect must be given but later I sneaked the chance by taking the pic of her from another side. Budda, pls forgive me only because she is one of the treasure should be kept. I keep this photo in the album. Maybe display to VTers after a period of time.

Visit the new temple of Monk Jigong

by Herwig1961 Written Nov 3, 2008

This temple don`t have the magic like Guoqing temple.But it is a very beautiful spot.A very nice garden at the inside.Nice stonework and paintings.Lovely view over parts of the city.

• Castles and Palaces

Huading Forest park

by Herwig1961 Written Nov 3, 2008

Another beautiful area around Tiantai.The park is at a elevation of 800-1000m above sea level.I was amazed by the misty atmosphere and the beautiful tea plants.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

Shiliang flying waterfall

by Herwig1961 Written Nov 3, 2008

Unfortunately I have only this 2 fotos left.Shiliang is a very beautiful scenic spot.Absolutely worth a visit.

• Theme Park Trips
    • National/State Park

• we2364's Profile Photo

The trees, grown up for hundred of years

by we2364 Updated Nov 11, 2004

Those giant and old trees are everywhere in and around the temples. Some are more than 500 years.

Touch it, feel the power of life.

Instant Answers: Tiantai

Comments

Tiantai Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tiantai things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tiantai sightseeing.