Xi Tang is located in Zhe Jiang area, and lots of rivers & streams that provides unique "river-food" cuisines. Different from seafoods, the taste is much more mile and fresh. I only had time to treat myself a dinner, a breakfast + a lunch for this one-day trip. But i was very satisfied with plenty of local snacks.
Favorite Dish: "River-food"
For fish / shell lovers, you can order many kinds of fishes + shells from the menu almost in all restaurants in Xi Tang. Their quality do not vary too much as the town is already a touristic place. Well, just look for a place where there are many people is sitting there... should be OK. Try to ask the local tavellers, they should be able to tell you. I had my dinner very late at night cos i don't want to line up in crew to wait for a seat... peak hrs is from 6-8pm. Since I was travelling alone, i haven't got chance to try out many dishes.
Remember to order the local yellow win. (Hua Diao) the unique sweet taste rice win, hot serve with river-food, late under the moonlight... in winter time you will feel wonder!! I got little drunk after taking whole 750ml (@ aprox 13% alcohol)...
Local Snacks must try!!!! it's really All-you-can-eat !!!
- Smoked frog - baby size frogs... smoked! not looking good but taste good
- stinky Tofu - you can smell the stink from miles away but won't have the smell when you are 1 feet close to the tofu. eat with sweet + hot sauce.
- cabinet wonton man - a man, with selfmade cabinet + stove, sells handmade won ton (dumpling like food) ... look for him near some bridges... he is MOBILE!
- tofu man - a man (again, he is mobile and can find near some bridges) sells the typicall tofu served with soya / tiny dried shrimp / seaweed / ...
- chinese pickles - there are few pickle shops, get some tasted before you buy.
- warped rice cake - dunno how to call that in English... local food, sticky rice warping some meat or salty egg yoke... then the whole thing being warpped by lotus leave. actually... you do find it in most towns across China.
The location of Qiangtang Renjia (left) is unbeatable, ideally located at the corner of two branches of rivers, it offers the best view, especially if you get a window seat upstair.
The Ming Qing Shidai (right) is a newly built big mansion across the river from Qiantang Renjia.
Favorite Dish: The view