Eating and Drinking, Hong Kong

Know about this? Rate It!

vegetarian spring roll
    steamed buns
    by machomikemd
    stir fried meat and veggies
  • gloopgloop's Profile Photo

Supermarkets

by gloopgloop Written Aug 26, 2006

Favorite thing: Visit the supermarkets in Hong Kong like Park and shop or Wellcome, as they come of their stores have imported food goodies from the UK or US. Plus most of the supermarkets are open until 11pm!

As supermarkets are in competition with each other there are always discounts or special offers every week. The bigger the store the bigger selections they have.

• Women's Travel

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Side streets

by herzog63 Updated Oct 21, 2003

Side Street

Favorite thing: I enjoyed the sights and sounds of all of these streets. There is so much hustle and bustle! Quite often when I was hungry I would find a place that had lots of locals eating. I would figure that would be the best place because of all the people there.

• Adventure Travel

• Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

Rock hard.

by Princess_Emily Updated Aug 18, 2007

How far is it to Hong Kong?

Favorite thing: Your sitting in your seat, seatbelt fastened, patting yourself on the back for not spending any extra money on food when a meal will be served in flight, the Captain is announcing the flight will only take 10 hours today due to a fast moving jet stream, your getting excited, and then you notice it, it's rock hard, what do you do? Play with it until it gets soft? NO! Put it under your main course tray before opening your meal, the main course tray is hot enough that after just 2 minutes the frozen rock hard butter tab will be soft enough to spread on the roll that is included with the meal.

• Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

Variety is the spice of life.

by Princess_Emily Written Aug 16, 2007

Disney

Favorite thing: Being a Virtual Tourist member means, among other things, that i like a little variety in my life which lead to this idea; upon checking in at the Hollywood Hotel I asked if it would be possible to have breakfast at different locations during our stay, to my surprise the answer was Yes, that's no problem.
    Our first breakfast was at the Plaza Inn inside Disneyland Park, Next up was the Enchanted Gardens at the Disneyland Hotel, and on the last day of our visit we had breakfast at our hotel.

• Theme Park Trips

• Eurasian68's Profile Photo

Water

by Eurasian68 Written Jan 8, 2006

Drink only boiled water

Favorite thing: All water direct from government mains in Hong Kong satisfies the United Nations World Health Organisation standards, but it is not advisable to drink water directly from the tap! Bottled water is widely avaiblable in hotels and supermarkets.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• Docter_J's Profile Photo

Shing ba ku Caffe'(Ok, so...

by Docter_J Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Shing ba ku Caffe'
    (Ok, so thats my really awful Pin Yin for Starbucks Coffee!)

I met an Australian mate here who was very very interesting....we talked the entire afternoon about life....exchanging stories, etc...:)

Ironically he was moving to Thailand....I've lost contact with him, but maybe I'll see him when I head back? :)

• TSC's Profile Photo

Food, glory the Cantonese food!

by TSC Updated May 9, 2003

Dim Sum dishes

Favorite thing: The real Cantonese food that you cannot find in the West.

Fondest memory: Dining in restaurant is one of the popular things the locals often do. During lunch time on Sundays, all the big restaurants are packed with families!

• Kindra's Profile Photo

Kindra's General Tip

by Kindra Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Hong Kong tea! I usually take my tea and coffee black but HK style is loaded with condensed milk and sugar... sooooo good. Each morning at the home I was staying in, the Filipino maids had a thermos of this stuff prepared sitting at the table... a great start to the day! I have been trying to emulate this back in Canada and it just doesn't work. You have to be in HK to get the real stuff. (or have a great Filipino nanny to make the stuff for you...)

• adasyau's Profile Photo

Egg tarts -- A favourite of Hong Kong's governor

by adasyau Written Oct 12, 2008

Favorite thing: Tai Chong Bakery, famous for its egg tarts, which are a favourite of Chris Patten (the last governor of Hong Kong), is located at 35 Lyndhurst Terrace, easily accessible from Central. There is a branch on 5/F., New Century Place, Mongkok East Station and another one is in Kwun Tong.

The sugared "egg ball", somewhat like a donut but is more buttery and fluffy, is also delicious.

If you can read Chinese, go to www.taichongbakery.com for details.

• samantha_chee's Profile Photo

"Che Zai Min" (Noodles)

by samantha_chee Written Feb 2, 2006

Favorite thing: I was attracted by its name. "Che Zai" means small car in cantonese. Min means noodles.

I have tasted it during my trip into Lantau Island, visit Big Buddha. Though the stalls are right in front of the Big Buddha, they are charging standard prices. A bowl of Che Zai Min costs us HKD 15, a homemade Tau Fu Fa or black sesame costs HKD 8 only. Unlike some tourist spots in Malaysia, a fresh coconut water could cost you RM 10 (normal price is about RM 3.50) !

So, you can take some refreshments here before climbing the staircases to "meet" Big Buddha.

Fondest memory: Che Zai Min = Noodles* + Side Dishes**

*Noodles like Hor-Fun, Mi-Fun etc.

**Side dishes like chicken feet, fish balls, fish cakes, fried eggs, wan-ton, vegetables etc.

• Architecture
    • Singles

• glydel75's Profile Photo

one thing i remember about the...

by glydel75 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: one thing i remember about the food is this super duper yummy fried rice. i could eat just that... without any ulam to go with it. yummyyy....

Fondest memory: fondest memory was walking along kowloon area at night - even around 10 am, the street is still bustling with people, foreigners - shoppers... even if there were a lot of people, u wouldn't feel so scared...

but shopping sometimes gets so tiring...

• Don't drink the water! - like I did......hmmm

by lachydragon Written Feb 25, 2003

Fondest memory: I can llok back on this now and smile, but when i was passing through Hong Kong on my way to Pakistan my dear travelling companion (yes, that's YOU Ray) told me that 100% absoluterly the water was fine to drink.

Well, I can tell you I was definitely not a happy roommate the next morning as my stomach was gurgling something shocking and my counternance matched my health. After an "interesting" glass of water that tasted like it had been brought up out of a pond I was suffering something shocking!

I quizzed one of Ray's relatives the next day about the water situation and sure enough (by the look of horror on her face at my tale) the water was DEFINITELY NOT DRINKABLE).

Some will laugh at my foolhardiness at even trying to drink without first checking, and it is one lesson that i have definitely learnt and learnt well!!

• EAT!!!!!!!! especially dim...

by pelagos Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: EAT!!!!!!!! especially dim sum! But travellers beware, don't go for fake dim sum, some of them are simply stuffed with flour but local people still eat them as a snack. If you're new, go to established restaurants before you hunt around for other goodies. Temple Street is a great place for bargaining and if you're lucky, getting Polo Ralph shirts (sometimes GENUINE) for as cheap as HK$10!!!!

Fondest memory: The night view is simply fabulous. THe food is even more fabulous. Hong Kong is too much. You must see for yourself.

• Since I used to live in Hong...

by fdexaminer Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Since I used to live in Hong Kong, I love everything, especially, shopping and eating. A lot of cheap eats, but most of the are pretty hard-core Chinese food (extremely yummy) unlike fake Chinese food like American-Chinese food.

Fondest memory: The night scene from the peak, is free, is amazing!

• 34N118W's Profile Photo

34N118W's General Tip

by 34N118W Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memories usually aren't the monuments or museums, but the little things. In HK it has to be barbequing at Repulse Bay, and getting drunk with friends in Kowloon.

Instant Answers: Hong Kong