Shopping, Hong Kong

Know about this? Rate It!

View from the top of the bus.
    by vkrieger
    faces-shops-hongkong
    by RoyJava
    Inside the Harbour City
    by yen_2
  • vkrieger's Profile Photo

Idol Vision-Shop 29, G/F, Mirador Mansion, 1C Mody

by vkrieger Written Oct 6, 2013
    View from the top of the bus.

Favorite thing: In 2011, my family and I went to Hong Kong for a quick 4 day stay. I brought with me our eyeglasses prescription (me and my son). A friend, who lives in HK and works at an eye clinic, recommended I see her friend Mr. Paul at Idol Vision. We went there Monday morning, picked out our glasses and picked them up on Thursday evening.

The glasses were excellent (usually it take me a few days to adjust to new glasses, but I didn't have to adjust at all this time). They were also a lot less than what I would have paid in Toronto. The service was great and in fact, months later, my son damaged his glasses at school and my brother-in-law, who had a planned trip to HK took them back and they fixed them for us.

If you would like to get new glasses, I highly recommend Idol Vision.

Fondest memory: We had a lot of fun just riding the Big Bus Tour bus around Hong Kong. It was really great to experience the city from the top of the bus. I highly recommed this for anyone visiting HK and don't have a lot of time. HK is a great city to walk around in. We were there in March, so it was a bit hazy, but the temperature was perfect.

• vtdanny's Profile Photo

Pay attention when you are paying cash ... ..

by vtdanny Written Sep 19, 2011

Favorite thing: Everything everyone is on the go all the time in HK , the eternal rush.

TAKE YOUR TIME when you are paying cash ( large bills ). The closeness of the 100HKD and 1000HKD colour scheme makes it difficult to distinguish when in a low lighting area, or when you're rushed. Count your bills twice, it's ok.

Make sure you are parting with the right bills. $100HKD is red, $1000HKD is on the golden or light orange side.

It happened to me just a couple months ago. And it's not just a tourists thing, local mixed up their bills at times as well.

• Business Travel

• John6868's Profile Photo

Mobile phone shopping (Price Comparison)

by John6868 Written Apr 13, 2008

Favorite thing: We don't have any VAT/GST in Hong Kong so it should be at least that much cheaper so long as avoid the expesive outlets in the big shopping malls.
    Aplui Street in Sham Shu Po is a well known area for mobile phones shops.
    Enjoy your stay.

• How to win the Hong Kong Shopper of the Year!

by benwhitmarsh Updated Feb 20, 2007

Favorite thing: This is a fantastic annual competition, where teams from all over the world compete to become the worlds best shopper - It's fantastic to watch the teams hurrying all over Hong Kong. Paste this URL into your browser to see the video: rtsp://q229.tvlynx.co.uk/HongKongShopper_v2.mov

• Festivals

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Fashion Beauty

by RoyJava Written Jan 7, 2007

faces-shops-hongkong

Favorite thing: Hong Kong is as fashionable as Paris, London, New York. In mind the sign of dollars you can do world-class, exclusive shopping here like in paradise. Hong Kong is united with business, office-expand, much money swallowing up investments ... so the expressions "money is round" and "money makes the world go round" are not that inconceivable then sooner its characteristic feature.

Fondest memory: Fortunately the city is taking great pride, too, in its fashion. Doing "hair & make-up" it is great to see how the Western publicity beauty billboards welcome you in a surprising way in Hongkong. Fashion- as well make-up shops are not just shopping area's in an ordinary mall. The fashionable shops are truely stylished, luxurious and very trendy decorated, great done Hong Kong!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Grand Richly ripp off

by itchyfeettraveler Written Aug 13, 2005

Favorite thing: Hong Kong is a great place for shopping if your careful, but beware....the biggest ripp offs for electrical goods in the world happen in Hong Kong. Many people get ripped off every day, especially on Nathan road. You can get real bargains in Hong Kong, but as they say in the lonely planet...dont buy it unless it has a price ticket. Beware in particular of the Grand richly shop and the av city shop on Nathan road. If you stay clear of these kind of places ...you will have a great shopping trip in Hong Kong.

Fondest memory: The harbour views...awsome...some of the best views of skyscrapers in the world.

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo

POSTCARDS : Affordable Memories

by coolpanda87 Written Jan 23, 2004
    Tsing Ma Postcard

Favorite thing: Like many cities, Hong Kong has many shops that sell postcards. Usually the postcards are so beautiful that we ourselves could never capture it that way. Many shops sell postcards around 10-50 cents USD for one, with the high quality postcards selling below 1 USD.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Hustle and Bustle

by Bwana_Brown Written Feb 25, 2003

Typical Street Scene

Favorite thing: The prices and choices of electronic goods were very good compared to anywhere else that I had been. It was my last chance to pick up a few things for my wife and daughters waiting back in Papua New Guinea so I made a stab at it (not being a great shopper)! A Seiko watch for my wife, two Nintendo hand-held games for my daughters (which were quite the rage with their friends when we eventually got back to Canada), a 35-mm movie camera to finally get some live images of New Guinea and a "Jaffle Maker" - it still makes great sandwiches to this day!

• Business Travel

• Pinoy's Profile Photo

Spent your money wisely.

by Pinoy Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Most people I know come to Hong Kong to shop. Yet, I find some of the products are not at their best quality. Nevertheless, they are bargain. And make sure you save extra money for dimsum, afterwards. Sampling dimsum is a must in Hong Kong.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Hong Kong was to be re-acquainted with my friend Antonio after so many years.

• Cruise

• chngbw's Profile Photo

Shop till u drop!! There was...

by chngbw Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Shop till u drop!! There was endless shopping to be done in HK! It was mid-morning n I was standing in middle of the soon-to-be-busy streets of Tsim Sha Tsui. Notice the colourful street advertisement behind me? :)

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Oh man, one night, the teacher who took us to China and part of the group were walking on Nathan Road. At one point he and I were looking at lenses for his camera. He wanted a Tamaron lens, or a new camera with lens if he could get it cheap enough. I knew that much of the stuff sold was fake, and wanted to make sure that the lens was real. The F-stop numbers on the lens were reversed from the way I knew (they counted down instead of up (or something). I wanted to make sure that it wasn't screwed up, and would actually work when we got it home, so I asked the salesman about it. He didn't speak much English, I certainly didn't speak much Cantonese, so I guess there was some misunderstanding. And, instead of him telling me about it, he just said that it was good (that I should buy it). I asked again, and again misunderstanding or something. He got mad at me and yelled at me, telling me to, quote, 'Go back to your own country.' Now this was funny, but I couldn't laugh there. It was an unfortunate misunderstanding. Or maybe he figured I didn't trust the merchandise, which I didn't. But, I said nothing as I meant no harm in the first place, and wasn't even asking if the camera lens was any good. My question to him was, 'Why are these markings backwards on this lens?' Unfortunate misunderstandings. Oh well, it was a great night of shopping, and I love Kowloon!

• smoox's Profile Photo

smoox's General Tip

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: I was looking for a pharmacy to get some aspirin. This was the first view I got. They had about everything, from dried snake livers to pulverized goanna. BUT on the opposite side, the shelves were full of modern chemistry - and I got my aspirin!

• smoox's Profile Photo

look up! On the street level,...

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: look up! On the street level, there are usually small shops and restaurants. The upper floors are very often occupied by small companies producing textiles (sweat shops). So up there, hundreds of busy workers are sewing those low-priced clothes you can buy anywhere in Hongkong - and beautiful ones at that!

• Adeline_Foo's Profile Photo

SHOPPING IN ESPRIT OUTLETS

by Adeline_Foo Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Visit the ESPRIT OUTLETS. There are many many Esprit Outlets in Hong Kong. Some apparel is discounted up to 90%.

This photo taken in Tsim Sha Tsui at night after our shopping at Espirit

Fondest memory: We went to one of their outlets in Tsim Sha Tsui. It is located at the Basement One of Sheraton Hotel, 20 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. To get there, take the MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui Station

• air1188's Profile Photo

...must shop till you...

by air1188 Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: ...must shop till you drop!!!....the salespeopel in all the shops are absolutely the friendliest people in the world!!!....the food were great too...i will recommend some shops and restuarants later on in this page..so stya tune..!!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Hong Kong happened in a U2 shop on the nathan road (i know there are countless number of U2 shop but this one is next to the G2000 shop, it is in front of a shopping mall, but i cant remember the name). I was checking out the clothe and suddenly my nose start bleeding. I dont know why but may be it was because i was blowing my nose earlier. Anyway, i started to bleed dso i sat down and kept my head high up. One of the salesladies came to me and start nursing me and ask me with a very concern face. I could feel her real concern and i was so graqteful. For ten minute, my nose bleeding would not stop, so she took me to the staff's bathroom (you actually have to have key to get into it) and soak the tissue paper with cold water and put it on my forehead and repeat that for many times more. She gave me tissue paper to wipe the blood off my face and kept my hands from touching the nose coz i kept touching it. Finally the blood stopped. I said thank you for many times and she gave me some more paper just in case. She was really nice and we said good bye. we bought a sweater from there and i thought about her for the rest of the day. Even though i went to hong kong for a lot of times but this time i am very impressed with this country. Hong Kong, you should be pround of her!!!

Instant Answers: Hong Kong