Shopping, Hong Kong

Know about this? Rate It!

View from the top of the bus.
    by vkrieger
    faces-shops-hongkong
    by RoyJava
    Inside the Harbour City
    by yen_2
  • Pinoy's Profile Photo

Spent your money wisely.

by Pinoy Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Most people I know come to Hong Kong to shop. Yet, I find some of the products are not at their best quality. Nevertheless, they are bargain. And make sure you save extra money for dimsum, afterwards. Sampling dimsum is a must in Hong Kong.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Hong Kong was to be re-acquainted with my friend Antonio after so many years.

• Cruise

• Adeline_Foo's Profile Photo

SHOPPING IN ESPRIT OUTLETS

by Adeline_Foo Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Visit the ESPRIT OUTLETS. There are many many Esprit Outlets in Hong Kong. Some apparel is discounted up to 90%.

This photo taken in Tsim Sha Tsui at night after our shopping at Espirit

Fondest memory: We went to one of their outlets in Tsim Sha Tsui. It is located at the Basement One of Sheraton Hotel, 20 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. To get there, take the MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui Station

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Hustle and Bustle

by Bwana_Brown Written Feb 25, 2003

Typical Street Scene

Favorite thing: The prices and choices of electronic goods were very good compared to anywhere else that I had been. It was my last chance to pick up a few things for my wife and daughters waiting back in Papua New Guinea so I made a stab at it (not being a great shopper)! A Seiko watch for my wife, two Nintendo hand-held games for my daughters (which were quite the rage with their friends when we eventually got back to Canada), a 35-mm movie camera to finally get some live images of New Guinea and a "Jaffle Maker" - it still makes great sandwiches to this day!

• Business Travel

• John6868's Profile Photo

Mobile phone shopping (Price Comparison)

by John6868 Written Apr 13, 2008

Favorite thing: We don't have any VAT/GST in Hong Kong so it should be at least that much cheaper so long as avoid the expesive outlets in the big shopping malls.
    Aplui Street in Sham Shu Po is a well known area for mobile phones shops.
    Enjoy your stay.

• chngbw's Profile Photo

Shop till u drop!! There was...

by chngbw Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Shop till u drop!! There was endless shopping to be done in HK! It was mid-morning n I was standing in middle of the soon-to-be-busy streets of Tsim Sha Tsui. Notice the colourful street advertisement behind me? :)

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Oh man, one night, the teacher who took us to China and part of the group were walking on Nathan Road. At one point he and I were looking at lenses for his camera. He wanted a Tamaron lens, or a new camera with lens if he could get it cheap enough. I knew that much of the stuff sold was fake, and wanted to make sure that the lens was real. The F-stop numbers on the lens were reversed from the way I knew (they counted down instead of up (or something). I wanted to make sure that it wasn't screwed up, and would actually work when we got it home, so I asked the salesman about it. He didn't speak much English, I certainly didn't speak much Cantonese, so I guess there was some misunderstanding. And, instead of him telling me about it, he just said that it was good (that I should buy it). I asked again, and again misunderstanding or something. He got mad at me and yelled at me, telling me to, quote, 'Go back to your own country.' Now this was funny, but I couldn't laugh there. It was an unfortunate misunderstanding. Or maybe he figured I didn't trust the merchandise, which I didn't. But, I said nothing as I meant no harm in the first place, and wasn't even asking if the camera lens was any good. My question to him was, 'Why are these markings backwards on this lens?' Unfortunate misunderstandings. Oh well, it was a great night of shopping, and I love Kowloon!

• smoox's Profile Photo

look up! On the street level,...

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: look up! On the street level, there are usually small shops and restaurants. The upper floors are very often occupied by small companies producing textiles (sweat shops). So up there, hundreds of busy workers are sewing those low-priced clothes you can buy anywhere in Hongkong - and beautiful ones at that!

• smoox's Profile Photo

smoox's General Tip

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: I was looking for a pharmacy to get some aspirin. This was the first view I got. They had about everything, from dried snake livers to pulverized goanna. BUT on the opposite side, the shelves were full of modern chemistry - and I got my aspirin!

• VTShounen's Profile Photo

eat and shop!! Food and shops...

by VTShounen Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: eat and shop!! Food and shops are everywhere, and for both you can get things from the ridiculously inexpensive, to the outrageously decadent.
    If you are brave enough to try street food (and for the most part they are safe, but keep in mind I grew up on this stuff), then you will be able to treat yourself to the many different smells and flavours of many different types of food, for very little money. Next up would be fast food places (both American and HK style) and hole-in-the-walls. Then there are hole-in-the-wall'esque establishments and food courts that are franchise chains, which are slightly more expensive. Next up are restaurant style chains, and finally 'real' restaurants, which have categories in and of itself. But as you can see, choices abound. You can get every type of food imaginable as well, though for more distinct/unique ethnic food, they will more likely be located in Central.

As for shopping, cheap clothes, neat gizmos, cool gadgets.. they can all be found in one of the many street markets. They usually get busy at night, and the famous Temple Street is only open at night. There are also lots of Asian-style malls (narrow hallways, low ceilings) everywhere. Recently, North American style malls have been popping up. The bigger ones are Times Square (Causeway Bay MTR), Festival Walk (Kowloon Tong MTR & KCR), Hollywood Plaza (Diamond Hill MTR), and Pacific Place (Admiralty MTR), with the latter being the most posh of them all, IMO. Being located at the foot of several major hotels such as the Shangri-La would have something to do with it I'm sure! Inside these malls you can have an enjoyable (and perhaps familiar) shopping experience, and prices tend not to be outrageous anywhere in HK anyhow. For the really expensive stuff, you will want to go to Central or Tsim Sha Tsui (ie. where the luxuriant hotels are) and look for the boutiques. Sorry, but I can't help you in giving advice in the ultra-luxury department..

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Fashion Beauty

by RoyJava Written Jan 7, 2007

faces-shops-hongkong

Favorite thing: Hong Kong is as fashionable as Paris, London, New York. In mind the sign of dollars you can do world-class, exclusive shopping here like in paradise. Hong Kong is united with business, office-expand, much money swallowing up investments ... so the expressions "money is round" and "money makes the world go round" are not that inconceivable then sooner its characteristic feature.

Fondest memory: Fortunately the city is taking great pride, too, in its fashion. Doing "hair & make-up" it is great to see how the Western publicity beauty billboards welcome you in a surprising way in Hongkong. Fashion- as well make-up shops are not just shopping area's in an ordinary mall. The fashionable shops are truely stylished, luxurious and very trendy decorated, great done Hong Kong!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• ankx's Profile Photo

or switching east for Wan Chai...

by ankx Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: or switching east for Wan Chai and Causeway Bay as they all are neighbouring districts.
    Both Wan Chai and Causeway Bay are early-developed districts on the Hong Kong side. Known as a nightlife area, Wan Chai is being modernized rapidly, side streets with Chinese townhouses of decades old now co-exist with modern office towers on vast newly reclaimed land. A few streets eastwards Causeway Bay is a long-established popular dining and shopping dreamland. Department stores and shopping complexes are seen at nearly every road junctions.
    Tips:Spare some time to shop or window-shop in the area which is said to have the highest rent rates

in the world -- the numerous department stores, retail shops and street bazaars along Hennessy Road in Causeway Bay. For an insight adventure you shouldn't miss the old Wan Chai area where life scenes of Hong Kong in the past -- business in street markets, local style

• air1188's Profile Photo

...must shop till you...

by air1188 Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: ...must shop till you drop!!!....the salespeopel in all the shops are absolutely the friendliest people in the world!!!....the food were great too...i will recommend some shops and restuarants later on in this page..so stya tune..!!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Hong Kong happened in a U2 shop on the nathan road (i know there are countless number of U2 shop but this one is next to the G2000 shop, it is in front of a shopping mall, but i cant remember the name). I was checking out the clothe and suddenly my nose start bleeding. I dont know why but may be it was because i was blowing my nose earlier. Anyway, i started to bleed dso i sat down and kept my head high up. One of the salesladies came to me and start nursing me and ask me with a very concern face. I could feel her real concern and i was so graqteful. For ten minute, my nose bleeding would not stop, so she took me to the staff's bathroom (you actually have to have key to get into it) and soak the tissue paper with cold water and put it on my forehead and repeat that for many times more. She gave me tissue paper to wipe the blood off my face and kept my hands from touching the nose coz i kept touching it. Finally the blood stopped. I said thank you for many times and she gave me some more paper just in case. She was really nice and we said good bye. we bought a sweater from there and i thought about her for the rest of the day. Even though i went to hong kong for a lot of times but this time i am very impressed with this country. Hong Kong, you should be pround of her!!!

• moremaga's Profile Photo

You must go shopping in...

by moremaga Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: You must go shopping in Hongkong at all the markets. Hongkong has some of the best deals on all kinds of items including electronics, clothes, souvenirs, etc... Remember to try and bargain for prices, usually you get a better deal if you do.

• The Times Sqare in Causeway...

by twipsy Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: The Times Sqare in Causeway Bay is really an impressing shopping mall. It´s not the biggest, but one of my favourite shopping malls in Hongkong. At the basement you find a store of Lane Crawford. Above this store you can find a nine floor atríum with many shops, sorted by category. One floor for example is only for HIFI, photo and music (e.g. Tower Records). Above this nine floors you have four smaller floors with some restaurants. So the mall has 14 floors. Above this mall two office towers are located.

• tomeek's Profile Photo

Shopping area

by tomeek Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: One of the many things that have strongly impressed me in Hong Kong is a place like this. At the first glance it may seem like some kind of a fancy shopping mall, well in a way it is but whats more important, its one of the many passages between buildings and streets, so in fact you don't have to cross the street in the way you normally would (even if you can do that too), but instead, you're just passing through such elegant 'corridors' that connect buildings and sometimes blocks too! And in the process, you can even make some shopping or stop by and have a snack in some restaurant!

Instant Answers: Hong Kong