Hong Kong Island Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Hong Kong Island

• JaneCajuguiran's Profile Photo

Hong Kong on a Budget? Check these.

by JaneCajuguiran Written Apr 10, 2009

Favorite thing: visit the Hong Kong Museum of History. Check their website for the day when you don't have to pay any entrance fee. I suggest you go there and take their free tour. You'll be amazed at how they tell their history in a really fun way. It's good for all ages. please visit http://pinas-et-al.blogspot.com/search/label/Hong%20Kong and http://pinas-et-al.blogspot.com/search/label/Museum%20of%20History. for free tours in HK please check out the discover Hongkong website. They usually have walking tours and other treats for their visitors.

Fondest memory: Everything! I just love Hong Kong - their food, the shopping, the tours, specially the museums.

People, buildings etc

by victorwkf Written Jul 20, 2003

Bust streets of Hong Kong

Favorite thing: I find that there are lots of people on the streets of Hong Kong, and they usually stay out until very late at night especially the weekends. Also, there are buildings, vehicles everywhere. Although it is exciting, I feel that it is very crammed up.

• Business Travel

Hong Kong Exhibition & Convention Centre

by victorwkf Written Jul 20, 2003

Hong Kong Exhibition & Convention Centre

Favorite thing: I was in this impressive building in Wanchai area to attend a conference while in Hong Kong. It is located on the banks of the Victoria harbour overseeing Kowloon. Most of the major exhibitions & conferences in Hong Kong are held here.

Currency

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 3, 2008

Favorite thing: One thing I did find interesting in Hong Kong was their currency. Although there is a nationally recognized value of the currency, the banks actually issue their own separate money. For the most part these 100 dollar bills look similar, but if you look more carefully, you will notice that the top bill is drawn on Bank of China paper, and the bottom one is drawn on HSBC paper. I did not have any trouble using either of these, and my friend Nick said that HSBC 100 dollar bills are accepted by the Bank of China as well, so it is merely a process of leveraging the banks for printing currency.

Hong Kong Fish Markets

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 3, 2008

Favorite thing: Although I had often wandered through the streets of American “Chinatowns”, I never got the true sense of the Chinese fish market until I walked through some of the streets in Hong Kong. So many different types of seafood lined the streets, in an intricate pattern of colors, sizes and shapes of fish. There were holding tanks for the crustaceans and other bottom feeders, as well as nicely laid out ice tables with fresh selections of fish I had never seen before. There were fish that looked really great, others that I probably would have passed on, and the certain eels and urchins which I am sure I could not bring myself to eat unless finished in a nice Unagi sauce! All in all, this is definitely a must see on your trip to Hong Kong Island.

• Luxury Travel

• myspices's Profile Photo

Engulfed by big structures ...

by myspices Updated Nov 18, 2006

I am so tiny.......

Favorite thing: Everything here is so big, tall and huge... you seemed to be so tiny and fragile... Stand in compound of the Exchange Square and be surrounded by giant buildings and skyscrappers - you are now trapped in the " concrete jungle ".

Fondest memory: I feel like I am in the "Land of the Giants"!

Designs of skyscrapers

Skyscrapers of Hong Kong

Favorite thing: One of the beauty about Hong Kong lies in the innovative designs of its skyscrapers. Here, you will find buildings of all shapes and designs, and some are being influence by Chinese geomancy which is aim to bring good luck and fortunes.

• Luxury Travel

• Great trip to Hongkong

by lilyjaz Written Feb 12, 2013

Favorite thing: Hi,
    I've been there together with my mom and sister last year and it was one of the best trip I had. The place was really great although there are only a few people there that knows how to speak English. We took an accommodation and tour package because we really don't want to get lost in the place.
    The tour package already took care of everything for us and took us to the best places in Hongkong. The ShenZhen, Ocean Park, Disneyland, accommodation, daily breakfast was entrance fee was already included in the package.
    Regarding the money matter, you should buy Hongkong Dollars before getting there since it's cheaper that way. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Trip! :)

Street Signs

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 3, 2008

Favorite thing: Over the many years of watching travel shows and different movies, you felt like there was a sense of familiarity when walking down the streets on Hong Kong Island. This particular photo really stuck out to me as being the prototypical view of what a city street in Hong Kong would look like. The myriad of signs in both English and Chinese really made me realize that although I had never stepped foot in Hong Kong before, it was all too familiar.

View from Victoria Peak

Beautiful view from Victoria Peak, Hong Kong

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memory was being able to go up to Victoria Peak to see the beautiful skyline of Hong Kong, Kowloon and Victoria Harbour.

Thanks to Yin of VT :)

Yin and me at Lantau Island, Hong Kong

Fondest memory: I have to thank Yin of Virtual Tourist for showing me around Hong Kong during my visit there, including the visit to Lantau Island. She is very nice & helpful and we will always keep in contact !

• Cruise
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Hong Kong Island

Comments

Hong Kong Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Hong Kong Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hong Kong Island sightseeing.

View all Hong Kong Island hotels