Hong Kong Island Restaurants

Expensive sea cucumber
    Crispy Roast pork

Best Rated Restaurants in Hong Kong Island

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

Fatty Crab: Absolutely Absurdly Delicious!

by rudysmom626 Written Dec 22, 2013

After our wildly successful dining at Yardbird, we decided to try another no reservations spot, Fatty Crab. Fatty Crab opened it’s first restaurant in the West Village in NYC, so we knew people who loved it and the type of cuisine we were getting into. The restaurant is said to be based on Malaysian cuisine, but it definitely has a mix of Thai and general Southeast Asian flavors, but also had some unique aspects I had never experienced before (probably bc I had never had Malaysian food before). If this is what Malaysian food tastes like, then I could have it EVERY NIGHT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

The couple next to us had food coming out when we were seated, so we started ordering so much our waiter actually told us to cut back a bit… a first for a restaurant! We got the Green Papaya Salad - (Thai-style pounded salad, chili, lime, peanut - 90 HKD, 11.50 USD) which he warned us was very very hot (the couple next to us barely touched theirs because it was too hot for them), but Sammy and I loved it - arguably the best Green Papaya Salad I’ve ever had and I get it at least once at every Thai restaurant I visit!

Sammy and I both try to be somewhat healthy, so we didn’t order any of the noodles, but some of them also looked delicious. We ordered the Coconut Poached Bass, which came in coconut broth, pineapple and Vietnamese mint - it was delicious. The mini Lobster rolls - we each got one - were superb. My favorite part of the meal was the curries - we ordered the Green Curry Market Vegetables (100 HKD, 12.90 USD) and we wanted to order the Crab (which the restaurant is famous for), but our server suggested we just get the red chili sauce with a side of Pullman toast, so we did that… and it was soo delicious! We actually ordered extra rice so we could finish the sauce! Lastly, Sammy ordered another one of the restaurant’s specialties, Watermelon Pickle and Crispy Pork, which consists of pork belly, fresh herbs, and sweet ginger (150 HK, 19.50 USD), which she said was delicious.

As for drinks, they were also really delicious and affordable. We tried two with very raunchy names (I believe it was Prison Sex and Jail Bait?) which both cost 115 HKD or 15 USD. Both were delicious, but we were concentrating on eating, not drinking that night!

This restaurant was by far the most affordable spot I ate in Hong Kong (a city that prides itself on being expensive) - the portions were huge, the flavors delcious, and the staff charming and helpful. I will be back!

AGAIN, this restaurant is also NO RESERVATIONS.
    Tues - Friday 5pm to 1am, Sat 11:30am to 1am, Sun 11:30am to 10pm, closed Monday

Favorite Dish: Green Papaya Salad!

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• pepemorris11's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Goose, pigeons, sea cucumber

by pepemorris11 Written Apr 22, 2014

Quite pricey. We came unannounced without reservation. 8 of us and they said we could have a table but would have to eat and run by a certain time. We agreed to it and had a great dining experience although i thought the pigeon was not up to standard. Fortunately, there were only 2 pigeons left.

• Seniors

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo

Skycity Bistro - Marriott Hotel, Airport: Near Airport - HALAL

by hassan_abu Written Jun 9, 2012
    halal logo

Wide spread of Halal buffet, ranging from local to Japanese to Indian to Western

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Fondue Fountain

Instant Answers: Hong Kong Island

Comments

Hong Kong Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hong Kong Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hong Kong Island sightseeing.

View all Hong Kong Island hotels