Kowloon Warnings and Dangers

• cages of lovely and colourful birds on display
    cages of lovely and colourful birds on...
    by AusPinay

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kowloon

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF BIRD TICKS at the BIRD MARKET/PARK

by AusPinay Written May 5, 2008

cages of lovely and colourful birds on display

Near our hotel in Mongkok,( Stanford Hotel), we were attracted to visit the bird market cum little bird park where hobbyists and collectors converge to trade /or show off their prized pets/collection.

The colourful bird sand cages were an instant hit to the kids. Of course, no admission fees here as well. We did buy a few bird feeders to take back home made of ceramic and they were just light and easy to take.

However to my dismay, I found myself scratching my feet and legs and until we got back to Sydney, the itching did notstop and I ended up with additional souvenirs- scars from the bird ticks! OUCH!

My boys also had tick bites in their feet!(Only hubby seemed to be immune to them!)

So from then on, I tended to avoid bird exhibit in zoos and other places!

• Birdwatching

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Weather and Typhoon

by victorwkf Written Mar 21, 2008

If you intend to visit Kowloon, do note that the typhoon season is between May and November. If the typhoon is serious, there will be anouncements and everybody is supposed to return home (i.e. curfew). During such a situation, there will be lots of people rushing especially taking transport such as sub-way, buses etc (so do take note).

During the earlier part of the year till April, the weather is cool but tends to be hazy which will affect the views of Kowloon, Hong Kong and Victoria Harbour from the top of Victoria Peak.

• wandernaut's Profile Photo

Beware of the Gurus!

by wandernaut Updated Oct 11, 2007

The first time I was in Hong Kong , my friend and I were approached by an Indian, swathed in white robes, lurking in the shadows at an MRT subway (or bridge? Couldn't remember! Near the riverfront. ). It was rush hour and the 'guru' grab my friend's arm and dragged her towards his corner. He told her that he'd read her future for $$$. She walked away and then he approached me. He said a few things that got me curious, so I spent a couple of minutes questioning him. Then he opened his man-purse and asked me to deposit $100 into it. I had jet lag of course, so I reached into my pocket and pulled out $100 without arguing. All he gave me was a dirty crumpled piece of paper with the answers to my future. Did it come true? Well, I'm still waiting...

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• angelcs's Profile Photo

Beware of you becoming the next top model!

by angelcs Written May 29, 2007

It's always a great idea to dress up nicely. Yet it is very popular in Hong Kong for people to use their cell phones to take photos of you (without your permission!) Sexy mini skirts and vest please hide yourselves! Make sure you cover yourself properly or you might see photos of your underwears online!
    Don't forget to be extra careful when you go on the MTR and buses or places like Mong Kok, Causeway Bay.

• Peak Toilet!

by Blueskies56 Written Aug 3, 2006

Watch were you stand!

Walking dwon from the peak on one of the trails toilet desparation was increasing and low and behold came across a sign. so walked towards this little hut thing and said to my collegue "is this it"? You could smell it! Anyway, it is basically a hole in the ground with some sort of plastic sheet to stand on - with nothing beneath you except............. of course. My tip is to make sure you go when you at the top of the peak or wait until you get to civilisation at the bottom.

• ROCKARIA's Profile Photo

AVOID TO EAT IN SUB STANDARD PLACES

by ROCKARIA Updated Jul 28, 2005

Take good care where you eat!

As i had to take several injections one month before i was due to arrive in Hk i also always took care what i ate at lunch in H.K. Mostly on a day by day basis we went to Pizza Hut as i did not wish to eat any local prepared food at those typical small backstreets Chinese restaurants.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Be careful how you fish...

by easyoar Written Jun 5, 2005

Mind how you fish...

Sorry, this is one of my slightly flippant Warnings and Dangers. However this is a real sign!

I have got to admit, I hadn't even considered electrocuting, poisoning or lobbing some bombs into the sea to catch the fish, but just in case you are, be warned! You could get a $200,000 HKD fine and six months in prison...

This sign was referring to the channel of water between Kowloon and Kong Kong Island.

• ROCKARIA's Profile Photo

TRY TO AVOID BACKSTREET EATING PLACES

by ROCKARIA Updated Mar 9, 2005

THINK THEN DECIDE!

These places are situated in backstreets of H.K. we observed at the time that we were there that they lacked hygene and rubbish can be seen outside next to the eating places.Also the fish being served at these places are caught where there is the outflow of drainage in the sea....so i leave it to you guys what to think!!
    Well someone try to critisize this...then every one is free to try out for himself at his own bowel expence...i stick to having lunch at PIZZA HUT! and dinner at the Hotel!

Instant Answers: Kowloon

Comments

Kowloon Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kowloon warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kowloon sightseeing.