Luk Yu Tea House, Hong Kong

3.5 out of 5 stars 7 Reviews

24-26 Stanley Street 2523-5463 4/5

The other dim sum is just as good.
    by ilovespain
  • Hello, Ah_cheung (part-owner), how the hell are yo
    Hello, Ah_cheung (part-owner), how the...
    by ilovespain
    Dim Sum At Luk Yu
    by bpacker
  • Luk Yu Tea House: A must EAT in HKG, but watch the waiters

by timothybullard Written May 30, 2008

I went to Luk Yu today for the second time. The last time I went, i was with a Chinese friend so it was very easy. This time, I went alone. All of the staff, except for one waiter, were very helpful when I had questions. However, this one waiter seemed put off when I asked for ice for my water and when it was time for the check, this waiter seemed very much in a hurry to help me get the check. I figured out why later. After I had signed my credit card receipt, he asked me at least 10 times for a tip. I reported him to the cash desk, but they didn't seem interested.

Just be advised, Luk yu already adds a service charge to the bill. Only give more if you are not pressered and feel they really worked hard.

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Luk Yu Tea House: The best sweet and sour pork in the world!

by ilovespain Updated Nov 15, 2005

Sweet and sour pork, simply the best!!!

I haven't been in this joint since 1989. This time, I made sure I brought my camera to take a close-up shot of my favorite dish - S and S pork. The chef did a nice job as usual. It looks and tastes just the same as 16 years ago. (there are some taste you just cannot erase if you know what I mean. ;0)) The pork is freshly deep-fried, crispy, you can enjoy the texture of the meat - a bit of the lean pork and a bit of the fatty part. The sauce has just the right consistency (not runny!), covering each piece of pork. The green pepper, chunks of pineapple, some green onion altogether made this dish visually so inviting. My gosh, it was so good! Need to come back here next year!! :0))

• SalsaNikki's Profile Photo

Luk Yu Tea House: Luk Yu Tea House

by SalsaNikki Written Feb 15, 2004

The Tea House is very traditional. You really got an insight into the traditional aspects of Hond Hong w ith most tables being occupied by regulars.

It may have just been the day that we went, however we felt that we were intruding, and also that we didn't get as good value for money as we did elsewhere.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Luk Yu Tea House: Old World Charm Dim Sum

by TRimer Updated Oct 29, 2002

This tea house is a half-century-old living monument to the sedate elegance of old Hong Kong. Stained-glass murals and massive framed scrolls decorate white walls. The teahouse's original black ceiling fans spin lazily in the air-conditioned rooms. Mirrored and marbled private wooden booths are conspiratorial businessmen's havens. To go for yum cha at the Luk Yu is to enter another era. It is best experienced mid-morning or mid-afternoon, outside the breakfast and lunch rush hours when every seat and table is usually reserved for regular customers. This very special teahouse is Hong Kong's appropriate tribute to that 8th-Century tea master - Luk Yu being the Cantonese version of Lu Yu.

Favorite Dish: The dim sum selection is vast and varied - ranging from lotus-root puffs to pork ribs in barbecue sauce to glutinous rice in a lotus leaf - but they're heavier and richer than you'll find in other establishments. Go for the nostalgia and the 1930s charm.

It is sometimes difficult for non-natives to get a reservation here. Have your hotel make the reservation for you.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Luk Yu Tea House & Restaurant...

by kenHuocj Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luk Yu Tea House & Restaurant (ff)
    A visit to this venerable and highly authentic Cantonese institution is essential to any visit to the city. It looks, sounds and feels like the real thing - all wood panels, brass spittoons, black fans and Chinese screens - so be prepared for the noise, bustle, brusque service and a wait for a table: they're all part of the experience.
    ====breakfast/lunch/dinner
    During the Luk Yu Tea House's breakfast and lunch rush hours, almost every table is reserved for businessmen downing dim sum. ====So it's best, as a visitor, to try this traditional teahouse in mid-morning or mid-afternoon.

• Burtty's Profile Photo

Luk Yu Tea House: Luk Yu Tea House

by Burtty Written Aug 24, 2002

If you like the Cantonese dimsu, this is a very traditional restaurant for you to come. The dishes are very delicious and the price is acceptable compared with other good restaurants in Hong Kong.

Favorite Dish: The menu is printed in Chinese characters with local names. Anyway almost every item is fine. Just pick 3-4 dishes first. If that is not enough, pick more anytime.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Various: The Best Joints for Dim Sum

by bpacker Updated Aug 14, 2007

Dim Sum At Luk Yu

1)Luk Yu Tea House ( 24 Stanley St, Central MTR, 7am-530pm)
    2)Lee Garden
    3)Victoria Harbour Seafood
    4)Lung King Heen
    5)Maxim's City Hall

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

Comments

Hotels Near Luk Yu Tea House
4.5 out of 5 stars