Places to eat in Hong Kong

• Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Hong Kong

Nepal Hong Kong: Nepalese Restaurant in Hong Kong

by Madasabull Updated Feb 2, 2014

We sat at a table nearest the small bar, and with mountain music playing in the background, we were set for a lovely meal.

It is a really small place with maybe a dozen tables, if that, but you instantly feel relaxed.

We ordered all sorts of curries from mild to spicy, and the spicy was the best and not too hot. The beer was cold and the food was fantastic, the service was top notch, and the price of the food was pretty high, but, it was really worth it.

If you haven't tried Nepalese food before, and your in Hong Kong, then you really have to eat here. And according to the locals, this is the best place for this food.

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Pickled Pelican: Nice to leave Hong Kong city and chill in a bar.

by Madasabull Updated Feb 2, 2014

Although it was nice to get away from the city and head out to the Southern part of Hong Kong island, we still couldn't get away from high prices.

Here we called into what looked like one of many great bars on the sea front in Stanley Bay, and it was busy, they were all busy, and maybe this might explain the poor service we received, or maybe there is no excuse for poor service.

We were served really quickly for drinks, but we also wanted food, like most people were doing in here. So we asked for the menu, which came really quickly. We decided that my Brother in Law and I would have a burger with fries, my wife Sue would have a starter of Nacho's, and Cathy would have chicken sate'.

Now we hit on the problem of actually ordering, first we got hold of the Manager, who said he would send someone to tend to us straight away, 20 minutes later, no sign of any assistance, so we grabbed him again as he passed us and asked him what the problem was. He said he was waiting to try to find us a seat outside instead of at the table we chose inside. He said he thought we would prefer to sit outside.

We told him that we were happy were we were, but only had a limited time and needed to be served. A few minutes later we grabbed waitress who took our order straight away, and within 15 more minutes our order was ready. The Manager was useless, and he was treating us like we didn't matter, but the waitress was very helpful and sorted our food quickly.

The food was so so, but the beer was good. The price of 4 large beers, 2 burgers with fries, 1 chicken sate (like a starter on sticks), and Nacho's, came to £95. Now that is a lot of money for the type of food we were eating. But this was pretty typical of the Hong Kong that we saw.

I might call in for a beer if I were near that bar, but not the food. Poor service and so so food, at a price.

• Luxury Travel

Red Pepper Restaurant Hong Kong: Red Pepper Restaurant Hong Kong

by Madasabull Updated Jan 31, 2014

My Brother in Law took us to his favorite restaurant in Hong Kong, the Red Pepper.

He said it was the one in the Bruce Lee film Game of Death, and he loved the food and the atmosphere, and just being in a place where Bruce Lee had been.

It is stated as Sichaun styly of cooking, but it wasn't really. It was quite Westernized, with dishes you will be familiar with, and others you would have experienced. That said, some dishes really hurt the eyes when arriving on sizzling platters with chilli. I mean, really hurt the eyes, and made you cough as the chilli in the air burned your throat.

But over all the food was really good. One sad dish though, was the crispy duck, which I was really looking forward to. It arrived with a member of staff wearing white gloves. He placed it on the table next to ours, and started slicing the breast meat off, which he then gave us the slices on a plate, not shredded, but that's OK, it tastes the same.

The worst bit was that he then ran away with the rest of the duck, the wings and legs and all that crispy skin! Noooo! The best bits for us!

It's OK says my Brother in Law, in comes back as a second dish, which it did. But kind of minced with some veg of some sort, on a small plate. It tasted OK, but no way was I believing that what was left on the duck was in this dish, no way. A few minutes later, as it was late, it seemed like all the staff were sat there eating duck soup.

I know, I know, but I was so looking forward to this dish. If I am there again, I will be telling them to leave the rest of the duck on the table, and not let it out of my sight :)

• Luxury Travel

• solopes's Profile Photo

Wildfire: Not as expected

by solopes Updated Jan 5, 2014

I was forced to have dinner in the airport, with lots of time to pick the best place, and used it meandering around the several restaurants, reading menus, trying to choose “the right” meal.

That’s when I saw, at the entrance of one of them… a giant bottle of Portuguese “Porca de Murça” wine. “Portuguese” and “wine” were two words suggesting that it would be THE place.

Wrong! It was an Indonesian restaurant, with no wine at all.

Just in front, a Chinese restaurant… could do. But the views of the dead chicken and geese hanging at the entrance dismissed Fernanda.

Some more few steps, and… a western restaurant, with Portuguese names in the menu, and… wine. That SHOULD be the place.

That was the place.

Well, the food (reasonable) had nothing to do with Portugal, and the wine…was only a reference in the menu – in a restaurant that couldn’t sell any kind of alcohol.

The waiter suggested her costumers’ usual solution: descend to the market downstairs, to buy a beer, and bring it to the table.

I followed the advice (not beer, but… wine) and had a dinner soon forgotten.

YES! Airports are not the best idea for a good dinner!

Tokoro at Langham Place

by swissfondue Updated Dec 17, 2013

Tokoro is a robatayaki-style restaurant inside Langham Place Hotel in Mongkok.

The kitchen is open to the restaurant with the meal ingredients on display. To eat robatayaki style just get the chef's attention and point at what you want for him to cook. This will be done right before your eyes. The Tokoro restaurant is very lively but there are more private areas if you dont wish to connect with the chefs who are going to cook your meal.

Tokoro is located on level 3 and incorporates a nice bar which specialises in serving whisky.

Favorite Dish: The sashimi tuna is wonderful.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Victory Restaurant: Local Food

by cal6060 Updated Oct 28, 2013

I was hungry after walking a few KM on Nathan Road. I found a local restaurant named Victory Restaurant near Nathan Road. This is a typical local restaurant that serves the locals mostly. By reading the food menu, I think the locals have a favor of food that mix between East and West. I have ordered a set of meal that consists of bread with eggs and hams, then on the side is a bowl of soup with spaghetti with some Chinese BBQ porks, and a glass of ice milk tea. The food is simply delicious and inexpensive. It only costs HK$30 (US$3. 86).

I would highly recommend you to eat in one of these local restaurants to either Kowloon or Hong Kong cause they are going extinct in this fast growing economy as local restaurants can't keep up the rental inflation in the city. They are slowly replaced by luxury branded shops or boutiques, and up-market restaurants.

Peking Duck

by swissfondue Updated Sep 22, 2013

I've read that the famous Peking Duck is the national dish of China. A traditional Peking duck is first soaked for a short time in water and then hung up to dry. It is glazed with syrup made from malt and after hanging to dry for a day or so it is roasted in the oven.

If you wander around the historical area of Sheung Wan on Hong Kong Island you will pass by many shops with ducks and other delicacies hanging in the window. It would be interesting to know if this is a dish eaten at home regularly by locals or if Peking Duck is more likely to be served in "tourist orientated restaurants".

If you are looking for a Peking Duck dinner, its on the menu at Peking Garden Restaurant in Star House Tsim Sha Tsui. (see my review)

Nahm at Elements

by swissfondue Updated Sep 3, 2013

Shopping Centres in Hong Kong often have decent restaurants catering for hungry shoppers.
    NAHM in Elements Shopping Mall in Kowloon is popular with locals and can get busy at lunchtime as they offer a set lunch menu.

My chicken fried rice was excellent, full of flavour with vibrant fresh vegetables and herbs and included pineapple and shallots. The price was very reasonable ($HKD68). The menu is a combination of vietnamese and thai cuisine.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Kum Tao Heen 金陶軒: Cantonese - semi private restaurant

by kenHuocj Written Feb 13, 2013

Excellent evening in a private room fro a small family get together meal, despite a full banquet in the main dining room.
    An Aunt is the PA for one of the directors of HK Boys Scouts, a JP and Philanthropist in HK. So she has reasonably easy access to Kum Tao Heen on the 8th F of this multipurpose building.
    invited my cousin and brother in law to join her and hubby fro a meal, whilst it looked simple, my own limited gourmand palate in years past, via my senses said good, as i was to discover later in my surfing , a year later in 2010 it was an %L[Chaîne des Rôtisseurs]award winning restaurant

Favorite Dish: each had it's own uniqueness, but the Preserved Pei Daan and young tender pickled stem ginger lingers.
    麗影紅紗卷 a crispy deep fried with beef filling and dipping sauce

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Various and many: 蛇 羮 Snake Soup

by kenHuocj Written Feb 5, 2013

I have been to Hong on various occasions, three times was in Winter and on two of the trips, i was fortunate enough to be with friends who enjoyed food., and after many bowls of Snake soup at every level, i was able to savour the subtle differences. Coming up tops with a rich mixture in a slightly spicy broth with lots of julienned chicken, snake, abalone, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, pork and ginger.
    here those in the little alleys and/or back streets where ordinary residents from the neighbourhood, sat down, ate and left, the odd tables had others like me from further afield who dawdled and gawked.
    Whilst i savoured them before days of digital photography, if i return this winter or the next, the notables and famed will stil be there and the same families will still be making them with their age old recipes.
    From le Gourmet.tvL*
    a brief what what and
    Stella from Toronto in her Foodie blog expands
    and a behind the scene video

Favorite Dish: 蛇 羮
    Snake Soup, snake soup and more snake soup

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Ser Wong Fun restaurant.: Excellent place for snake soup.

by cachaseiro Written Jan 15, 2013

When i was in Hong Kong i was taken to a restaurant one night that specialises in snke soup and that was very interesting.
    The palce was packed when we got there but we were lucky that one couple just left a table so we jumped in.
    Snke soup is something that i had previously tried many many years ago and i rememberd that i liked it but not really how it tasted.
    Again this time it was very tasty and snake meat is absolutely delicious.
    My friend told me that this place does the best snake soup in Hong Kong and i believe that and i would recommend any visitor to go there and try it out.

Cantonese dining in the sky.: Tin Lung Heen at the Ritz Carlton

by swissfondue Updated Nov 11, 2012

This is a one Michelin star Cantonese restaurant located on the 102nd floor of the ICC building in Kowloon and is part of the Ritz Carlton Hotel. Obviously from this level the view is going to be spectacular but the restaurant does face towards North West Kowloon rather than towards Hong Kong Island so don't plan on viewing the nightly laser light show while you eat your meal.

The food is nicely presented, well cooked and flavoursome and the service is also good, although we did have to call a waiter over to the table a couple of times. I didnt end up looking at the dessert menu as the restaurant provided our table with a complimentary dessert which was a nice touch and all that was needed.

I would describe Tin Lung Heen as more of a special occasion restaurant because of the decor, location and price but I personaly found the dining experience very enjoyable.

Favorite Dish: The Iberian pork belly was wonderful. It literally melted in your mouth. Recommended.

Starbucks: Coffee Time

by swissfondue Updated Nov 4, 2012

I not a great fan of their coffee but I have included Starbucks in this category simply because they serve a mushroom and cheese pastry pocket that I really really REALLY like. I normally have one for lunch when I'm out and about and I have been known to buy one (or even two) at the airport just to use up any left over HK dollars.

Starbucks outlets are all over the city and outlying areas. I must admit that at times the weather is too humid to even think about buying a cup of coffee but I do occasionally have a chilled drink. Starbucks seems to be a haven for young people probably due to the free wifi they provide to customers but is also yet another example of a successful western franchise in Hong Kong.

The store in the picture is brilliantly located on the Avenue of Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui close to the Kowloon Shangrila Hotel.

Favorite Dish: Its called a cheese and mushroom pocket and costs $HK20. This price is current as I have been to Hong Kong recently (Oct 2012)

• solopes's Profile Photo

Beaches: By the sea

by solopes Updated Jun 26, 2012

A good meal at a very reasonable price!

Maybe because it was raining, there weren't many clients around, and we could choose a table just facing the sea, with a breeze cooling the place.

The service was gentle and discreet, and the fish served with french fries was fresh and well done.

• Beaches

• Miaherce's Profile Photo

Charlie Brown Cafe: I love Charlie Brown

by Miaherce Written Jun 13, 2012

Ever since I was a child I am fascinated with The Peanuts, so when I went to Charlie Brown Cafe it felt I was a kid again. I was so amazed with restaurant, everything from the furniture, the ceiling , the food are characterized with a peanut character most especially charlie brown. The food was delicious and the serving was big for me. This restaurant is a must if you are a fan of the peanuts, and/or charlie brown.

Hong Kong Hotels

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Latest: Apr 8, 2014
B P International
Latest: Apr 4, 2014
Ibis Century Hotel (Hongkong North Point)
Latest: Apr 7, 2014
home2home - Abeo
Latest: Apr 9, 2014
Ah Shan Hostel

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

Comments

Hong Kong Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hong Kong restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hong Kong sightseeing.
Map of Hong Kong