Sweet Dynasty, Hong Kong

Kowloon

It Ain't Staying Empty for Long
    Tasty Frid Rice
    by Aidy_p
    Here's My Colourful Dessert!
  • Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Tang Chao or Tong Chiu or Sweet Dynasty: Dinner & Dessert Go Hand In Hand

by Aidy_p Written Dec 25, 2011
    Lovely Menu

My family came straight after Ocean Park and with the cold air, our stomachs were really rumbling. We were game to try anything and everything that the restaurant has.

Favorite Dish: Eating at this restaurant that's known for their dessert, you'll have to separate your stomachs into two portions - One to fit in the dinner, and two, no matter how full you are, you'll have to order a dessert or two.

My family tried their wanton noodles and also their fried rice. Not too bad at all. We then had "chee cheong fan" which was delicious.

Thinking that we had not engaged our stomachs enough, we went on to buy portuguese tarts and also fruit sago dessert! Burp!

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: Great desserts but average food

by leigh767 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Top: Tofu Fa; Bottom: Yeung Zi Kum Lo

With a name like "Sweet Dynasty", which is a Chinese pun on the Tang Dynasty, how can you go wrong with the desserts? The truth is, despite the fame and savoury food that they serve, the most outstanding thing here are the desserts and most locals really just come here for that.

There's a good variety of hot and cold desserts. I personally recommend "Yeung Zi Kum Lo"-- a delicious mix of mango, pomelo, and sago seeds in a bowl of coconut milk. Yum yum! Also tried their "Tofu fa" which is pretty nice-- it practically melts in your mouth and is not too sweet. :0)

For those who like to eat with more flair, Sweet Dynasty has quite a handful of cold desserts that are served in a bowl of dry ice. The dishes arrive in the flurry of frothing white smoke and you could be forgiven for thinking that you are eating out of a witch's cauldron! Thankfully, the white froth subsides so you actually get to see what you're eating. Dishes that are served this way include the "Mango Tofu Fa" and the "Strawberry Tofu Fa".

For those who like even MORE flair and have the cash to boot, there's a BIG bucket of "Tofu Fa" that can be had for HKD 88 (~USD 11). Just don't come with your stomach full.

After doing a bit of online research, I decided to try some of their dim sum and savoury dishes. Thoughts:
    1) Ja Leung -- supposedly, this place makes one of the best versions of this in town. It's basically deep fried dough wrapped in thin white rice flour. You then dip it into a some peanut butter sauce and black soya sauce. The best thing I like about it is that the inside is actually crispy and not soft like some of the Ja Leungs that I've tried before. 3/5 stars

2) Glutinous rice wrapped Maltesers-- you read that right. They tried wrapping those Malteser chocolate balls with glutinous rice and then covered it in another layer of cocoa powder. I'd call it a "failed attempt at food reinvention". 1/5 stars.

3) Carrot cake-- this is the savoury Asian kind, not the sweet Western kind! Quite yummy as they were generous with the ingredients and pan fried it just right. 5/5 stars.

4) Steamed custard bun-- I, like most people, prefer it when the custard in the middle is molten, less solid. The type is serve here has more powder-y, more solid. 3/5 stars.

5) Mushroom Chee Cheong fun-- Stuffed also with enoki mushrooms but all in all, the dish doesn't bring out the taste of the ingredients and can only be called "average". 3/5 stars.

6) Pork and Century Egg Porridge-- Sweet Dynasty's take on this traditional Cantonese dish is of the more "patient" variety. Word has it that they cook the porridge for 4 hours so it has a very fine consistency. 4/5 stars.

7) Fried crispy chicken-- Not too bad at all. You (very lightly) dip pieces of chicken into a plate of salt and pepper. Alas, I had a blocked nose the day I tried this one so can't say for sure if it was the best dish or not. My friend did manage to polish of 80% of the half chicken one her own though!

Fun fact: for those who like star-spotting, they say that celebrities (local and other Asian ones) sometimes do like to visit Sweet Dynasty. Good luck!

All in all, this is just a nice place to burn time thanks to the copious amounts of comfortable booth seats they have. Another great bonus is that it's open very late (to accommodate the late night shopping habits of Hong Kongers). You can still grab a seat if you arrive at 11pm. As long as you don't mind a bustling crowd and brisk service, it's a great way to escape the summer heat for a few hours.

Favorite Dish: The secret is in the desserts! I personally like their "Yeung Zi Kum Lo" but you can't go wrong with traditional favourites such as glutinous sesame balls and mango-anything. (Yes! We Hong Kongers love our mango dishes!)

• monaco05's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty (Tong Chiu): Must Try The Desserts Here!

by monaco05 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Almond Soup

This place is very famous for its desserts... and while I have always known of the existence of this place, I was never quite into tong shui (sweet soup, i.e. desserts) till of late. So on this trip I decided to try this place out...

I wasn't particularly hungry when I got there, but just had to try a few dishes so ended up ordering Carrot Cake HK$13 (S$2.50), BBQ Pork Rice Noodle Roll HK$28 (S$5.40) and rounded off the meal with Almond Soup HK$15 (S$2.90).

First time I've ever had Almond Soup (I normally have Sesame or Walnut) and was quite surprised by the strong almond taste... Everything I had was just ok, nothing particularly spectacular... but I realised that I should have tried the tofu pudding (tau huay), which is one of their signature desserts. And the next time, must remember to order their set meals - very worth it!

• Sweet Dynasty: Sweet Dynasty

by strollingfish Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sweet Dynasty

In Chinese the name is "Tang Chao".

Crystal told me here the "Zha Liang" is best in Hongkong which is deep-fried twisted dough sticks in steamed rice-flour roll. Yes the "Zha Liang" inside is very crisp.A tasty recommendation!

Favorite Dish: Steamed rice-flour roll
    Sampan congee

• vincentf's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: Tsim Sha Tsui - The Sweet Dynasty

by vincentf Updated Apr 4, 2011

A popular Chinese dessert shop right in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui

Favorite Dish: There are some dessert dishes that are placed in a bowl of dry ice! Thus, when the waiters/waitresses bring out your dessert your dessert is smoldering in white mist. I had a bowl of delicious mango in soya been cake.

Main entrance

The ambience was good and so was the food. Silky sweet beancurb and other desserts. They have dim sum, rice, noodles etc. It took us quite some time to decide what to eat. A really long list of menu in English and Chinese.

• THLIN's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: Dim Sum

by THLIN Written Aug 4, 2008

Smell it~~~

I have walked passing by many times, not until my friend Balio brought there I knew how nice this place is.
    This place is just like all other restaurant in Hong Kong, crowded and loud, but as I mentioned before, that's how we the Chinese enjoy your food. Everyone is served with Chinese tea and charged for HKD3 pps, it's fair since the tea is nice. The cultery is fancy and makes you feel nice to dine.
    The most important thing is that if you are tired from endless shopping and wish for something local and nice, they offer a brillant choice for you. One thing I really want to complain is their service... NOT good at all!!!

Favorite Dish: I really like how Cantonese make redbean suop. Taiwanese likes to add dry lychee; while Cantonese likes to add dry tangerine rind, it's different but both are nice. We also order a Chinese seafood pizza; well, it's not really made from flours but from white carrot, a bit like thin carrot cake, also a recommand from my viewpoint. Last but not least, we had one free gift from coupon given nearby. It's coconut flavour with a lot of nuts inside.

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: Food was ok, service was so-so

by chatterley Written Dec 11, 2007

We went to this well known restaurant for dinner and dessert. The food was quite ok, especially the "Gu Lu Rou" (Sweet and Sour Pork) and the various kinds of desserts. The ambience was not very good though, as it was very noisy. The service was also a tad slow and staff did not seem to be very patient. Perhaps it was due to the fact that business was very good and they had to deal with a lot of customers' orders...

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: The Best Beancurd in Town

by bpacker Written Aug 13, 2007

Eating out is a pleasure in Hong Kong, though we haven't been here long, we're already showing some Singaporeans around and introducing them to special eats that can't be found back home. Take the "Tofu Pudding made with mountain stream water and produced originally within the wooden bucket" beancurd at Sweet Dynasty for example. The Hong Kong version of the curd is softer and sticks closer to the original recipe compared to the Singaporean version.

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: For those with sweet tooth

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 23, 2006

I first discovered this place when introduced by a colleague whilst we were shopping in Harbour City. Sweet Dynasty is famous for its desserts and porridge.

I love the ambience which is decked out with old Chinese theme. The marble topped tables and stools looked nice but not comfortable to sit on.

It gets really crowded in the evenings and during weekends.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dessert is the iced red bean soup which comes with a misty presentation (effect from the dry ice!). I also love the porridge here which is very smooth and goes well with the fried twisty bread

• rinxie's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: Innovative Dishes!

by rinxie Written May 16, 2005
    Fav. Food!

The restaurant is crowded when we were there during lunch time. Noticed the tour coaches parked outside the restaurant and realized that it's on the tourists' agenda to lunch there too...
    The ambience is typical Hk's dim sum restaurants; a lot actions were going on...

Favorite Dish: I guess my picture says it all for me! =p
    The dish with kiwi fruit on it was especially appertising as the sauce is made up of orange and some other things which I couldn't quite make out of...

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Sweet Dynasty: Sweet Dynasty

by Audrey118 Updated Jan 11, 2005

Very touristy, and popular among Japanese tourist who likes to stay around the Harbour City hotels alike Prince, Marco Polo etc. You can see one to two tables taken up by Japanese tourist in smallish group tour.

Very crowded place, despite having many rivals next door, but the place stay bustling and I always enjoy it here for breakfast or Asian dessert.

Favorite Dish: For the Asians who like porridge, there is so many varities there, and each and every one equally good. The porridge goes very well with yiao tieu which is a long crispy fried bread.

Their little dainty dishes like dim sum are good; radish cake excellent with morsels of Chinese sausage.

Many locals go there for dessert. In summer they have variety of chill desserts liek soybean curd with fresh fruits.

But I particularly like those nourishing desserts such as black sesame and i have in the pic, a mixed up soyabean curd with sesame paste!!!,my husband love glutinous rice ball with sesame paste in gingerish syrup.

If you go in a group of several people, you can have a freshly made bucket of soyabean curd....it is very nice and smooth. The unique part of their dessert is there is so many mix and match...

I also like their little pot rice - poh chai fan!!!

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

Comments

Hotels Near Sweet Dynasty
3.5 out of 5 stars