Yung Kee Restaurant, Hong Kong

by Pete_Thera
  • iwys's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: The Roast Goose is Legendary

by iwys Updated May 4, 2007

Yung Kee Restaurant may not be much to look at from the outside, but its food is legendary in Hong Kong, and it has won numerous awards. The clientele are mostly local foodies.

Fortune Magazine named it as one of the top 15 restaurants in the world: the only Chinese restaurant to be included in the list. It has won Hong Kong Tatler's Best Restaurant in Hong Kong award nearly every year from 1988 onward, including 2004.

Favorite Dish: The roast goose is superb. The bird's nest soup, barbecued pork and braised frog are good too.

• jil_coleslaw's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Yung Kee: it's famous but...

by jil_coleslaw Updated Apr 29, 2006

13 VT'ers had a gathering at this famous Chinese restaurant on April 30, 2004. Well, we ordered a set:
    1] Assorted platter (Chicken, BBQ Pork...)
    2] Deep fried fish filets
    3] Prawn
    4] Vegetable
    5] Seafood soup
    ......
    We were billed around HK$3500 (HK$300 per person) and I don't think the dishes were excellent.

Due to the bird flu, there is no duck (the most famous dish) in Yung Kee.

If you do want to meet some celebrities and dine at the famous restaurant, Yung Kee might be your choice.

Favorite Dish: My favourite was the preserved egg (black in colour and did not cook), but all VT'ers from foreign countries had no intention to try :)

• jono84's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Delicious Duck

by jono84 Written Aug 3, 2004

Im a Yung Kee Junkee

I recommend to all travellers who visit HK to spend atleast one evening in a top restaurant.

What makes the Yung Kee so great is the way you can watch some food being prepared outside the main kitchen, whilst the rich decor and the typical chinese spin tables add to the experience.

I went with my cousins of whom i met whilst out there, and they ordered their favourite dishes; this being a vast array of oddities, including octopus, squid, duck and.... chickens feet (although this was a little on the chewy side)!!

The best thing about eating out in china, as many agree, is the way all meals tend to be shared between a group, and i find this such a more interesting way of going out to eat. It means you can try a larger mixture of foods, and in my experience, you seem to consume alot more food than usual!! (So dont plan anything too active for afterwards...)

Favorite Dish: As i said i only visited this particular restaurant once, so i couldnt say exactly what is the best dish, but i can guarantee you will love the duck or the dim sum.

• Yung Kee Restaurant: Believe it or not..one of the best deals in town.

by tan1415 Written Feb 9, 2007

It has taken me several trips to hong kong before I set foot in this long restaurant. It was always highly touted in guidebooks(not always a good thing) and has been renown with winning plenty of culinary prizes.

Problem was that this place was not ideally located for me. For lunches I prefer convenience route. For dinner I always have a list of must-try places. With many great restaurants in HongKong a place that's famed for it's roast goose was not really high on my list.

Anyway this is a huge place...it has several floors.One of the fanciest chinese restaurants I ever tried. But even though it's huge...it seems to be always packed.When I came there during lunch I came in quite early and I was actually lucky because I was able to be put on a waitinglist.Partys that came after me,were simply refused because everything was full. So reservations is a MUST.

While I was waiting for my table I got quite excited..I just knew it was going to be a good foodie experience.I decided to splash out. I ordered dishes like sharks fin with crabcream soup,1000year old eggs, a mix of roast goose and cha sieuw, Fried prawns with crab roe etc.
    Even though it was not a lot for 2(small portions)...the bill was shocking. I guess it's logical given it's fame, quality of food,high end location that it was a a very expensive place. This turned out into one of my most expensive lunches EVER.
    But luckily the food was good enough not to have any regrets.

Well there is a bit of regret..because just because a dish has the fancy and expensive ingredient...it didnt mean that it was the better tasting one. To my utter surprise I rather enjoyed the simpler dishes more than the more pricier dishes.
    I think I could have saved myself a bundle sticking to the simpler and cheaper dishes..and it won't surprise me if it would be much more tastier and more enjoyable.

Favorite Dish: I call this place one of the best deals in HongKong. Of course they have the fancy dishes with the topend ingredients...but this is a real fancy place along with it's fame and location they dare and do ask a premium for their dishes. Frankly even the simple dishes are considered more expensive than normal.Because the dishes are quite small in comparison with other places.
    But they more than make up for this with the quality of the food they serve. The fancy or simple dishes..they all get the same treatment and as a result the simple dishes are simply exquisite.The roast dishes..like goose and cha sieuw are simply awesome.

I have never been in a fancy restaurant like this where there is such a big diversity in price. You can easily order a dinner or lunch for a real reasonable price.Just stay away from the expensive ingredients like Abalone, Sharkfin,Brid's nest and when you find what you like..just make sure the price is within budget. This way you can easily order an incredible meal at one of the best retaurants in hong kong for a very reasonable price. I bet this eating experience would be really hard to beat.

Anyway this diversity in price makes this place unique. I don't know any other restaurant or cuisine that's able to do this. Can you think of a michelin star french restaurant that is able to do this? My advice to you...take this chance to see what true masters of chinese cuisine are able to achieve using simple and affordable ingredients. You won't regret your visit here and would be an unforgettable asian (foodie) experience. Just make sure to make your resrvations in time.

Before I forget...if you decide to get takeout.(Yes this restaurant has it too) than we are talking about real budgetterritory here.Even if you are on a real tight budget...anyone can afford a taste of their dishes. For example roast goose with rice at 30HKD!!

So in one restaurant we have from very expensive to reasonable to budget all under one roof and one kitchen...truly unique and only in asia and hong kong.

• yatingchen's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Goose dish

by yatingchen Written Jan 4, 2008

Goose

Yung Kee Restaurant in Hong Kong is like Din-Tai-Fong in Taiwan. They are top restaurants.
    Yung Kee is famous for goose dish. It's nice and you can try. Unfortunately, the price is a bit unacceptable. Well, the chance is rare.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Go for the Dim Sum

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

Service was a bit slow due to the large numbers of people eating here on a Sunday afternoon but the food was delicious. Dim Sum menu was in English as well as Chinese and you order instead of getting it from carts as they pass by. An easy way to try Dim Sum for the first timer.

Favorite Dish: Dim Sum-try the steamed dumplings, the fried shrimp dumplings, roasted goose, egg tarts

• Yung Kee Restaurant: Freezing cold - would not recommend this place

by jab64000 Written Dec 17, 2005

We went here after seeing a review in a guide book and on VT and were not impressed. Service was quick which was as well because this restuarant must be one of the coldest places I have ever eaten!(and I am from Scotland)The Air Con was so cold that the meal was spoilt- it was cold as soon as it hit the table and we were so cold that the waiter brought my wife a blanket!!(I kid you not) I complained to the manager but nothing was done. I cannot comment on the food as it was cold and I ate it with my jacket on. I would not go back here.

Favorite Dish: anything hot

• chazaqamatz's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Roasted Goose - Must Eat !

by chazaqamatz Written Oct 12, 2006

Yung Kee

overall is good. the waitress introduce this set menu to us so that we can get to taste the award winning dishes. dishes come in appropriate portion.

Favorite Dish: ordered the "Deluxe Menu with Awarded Dishes for 2 person" HK$680 (exclude tax). Both my hubby n I are extremely satisfied with the dinner! especially the Roasted Goose

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Hong Kee Seafood Restaurant: Live seafood by the sea

by aukahkay Updated Feb 1, 2006

Hung Kee Seafood Restaurant

Hung Kee Seafood Restaurant is located in Sai Kung in the New Territories. It has the rustic charm of an old fishing village by the sea. The best time to go would be in the late afternoon to view the magnificent sunset over the sea before tucking into a sumptous seafood dinner.

Favorite Dish: Cream sauce baked Australian lobster - succulent and sweet
    Wine sauce bamboo clams - juicy and delicious

• Lemonita's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Yung Kee Restaurant

by Lemonita Updated Sep 27, 2003

A quick snapshot of the window of Yung Kee

Yung Kee must be one of THE most famous restaurants of roasted goose on Hong Kong Island. It is situated in Central District and well served by public transport.

There are 3 floors in this restaurant. The food on the ground floor is a little bit cheaper (although food quality is the same as the 2 other floors) because tables are being shared between customers. Thus, the ground floor has a more "fast-food" atmosphere.

From the outside, we can see all the roasted goose (and other roasted meat) on display. They all look appetizing !

Favorite Dish: This restaurant is famous for its ROASTED GOOSE, which is really really yummy !!!
    Also, try their "thousand year" egg, it may look weird but they taste really good !

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Yung Kee: Yung Kee

by Audrey118 Updated Jan 11, 2005

Favorite Dish: roast goose, and in winter time their chinese sausages, and wax duck.
    steam chicken
    overall an excellent and very established Chinese Restaurant. I have been there since I was a little kid (more than 30 odd years back), and still at the same location. They serve also good dim sum, and dishes. Fish dishes in Hong Kong are over priced compared to where I come from, so I never opt for them. Each trip since I was little, my parents and now when I travel with my husband we would pack home some roast goose for our family. They do it so well in a very nice take away box, complete with variety of sauces.

The quality of green vegetables in HK is excellent. Just have them plain with garlic or with dried conpoy over them. yum

• vigi's Profile Photo

Thousand Year Egg (Pei-Dan)

by vigi Updated Nov 20, 2004

Errr... thousand-year egg? Are you crazy? NOPE! Don't be scared by the name and its black color look. This is one of a Chinese delicacy and a famous dish in Hong Kong! They are actually only 100-day old duck eggs preserved in a micture of charcoal and lime. They're dark green in color and have a strong aroma.

Favorite Dish: Two typical ways of serving the preserved egg:
    1) served with rice congee with pork (Pei-Dan Xau-Yuk Zhou)
    2) Cut into quarters or eights and eat with slices of pickled giner root (as photo).

• vigi's Profile Photo

Yung Kee: ROAST DUCK / GOOSE

by vigi Updated May 9, 2003

Roast Goose, Hong Kong (CHINA)

Yung Kee has been in business for decades and has the awards to prove it. It's famous for it's roast goose. Recently been selected as one of the ten best restaurants in Hong Kong. This is authentic Cantonese cusine and is a real dining experience. They may need to dust off the English menu, but they do have one!

Favorite Dish: Yung Kee - simply the BEST Roast Goose in town. Pluck up your courage and give one of their famous "Millenium Eggs" a try.

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Good food here too.

by ilovespain Written Nov 15, 2005

Pretty good restaurant. Famous for its roasted goose, 10000 year eggs and pickled ginger. I was told that I should try the roasted goose one last time before the avian flu comes back. For me, I always like the roasted pigeons instead, served with rock salt and lemon wedges. Various awards and favorable write-ups make this restaurant one of the better known among the "foreign devils". :0))

• edelng's Profile Photo

Yung Kee Restaurant: Wonderful roasted meat

by edelng Written Mar 27, 2009
    Main entrance

We had a terrific dinner here. We order half roast goose, half chicken, some suckling pig, century eggs (as recommended by the waiter), vegetables and tofu. The dinner costs about HK$1000 for six adults and 2 children. A good experience for us.

Favorite Dish: Roast goose and suckling pig

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

Comments

Hotels Near Yung Kee Restaurant
4.5 out of 5 stars